BOUGHT A CAR WITH PRIVATE MUMBER PLATES - mavho

Hi all, l bought a car in june this year with private plates on it. Before l drove away the car l asked the seller are u sure about the plates and he said its ok. Anyway after about a week the seller phoned asking for the new keeper slip back as he wanted to send it to the DVLA inorder to get back the private number plates. l refused to send the new keeper slip to him as it was the only proof that l purchased the car. Well after about 8 weeks l still had not recieved the V5 I was advised to complete a V62 of which l did. I then recieved the V5 today but with the original plates not the private plates. l phoned the seller and he said got his private plates back and has a letter to confirm it. and he has put the plates on his new car. l am confused because my car still have the private plates. So it means 2 cars have the same plates. Please help how do l go about it

BOUGHT A CAR WITH PRIVATE MUMBER PLATES - tony g
( So it means 2 cars have the same plates. Please help how do l go about it )

Sorry you're wrong ,you now have incorrect plates on your car ,potentially you can be fined ,you may also have the wrong tax disc .

Your cars plates and tax disc must match your v5 registration number ,you need to take your v5 plus both parts of your driving license to a car parts supplier and order and fit the correct plates .
BOUGHT A CAR WITH PRIVATE MUMBER PLATES - mavho

l bought the car on private plates so how can they send me V5 with old plates not private.

BOUGHT A CAR WITH PRIVATE MUMBER PLATES - Armitage Shanks {p}

Did the price you were asked, and which you paid, specifically mention the plates as part of the deal?

Did the receipt you got mention the plates, and if did, was there a price mentioned?

BOUGHT A CAR WITH PRIVATE MUMBER PLATES - martint123

The insurance may well be for the wrong reg nr as well. I see trouble looming

This isn't looking any better! You say "as it was the only proof that l purchased the car." The V5 isn't proof of purchase, it isn't event proof of owenership. It names you as the Registered Keeper and that is all. Do you have a receipt from the seller

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 14/09/2012 at 13:10

OP has lost interest! Hope he has got some insurance sorted!

BOUGHT A CAR WITH PRIVATE MUMBER PLATES - tony g
I guess he's lost interest because the truth hurts ,it would have been an ongoing dialogue if someone had agreed with him .
BOUGHT A CAR WITH PRIVATE MUMBER PLATES - Butterfly
Or maybe his question has been answered and he has sorted things out!
BOUGHT A CAR WITH PRIVATE MUMBER PLATES - thunderbird

I guess expecting posters to say thanks is going to far.