Cayenne Diesel S - Ultimate soft roader - unthrottled

First up-I'm not thinking of buying one!

Secondly, I know this breed of vehicle (rightly) attracts scorn.

But, for what it is, I think it seems OK. The V8 diesel must surely sound fairly decent-even at idle. 630lbf. ft, and 380 ponies...mmmm! Supposedly almost 35mpg combined. All for £58K. Must be cheaper than a RR Vogue-and you won't need to tow a spare car around for when the Rangie breaks down. No hybrid system or having to sit in parsimonious silence at the lights. Does it come without privacy glass? I think i want one!

Cayenne Diesel S - Ultimate soft roader - TeeCee

Something else the RR won't do.

One of my colleagues got to go on a beano to Porsche's test facility. Apparently the Cayenne goes round the track just as effectively as their other products.......!

Certainly fast enough to have his boss screaming at Porsche's test driver for mercy in sheer terror.

Cayenne Diesel S - Ultimate soft roader - craig-pd130

Wouldn't mind a blat around in one, although I prefer the Toureg's looks.

Modern super-diesels are quite bewitching, my brother-in-law had an Audi A5 with the 3.0 V6 (240PS / 370 ft-lb) and it didn't half go. Any gear, any rpm above idle, it just whooshed. Gave him nearly 35-ish mpg too, which isn't bad for a heavy 4wd car.

Cayenne Diesel S - Ultimate soft roader - Collos25

Made in Leipzig on the VW platform certainly ticks most of the boxes if you can afford it.

Cayenne Diesel S - Ultimate soft roader - Bobbin Threadbare

We know unthrottled has a soft spot for the frog-like looks of the Cayenne.

Cayenne Diesel S - Ultimate soft roader - motorprop

Thought these had a V6 3 litre Diesel, not a V8 ?

There are a number of engine options a V8 being one of them.

According to their cataloque.

Edited by Collos25 on 13/09/2012 at 19:17

Cayenne Diesel S - Ultimate soft roader - SteveLee

Seen quite a few of 'em go through the block cheap - similar year Rangies are holding their value better. I like driving them - problem is you have to look at them before you get in.

The 4,5 V8 is petrol.

They've just resurrected the VAG 4.2 diesel V8. I've never heard one, but I bet it sounds awesome.

Cayenne Diesel S - Ultimate soft roader - gordonbennet

To be fair, the Range Rover's V8 Diesel is a very addictive engine, that V8 throbbing especially on overrun has to be felt, if i had the money to throw away and could stomach the faults and the regular service desk visits i would have one, pity the interior wood effect formica stuff is so poor, spoils the ship IMO.

Not had the pleasure of driving a V8 Diesel Amazon yet, but seen one driven in anger, that huge vehicle can really move and not a trace of black smoke at any point as usual for Toyota Diesel.

Soft roaders don't do a lot for me, except for Forester and the strangely hated X3 (but with 3.0d) which have the ability to put serious power down in any weather totally sure footed.

The big stuff like Toerag, Cayenne, Q7 and X5/6 are too bling and in your face for me, i'd feel a right twerp in one, like some wannabe photo opportunity seeking celeb.

he big stuff like Toerag, Cayenne, Q7 and X5/6 are too bling and in your face for me, i'd feel a right twerp in one, like some wannabe photo opportunity seeking celeb.

I completely agree. They're totally useless. For some strange reason I think the (bone stock) cayenne looks reasonably well proportioned. I think the frog-eye look is easier on the eye than the usual macho front ends.

I think the Lexus 600h wins the ugly award in the luxury SUV gang though. It just looks like like a bloated bodyshell perched awkwardly on a Yaris platform. The 'h' makes it even worse...

Cayenne Diesel S - Ultimate soft roader - coopshere
Drove an earlier model some time ago and it was awesome. If you are in the market for such a beast then it has to be on the list to try. Would have to be in a dark colour with dark windows though otherwise just looks too ordinary, it has to look mean to give itself the presence.