BMW 3 Series Coupe - rearend noise and vibration - leopole

The noise I hear from the rear is mostly on the right side when I first start taking off or turning at very low rpms. Sometimes it sounds like a drum beat and sometimes a deep bass speaker.

The vibration, which is not coming from the front end, starts at about 50-55 mph but gets violent at 65. I can tolerate 60, but I haven't a clue what's causing these problems. I would appreicate any insight.

leopole

Edited by leopole on 03/09/2012 at 01:56

BMW 3 Series Coupe - rearend noise and vibration - Peter D
Inspect the rear tyres very carefully, inside wall ont outer. Check the wheel bearing and spin the wheel for any noises. Please explain gets violent at 65. Regards Peter

yeah thanx Peter,

I definitely need new tires and all wheel alignment, but before I do that I have to replace the control arm assembly on the front driver side. Money is a problem at the moment. This car is a 1993 and I am amazed at all the parts that are underneath the thing.

Maybe vigorous is a better word for what happens at high speed. At 65 it sounds as if I dont slow down somethings going to break or come apart.

leopole

BMW 3 Series Coupe - rearend noise and vibration - gordonbennet

Leopole, just thinking aloud here, you haven't perchance got an aftermarket universal type set of wheels on that car and the suspect wheel has the spigot adaptor ring missing?

If thats difficult to understand i can explain further, i know i talk in riddles sometimes, my SWMBO looks quite baffled though i'm baffled at what she sees in me anyway...;)

Hey Gordon,

What I have are 16" wheels that came off a 7 series bmw. I wouldnt need an adapter ring in this case, would I?

thanx

Hello Leopole.

I've had a poke nose on the wheel specs and the wheel bore is identical @ 72.5mm assuming the wheels are genuine.

However there is a big difference in offsets, whether this is having an effect is above my pay grade you'll need far better advice than i can muster, suspect there could be considerable extra loading on the wheel bearings, i expect the car looks like its got 1 to 2" wheel spacers fitted, which in effect it has.

Hang on, rechecking and i'm blowed if i can find the same wheel spec site, typical.

Thinking the situation might be the other way round, the wheels closer to the centre of the car due to less positive offset.

Still has an effect on handling and bearing loading as the centre line of the wheel isn't where it should be.

This may or may not be having an effect, and i'm certainly not qualified to pass judgement either way.

I could help you with W124 MB's and wheel selection, could nearly write a book on what not to do..;)

Edited by gordonbennet on 09/09/2012 at 23:07