Ford Mondeo - Rust trouble - Residesinsurrey

I am interested in a buying a Ford Mondeo car , its a lovely drive . The problem is that it has slight bubble rust by the petrol cap ( has been resprayed). Has anyone experienced this with a car before ? any input would be welcomed . It passed its MOT in February , mileage 120000 and its a 2001 1.8 Verona Lx. Any opinion on reliabilty , fuel economy and etc would be welcomed .

Many Thanks

Ford Mondeo - Rust trouble - wazza

Well it is 11 years old and cars do eventually rust. There are plenty of other mondeos to chose from.

Ford Mondeo - Rust trouble - Collos25

If thats the only problem on a 11 year old Mondeo then think yourselve very lucky.

Ford Mondeo - Rust trouble - thunderbird

Our 2002 Mondeo had bubbling rust in 2003.

My worry is that it will spread quickly and cause dangerous damage ! I only need a run around for a year and bit . Thanks so much for the input from you all very grateful .

Ford Mondeo - Rust trouble - Bobbin Threadbare

I would be more concerned by rust in the wheel arches or on any of the underneath of the car body. You can sort the rust out with a small metal grinding wheel, and then prime, sand and spray it, on the bodywork.

Thanks for your input Bobbin

Ford Mondeo - Rust trouble - corax

My worry is that it will spread quickly and cause dangerous damage ! I only need a run around for a year and bit . Thanks so much for the input from you all very grateful .

If it's only being used for a year or so and it's cheap, then I wouldn't worry about it. It's superficial rust. It's structural rust that you need to look for - along the sills, jacking points, suspension turrets e.t.c.

It'll add to it's character.

Thanks for your input Corax

Ford Mondeo - Rust trouble - Roly93

If the car runs and drives well there is little chance that a bit of rust would become serious in the assumned remaining lifespan of the vehicle unless there are gaping rust-holes now. So if its nice and cheap dont worry.

Ford Mondeo - Rust trouble - primeradriver

Main problem with the MK3 Mondeo that I've found is interior build quality. It looks good but the minute you actually attempt to do anything with it, it all falls apart in your hands. Second only to the old Vauxhalls in this regard -- even the old Daewoos had stronger plastics in the hinges, clips etc.

But on an old car this doesn't really matter -- they'll all be dropping to bits by 11 years old.

Thanks for all the feedback Everyone

Ford Mondeo - Rust trouble - daveyK_UK

I rest my case

http://www.daciaforum.co.uk/topic/706-do-you-have-a-rusty-duster/page-27