Vauxhall Meriva 1.7cdti 2009 - Struggling up hills, high revs, clutch not engagin - american pie

My Meriva is struggling with getting up hills. There seems to be a loss of power and the revs on car are high. The clutch does not seem to engage properly either. Is the car supposed to be this slow?

I have not had the car long - a month and it is a big worry, as we had the same model before but 2005 and never experienced these problems.

Vauxhall Meriva 1.7cdti 2009 - Struggling up hills, high revs, clutch not engagin - Peter D

Did you buy it from a dealer. It it appear your cluch is slipping thus the high revs and the effective loss of power. Regards Peter

Vauxhall Meriva 1.7cdti 2009 - Struggling up hills, high revs, clutch not engagin - american pie

I bought it from a garage, although not a vauxhall dealer. Our previous Meriva which was exactly the same model though 2005, we did not suffer with problems like these. I am really worried that it is something really big wrong with the car.

I have the car on finance and have made the first payment but do not know where I stand as regards to getting a full refund. Have had the car was in my possession since the 28 July, but these problems did not come about until about the 12 August.

Vauxhall Meriva 1.7cdti 2009 - Struggling up hills, high revs, clutch not engagin - Peter D

Contact the dealer and get an appointment for them to inspect and rectify the problem. Regards Peter

Vauxhall Meriva 1.7cdti 2009 - Struggling up hills, high revs, clutch not engagin - Collos25

Peter is correct clutch undoubtebly gone.

Thanks for your your reply.

Surely, driving 500 miles on holiday in it in Cornwall and Devon, the cluch would have had it by the time you returned home and you wouldn't be able to drive the car at all. I don't know, this car is driving me mad, I wish I had gone to a Vauxhall dealer and bought one.

AT MY WITS END WITH THE MERIVA! Took it back to where I bought it (a car supermarket, never again!) It has been looked at by a local garage and they got someone from DEKRA in to have a look, both say no problems. The car is now going to a Vauxhall dealer on Monday for them to have a look.

The bite of the clutch is right at the top, you only have to place your foot gently on the clutch and you can change gear. Surely you could be riding the cluch if you placed your foot there whilst driving. Is this one of the following problems.

Clutch.

Does the throttle body need cleaning,

The sensor on the throttle pedal causing the high revs.

EGR valve

or anything else I have had not had the car for 2 weeks come wednesday, they have taken so long in trying to tackle the problem. Please help. I feel like selling the car and replacing it with another, I am so annoyed. I know there is a problem, but no one can seem to find it.

Many thanks

Vauxhall Meriva 1.7cdti 2009 - Struggling up hills, high revs, clutch not engagin - thunderbird

They have to sort the car for you, simple a s that. If tey cannot you need to go through the correct proceedure to reject it. Since you have bought teh car through finance they should help you since they have an interest in the car, infact the car is on HP they actually own it meaning you cannot sell it.

NO the Clutch is shot, that is why the bite point is at the top. Regards Peter

Thanks for your message, any idea of how long the clutch will last?

The car has been bought from Carshop. This means they do not own any of the cars they sell, they sell them on behalf of a third party,and if after 30 days, the car is not sold, it is returned to the person that owns it (normally a company)

The car has now been seen by a local garage, DEKRA car inspection agency and a Vauxhall main dealer. The first two could not find any problems. Vauxhall say that the only thing the matter with the car is that the bite of the clutch is right at the top and say that the clutch is normal function. When I asked them how long it would last, they said it could last 3 months or years.

Going back to the finance on the car, Vauxhall will not remove the gearbox to see how badly worn the pressure plate is, as they have not had permission from Carshop to do this. I suppose they would if the clutch had gone altogether, but it has not. Carshop want us to collect the car and monitor the situation. Do you think I am doing the right thing or should I just leave it with them until the problem is rectified.