Ford Galaxy - Engine blankets - worth it? - Alanovich

I am starting to venture on to the motorways more and more frequently with my 2003 Ford Galaxy 1.9TDi. This, of course, reveals the principle drawback of the otherwise excellent vehicle - it's very noisy and not at all a relaxing place to be on drives of up to 8 hours (breaks excluded).

So, me being me, I started to consider throwing money at the problem by upgrading to a more modern, more quietly engined diesel propelled chariot. However, a thought occurred to me. What if I could reduce the noise to a comfortable level in the cabin? Is there any way to do that?

So, I am thinking about fitting an engine blanket. However, I have no experience of these, and don't want to buy one and fit it only to discover that it makes hardly any difference.

Does anyone here have any experience of using one of these, and if so what sort of results did it give?

Ford Galaxy - Engine blankets - worth it? - gordonbennet

Never heard of an engine blanket.

it might be worth removing the carpets from where the noise appears to be worse and have a look see how good or bad the cars insulation is, might be easier to insulate from inside the vehicle.

I have effectively improved the soundproofing on two of my family's cars recently, C2 VTS and Aygo suffered from really bad road roar, C2 was unbearable especially on its OE Michelins, now thankfully replaced with some decent rubber..;)

Upon investigating there is no proofing whatsoever in the boot or around the rear wheel arches of either vehicle just a thin plastic moulding or boot cover, i have cut to size and lined with insulation and both are now considerably quieter for this, the booming has gone and rain spattering on the wheelarch doesn't deafen any more.

Couple of hours did each thoroughly, and in both cases the front end and engine wasn't really a problem, the majority of noise has gone now the rear is subdued.

Proper car insulation is cheaply available from the usual auction site, both loose lay for glueing in if needed and self adhesive.

Edited by gordonbennet on 28/08/2012 at 17:16

Thanks, gb. I'll look in to it.

This is the sort of chap I was thinking about:

www.noisekiller.co.uk/acoustic_blankets_products.a...p

Edited by Alanovich on 28/08/2012 at 17:28

Ford Galaxy - Engine blankets - worth it? - Avant

I had an insufferably noisy Mercedes B200CDI a few years ago: putting some soundproofing stuff on the inside of the bonnet lid made no difference. Where it was needed was the bulkhead - too difficult.

If you do go for a new car, the VAG common-rail diesel engine is much quieter then the PD.

If you're the same Alanovich who used to post on here a few years ago and live not far from me in Berkshire, a warm welcome back: a warm welcome even if not!

Yes, Avant, it is I. Thanks.

Ford Galaxy - Engine blankets - worth it? - craig-pd130

A lateral sugestion -- how about foam ear pellets, of the type that motorcyclists use to cut down wind noise fatigue? These still enable you to hear fine, they just reduce the general racket.