The A9, myths and dangerous roads - tyro

In Scotland, it is a well known fact that the A9 Inverness to Perth road is one of the most dangerous roads in Scotland, if not the most dangerous.

Or so the press always tell us.

For example, we have this, from the Dundee Courier: tinyurl.com/9932jzd

And we have this from the Sunday Herald: tinyurl.com/9tqytvc

Is it true?

10 years ago, the AA in conjunction with EuroRAP published a map of the UK showing the risk rating of Britain's major roads using accident figures for 1999 to 2001. It showed the A9 Perth to Inverness as low to medium risk, and not one of the more risky roads in Scotland.

EuroRAP did the same thing for the years 2008 to 2008 in conjunction with the Road Safety Foundation. (tinyurl.com/9n5svsd) Not surprisingly, they figures said pretty much the same thing. The A9 was not one of the more risky roads in Scotland - and was again categorised as low to medium risk.

The explanation, of course, is that the Sunday Herald is looking at raw figures for the number of fatal crashes, whereas EuroRAP is looking at the number of casualties for the amount of traffic carried. The A9 carries quite a lot of traffic compared to the riskier roads, and hence it is not surprising that there are more fatal crashes.

So is the A9 one of the most dangerous roads in Scotland? Yes - but only in the sense that travelling by car in Britain is more dangerous than jumping out of an aircraft flying over Britain without a parachute.

The A9, myths and dangerous roads - concrete

I travelled the A9 for quite a spell about 5 years ago when we did work for the Highlands Council. It can be a frustrating drive with lots of single carriageway and heavy goods vehicles. Occasionally an HGV would pull in when a convoy developed behind, and we could all pass and speed up, unfortunately not many did that. This did lead to some dangerous manouvres when frustrated drivers decided to overtake. This is the real danger on the A9 and other similar roads. Sheer bad driving. I am not blaming HGV's, they pay a darn site more for the 'privilege' of using the road and have the same right as anyone else. The other factor is; the road is heavily used July to September by holiday makers, whose driving skills don't match the challenge of a long journey North. It is usually those drivers who perform the dangerous manouvres, sometimes with tragic consequences. The strange thing is; quite often when arriving at Inverness and getting held up in traffic, HGV's you have overtaken some 40 miles back are right behind you. So what's the point? Might as well sit back, relax and put on a CD.( that's because you can't get a radio signal for quite a part of the journey). Cheers Concrete

The A9, myths and dangerous roads - RT

The A9 has a higher % of fatalities than normal on it's single carriageway sections although the overall casualties may be average - this is caused mainly by the high closing speeds in head-on collisions due to frustration/impatience caused by the use of 3 different speed limits for different classes of vehicles - ie 70mph for cars/bikes, 50mph for goods vehicles (2000-7500kg), buses and trailers and 40mph for goods vehicles over 7500kg.

My own experience on the A9 with a trailer limited to 50 is that cars queue behind but the majority don't bother to overtake when the road is clear in front.

Even on the dual and 2+1 overtaking sections, the poor lane discipline of UK drivers simply means they all queue up in lane 2 because everyone has forgotten the "keep left except when overtaking" rule and they can see another speed limited vehicle half a mile ahead.

There may also be an element of tiredness because of distance already driven - there's plenty of laybys but car drivers rarely use them, there's no full service areas between Perth and Inverness but car drivers won't pull off into the few villages now bypassed.

The A9, myths and dangerous roads - tyro

"...car drivers won't pull off into the few villages now bypassed."

The absence of any full services areas between Perth and Inverness, is, in my opinion, a problem. This is, of course, a result of longstanding local (& central?) governement policy - in order to encourage people to go into the towns on the A9 communities and use the services there.

See, for example, this: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/25954/0026322.pdf

And of course, you are quite correct - most drivers simply don't stop between Perth and Inverness because there isn't a services area on the road, and they are reluctant to "detour" into the bypassed towns and villages.

Speaking personally, I never used to stop between Inverness and Perth. The opening (and growth) of House of Bruar has made a huge difference.

The A9, myths and dangerous roads - IRC

In one case I do blane the HGVs. Tesco HGVs seem to drive at 39mph and never pull in to let queues past. I've been at the end of a massive queue for 20 miles behind a Tesco HGV. Eventually I left the A9 at Kingussie and took the old A9. The convoy on the main road was so slow I overtook it on the more windy old road.

40mph is a ludicrous limit for HGVs on the long straights and gentle curves of the A9.Other HGVs seem to drive slightly faster. I don't know why Tesco HGVs are the exception. Monitored by a Tesco tracking system?

Overtaking is hard on the single carriageway sections of the A9 because of a poor design. It was designed with long gentle sweeping curves which make overtaking hard. The alternative, and correct for single carriageway two lane roads, design strategy is for long straights between bends.

For the A9 though given the fact most of it is built over relatively open land worth next to nothing a better idea would have been to make more of it dual when it was built.

The A9, myths and dangerous roads - unthrottled

Tesco HGVs seem to drive at 39mph

A lot of haulage companies seem to be limiting their trucks to speeds lower than the already ludicrously low limits for HGVs making 'slow racers' more prolific. One of the few examples of good practice that I saw in the USA is that trucks travel at normal highway speeds, largely eliminating that dangerous speed differential and frustration. Nothing like an 18 wheeler bowling along at 70 to clear the Guardian readers out of the middle lane!

Don't blame Tescos

HGVs are restricted by law to 40mph on single carriageways in the UK, even when fitted with a 56mph limiter - and it would show on their tachographs if they exceed that

The A9, myths and dangerous roads - Ed V

Thanks all, for the geography lesson for us suvernas. Computer and aerial photos are so useful too - now I know where Kilgussie is, as well as Inverness - even found Caledonian Thistle's ground!

I didn't blame Tesco - I blamed their drivers for not pulling over every few miles. Holding up other traffic for 20 miles at a time is inconsiderate driving.

I didn't blame Tesco - I blamed their drivers for not pulling over every few miles. Holding up other traffic for 20 miles at a time is inconsiderate driving.

Abandoning the need for car drivers to know how to overtake properly and safely?

What, legally, constitutes "slow-moving" as they're the only vehicles that should pull over to allow traffic to overtake - I contend that a vehicle physically capable of travelling at the speed limit of the fastest class of vehicle, ie 60mph, but only restricted to a slower speed by highway regulations just isn't a slow-moving vehicle.

One of the features of the A9 between Perth and Inverness are long straight sections with no blind brows permitting good lines of sight in good weather - in bad weather the "enforced" speed reduction is no bad thing anyway.

"One of the features of the A9 between Perth and Inverness are long straight sections with no blind brows permitting good lines of sight in good weather"

Yes, a good line of sight showing the almost constant stream of oncoming traffic preventing overtaking. When the slow HGV at the front has a two mile queue of cars behind it the odd overtaking chance is not enough.

And 40mph is slow when the other traffic would otherwise be doing 60mph. Having speed cut by a 3rd for 20 miles at a time adds significantly to journey times and is likely to increase danger due to frustration leading to dangerous overtakes. I've seen it happen.

You obviously think that car drivers have some sort of priority and that HGVs should pull over every mile and delay them even further as they accelerate back up to "speed" every time.

There can't be an "almost constant stream of oncoming traffic" - because the oncoming traffic will be similarly affected which will provide large gaps to overtake in.

I can only go on my own experience of the A9 in summer at peak times, towing a trailer - the congestion is caused by drivers who WON'T overtake even when it's clear - that's not a "queue" that's a deliberate decision to stop behind a vehicle.

Highway Code Rule 169

"Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow-moving vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass".

Highway Code Rule 169

"Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow-moving vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass".

That doesn't define large or slow-moving - the only reference in Highway Code I can find is "SLOW means 5mph or less" applied to level crossings.

I think you're trying to use a definition of "anyone slower than my maximum permitted speed"

The advice applies to all drivers just more so to drivers of large vehicles. I think an HGV is a large vehicle don't you?.

Any driver with a queue of 50 or 60 vehicles behind them should stop every so often and let the faster traffic past. It's just good manners never mind following the advice of the Highway Code.

Edited by IRC on 29/08/2012 at 23:44

The advice applies to all drivers just more so to drivers of large vehicles. I think an HGV is a large vehicle don't you?.

Any driver with a queue of 50 or 60 vehicles behind them should stop every so often and let the faster traffic past. It's just good manners never mind following the advice of the Highway Code.

"Let the faster traffic past" - in my experience, the "faster" traffic ignores obvious safe opportunities to overtake most of the time - I see no reason for the "slower" vehicle to pull over in those circumstances.

The A9, myths and dangerous roads - skidpan

I drive the A9 between Perth and Aviemore at least 4 time a year and like all trunk roads with HGV's it can be a pain at times. BUT there are good stretches of dual carraigeway that allow overtaking unlike many trunk roads and these are being added to on a regular basis.

The main problem I find is drivers of cars that have lost the ability to overtake when the conditions allow. They sit 6 foot behind an HGV with no way of seeing the road ahead and a queue of them builds up all following each other like sheep. If you try and overtake them them they get irratated and flash and honk when you have to pull back in, the worst offenders actually attempt to stop you pulling in.

If these drivers would get a move on or allow others to overtake unimpeded the A9 (or any road) would be a better and safer place.

To add in almost 20 years of using this road I have only seen one really bad accident that I suspect must have been fatal for all concerned. It was at the southern end of the southbound side of the dual carriageway section between Dalnaspidal and Dalnacardoch at about 7.30 am when the roads are pretty much deserted. We were the 4th car on the scene after the crash and it was like a war zone, The only car involved (an Astra think but difficult to tell due to the severity - totally destroyed) was on its roof in lane 2 and the armco was flat for at least 100yds before the car. At this point the northbound and southbound are not visible to each other thus there was no car on the northbound affected. The people from the van and 2 cars that had stopped waved us on and looked shocked to say the least. I would estimate it was 10 minutes later when we saw the emergency services heading northbound from Pitlochry but I suspect there would have been little for them to do. This did not happen on a "dangerous" section at a busy time and was obviously not the roads fault.

The A9, myths and dangerous roads - craig-pd130

I can only go on my own experience of the A9 in summer at peak times, towing a trailer - the congestion is caused by drivers who WON'T overtake even when it's clear - that's not a "queue" that's a deliberate decision to stop behind a vehicle.

100% agree -- as the old maxim has it, it's the second person that makes the queue, not the first.

The A9, myths and dangerous roads - Zuave

I drive along this road quite often when heading between home (Skye) and Newcastle. Also, in the winter, up to Inverness.

I find one of the biggest problems in overtaking is that, where there are good chances on the long clear straights, there are numerous speed cameras. I don't know what the coverage is of you average GATSO (etc) and if i reached over 60mph whilst overtaking (er-go on the opposite side of the road) I would be caught on camera? I do agree with others though that there is a distinct lack of willingness/ability to overtake even when there is a perfect chance. Then again, if someone is not confident enough to do so I would prefer they did not attempt it, no matter how good the opportunity!

As for the slower moving HGVs etc. I would suggest something similar to parts of Germany be done and limit the hours of operation of said vehicles to specific hours. between 19:00 and 08:00 perhaps? Also freight should make better use of the railways and then, by HGV, distribute locally.

However, the A9 is only dangerous when frustration arises or with overseas tourists during summer. It only takes a moment to be on the wrong side of the road then it doesn't matter how good and careful you are....it#s down to the airbags!

happy travels one and all.

Zuave

As for the slower moving HGVs etc. I would suggest something similar to parts of Germany be done and limit the hours of operation of said vehicles to specific hours. between 19:00 and 08:00 perhaps? Also freight should make better use of the railways and then, by HGV, distribute locally.

Moving HGV traffic off the A9 between Perth and Inverness is a non-starter - the rail line is only single track with little or no spare capacity.

Limiting HGV operating hours will increase costs even further for those in Inverness and further North.

Perhaps more 2+1 carriageway can be built allowing overtaking half the time but the cheap (relatively) cable-type of central barrier is out of favour as it treats bikers very harshly and bigger barriers are expensive.

The plans already exist to create a dual-carriageway with grade-separated juctions all the way - but the big issue is finance as Scotland now has no chance of Westminster contributing a penny.

The A9, myths and dangerous roads - thunderbird

We live close to the A616 Stocksbridge bypass (just north of Sheffield) and this is notorious for the number of serious accidents and fatalities. For those who do not know the road it has average speed camers for most of its length and on the hilly part is 2 + 1 lanes for safe overtaking. Yet people still drive recklessly and get killed and everytime the headlines in the local free sheet say "Killer Road Strikes Again".

Went to Whitby the other day, on the way home we were in a 40mph queue behind a lorry on the A169 (the road to Pickering). No car showed any interest in overtaking, eventually got behind the lorry by passing 2 or 3 at a time (including a Police Hilux). But in this case it was not the lorry at the front of the queue, in front of the lorry and only noticable when there were bends in the road was a Ford S-Max.

Bet the lorry driver was happy.

We live close to the A616 Stocksbridge bypass (just north of Sheffield) and this is notorious for the number of serious accidents and fatalities. For those who do not know the road it has average speed camers for most of its length and on the hilly part is 2 + 1 lanes for safe overtaking. Yet people still drive recklessly and get killed and everytime the headlines in the local free sheet say "Killer Road Strikes Again".

Went to Whitby the other day, on the way home we were in a 40mph queue behind a lorry on the A169 (the road to Pickering). No car showed any interest in overtaking, eventually got behind the lorry by passing 2 or 3 at a time (including a Police Hilux). But in this case it was not the lorry at the front of the queue, in front of the lorry and only noticable when there were bends in the road was a Ford S-Max.

Bet the lorry driver was happy.

I've had that towing a caravan - the impatient drivers hopping past the queue behind me only to realise there's just as much queue in front as behind.

A big part of the issue is that most drivers treat speed limits as average speed targets - they aren't, they're upper limits which automatically means that lower speeds are (or should be) perfectly acceptable.

The A9, myths and dangerous roads - memyself-aye

Lower speeds would be acceptable if the authorities were not continually lowering maximum speed limits on roads across the UK. In Warwickshire a few years ago the County Council conducted an assessment which resulted in speed limits being reduced on many roads to a ridiculous degree (60 down to 40 etc) this results in many cautious drivers only travelling at 30 leading to frustration and dangerous overtaking from those behind these drivers. I suspect much of the frustration with HGV's would dissapear if they were allowed to travel at 50mph on roads where they are currently restricted to 40

The A9, myths and dangerous roads - thunderbird

I've had that towing a caravan - the impatient drivers hopping past the queue behind me only to realise there's just as much queue in front as behind.

I most certainly was not being an impatient driver. If other drivers wanting to overtake safely and get on with the job of getting home so offends you then you should not be on the road. Do you never overtake when you are not towing. Expect you close the gap to prevent other drivers getting into the space in front of you.

I most certainly was not being an impatient driver. If other drivers wanting to overtake safely and get on with the job of getting home so offends you then you should not be on the road. Do you never overtake when you are not towing. Expect you close the gap to prevent other drivers getting into the space in front of you.

I don't mind drivers overtaking safely - why should I?

Yes I do overtake when I'm towing - the HGVs have a lower speed limit than trailers.

My safety gap is always big enough for an overtaking driver to pull into.

There's another question here, not directly related to the A9 - when traffic builds up behind a slower vehicle, just who has the priority to overtake first - the driver immediately behind the slower vehicle or the fastest driver from way back down the queue.