Ford Ka, 2010 model - brake pad/ disc replacement - argybargy

Hi All

Son's girlfriend needs brakes and pads replacing on a 10 reg Ka, and because she's skint I may volunteer to take it on myself. Could someone please tell me whether Ka brake replacement is any trickier than the relatively simple procedure on the Focus; and if so, why?

I don't have a manual for the car, so a quick idiot's guide would be appreciated. As with the Focus, are there just the two caliper pins to remove before shifting the caliper and taking the pads out? Would there be any ABS wiring or similar that might complicate the job?

Cheers in advance.

Well, I have to say I'm disappointed. I know there are plenty of knowledgeable guys who visit and contribute to this forum, and it's more than likely that one or two of them have worked on a Ka. Its a shame nobody was willing or able to either reassure me that yes, 2010 Ka brakes are straightforward, or that no, there are various issues I should be aware of, and this is what they are....

Guess that for once, I'll have to look elsewhere.

Thanks anyhow for reading my OP.

Ford Ka, 2010 model - brake pad/ disc replacement - gordonbennet

I didn't answer simply because i don't 'get' Fords or Fiats so haven't delved, i doubt others have experienced this car either, will still be under warranty and is very unlikely to be bought by someone prepared to slide underneath and start DIYing.

For what it worth i would expect the job to be straightforward, possibly torx or similar bolts to hold the caliper on, make sure whatever you use to undo whatever the caliper bolts are is a good quality tool, bolts likely to be rusted in place already and the last thing you need is a rounded of torx or bolt head..;)

For normal bolts in situations like this i use good 6 sided only (impact pref) sockets if i can get them in, if the bolt snaps off you have a clean bolt shaft, not a rounded off headache in a place impossible to get an angle grinder.

Ford Ka, 2010 model - brake pad/ disc replacement - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

In an effort to help -- I read that the Ka chassis shares many components with the Fiesta. If the discs and calipers are similar to the Fiesta (and pictures on e-Bay suggest that is so), then changing the discs and pads is really quite straightforward. If you seek out a set of Mintex "Brake-in-a-Box" discs and pads, they come complete with instructions. If yours are similar to the Fiesta, you'll need a good quality 13mm socket. Gordonbennet is right here- I snapped a cheap 13mm socket trying to get the caliper bolts out. The slide-pins are covered with rubber plugs. Prise out the plugs and you'll find that the recessed pins need a long 7mm hexagon key (Allen key) to get them out. Now - most sets of Allen keys do not include a 7mm! Beats me as to why! I've come across so many things that need a 7mm! Screwfix used to sell a set of long keys that included a 7mm, but I've just looked on the web site and I can't find them now. Replacing the pad retaining spring will get you cursing!

Thanks, Mr E, and thanks also to Gordon. I suppose I was really just after some confirmation that the Ka is likely to have a typically straightorward Ford brake pad/ disc set up; and that you've both provided, along with some excellent advice re the tools required to boot. I've ordered a set of Mintex pads and discs and now await the weekend with a little less trepidation thanks to your kind contributions.

Cheers again.

Ford Ka, 2010 model - brake pad/ disc replacement - jc2

Surely a 2010 KA is Fiat based not Ford and,so,no reason to be like a Fiesta.Having said that,still simple to work on.

Ford Ka, 2010 model - brake pad/ disc replacement - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

Yes--- I didn't realise that they're now Fiats! With Bendix brakes, are they? There's just so much to keep up with!

Ford Ka, 2010 model - brake pad/ disc replacement - Chris M

If the brakes are Panda/500 based then Haynes do a manual. Your local library may have one.

Edited by Chris M on 29/08/2012 at 13:54

Update, for information: got my hands on the car today, took a wheel off and had a shufty. Instead of the Focus arrangement where upper and lower caliper securing pins are unscrewed and removed from the back of the caliper, there's a single lower caliper pin which is secured by a split pin. Removing the split and tapping out the pin allows the carrier to be hinged upwards so that the pads can be removed/ replaced. Once the wheel nuts are removed the disc remains secured by two pins which can be unscrewed with a 13mm/ half inch socket. There's a wear pad sensor wire, but I'm unsure how that's arranged because the original wire was hanging loose and doing nothing in particular. Presumably there's a way of inserting it into the inboard pad so that it touches the disc when the pad wears down?

That caliper set up sounds more FIAT than Ford.

Couldn't say, Chris: never done a Fiat.

Update on my post above because the job turned out to be a bit trickier than I expected. To get the discs off and replace them you have to remove the fixed part of the caliper, which is bolted to the back of the hub. Two 17mm bolts, not particularly tight on this occasion but on an older car could be difficult to undo. Once those two bolts are undone the whole lot can be lifted out of the way and the rest is a relative breeze.

The wear sensor on the old pad was attached via a plastic insert in the hole at one end of the inboard pad, passenger side. The new pad didn't have this insert, so I just pushed the new sensor through one of the holes at the end of the pad. When it's in good and tight there should be enough wire proud on the disc side to set off the warning light once the pad is worn.

That fixed part of the caliper you describe sounds identical to my ex MiL's Fiat 127 circa 1972, except for wear sensors which were the preserve of rather more expensive machinery....and arguably not needed when servicing wasn't in starship frequencies.

It was a decent basic design though and if it aint broke etc.

Glad the job went well.

As an aside been talking to my son earlier today, who doesn't maintain his vehicles meticulously like his dad...;)

They have a 05 Honda CRV now on 90k, he took it into their indy and had the brakes looked at, it seems the last set of discs fitted all round (previous owner) were simply slapped on without adequate cleaning up of the hub face, good smooth sharp brakes now the job has been done properly, and virtual clip round the ear 'ole for the bodger who did them previously.

Just out of interest, 2 new tyres and discs/pads all round for £500 i didn't think was too bad, i'd still have rather done them meself mind..;)...hmm maybe he doesn't like how i do things.

Lot to be said for doing the job yourself, i do usually but i do have a gem of an indy on tap if needed, get good parts and with a bit of care and attention to detail, you know the job is done well.

Ford Ka, 2010 model - brake pad/ disc replacement - Peter D

Did you have all the torque figures to re-attached the caliper or did you just guess and put you Son's girl friend at risk. Regards Peter

I've never possessed a torque wrench in my entire life and have no plans to buy one, Peter. I simply leaned on the socket till the nuts squealed in pain, and they're unlikely to be coming off again except with an air tool or a three foot extension bar wielded by the Bulgarian Freestyle Wrestling Team. None of that will matter to us because she's changing the car fairly soon. But thanks for your concern.

Gordon, I use an excellent mobile mechanic and his semi-retired garage mechanic mate for any jobs I can't handle myself--which is most things--but just recently I've developed a fervour for tackling simple brake maintenance. Certainly can be very satisfying, even if the torque settings go by the board in the process. :0)

Ford Ka, 2010 model - brake pad/ disc replacement - bathtub tom

I've a torque wrench, but rarely use it.

An old engineer told me the size of fixing is decided by the force required to hold it together and the correct torque for the fixing can be obtained by two fingers on the end of the correct size spanner.

I don't recall anything coming undone (except for a trailer wheel I forgot to tighten).

''I've a torque wrench, but rarely use it''

Likewise, used common sense as in most things for all my considerable years fixing my own and others' cars, nothings fallen off or broken yet.

We managed to cure V4 Fords of constant head gasket failure though, sturdy socket and high quality T bar on those head bolts, aided and abetted by 3 ft scaffold pole for extra leverage pulled on till the pips squeak, never a head gasket problem again..;)

Edited by gordonbennet on 02/09/2012 at 10:38

I too have a torque wrench which I've only ever used on head bolts and a stub axle nut.

However, over tightening a fixing until it squeals is a big no no in my book. Shows a lack of mechanical sympathy. Reminds me of people who overtighten a water tap - as long as the water has stopped coming out why do some people continue to turn?

I'm with you bathtub, although the theory doesn't work for everything.

Edited by Chris M on 02/09/2012 at 10:42

So to cut to the chase: although peeps don't generally believe it's vital to use a torque wrench on, say caliper securing bolts, then apart from head gasket bolts and hub nuts is there anywhere else on a car where you might tend to employ one?

''apart from head gasket bolts and hub nuts is there anywhere else on a car where you might tend to employ one''

Various engine and drivertrain bolts, usually involving major surgery though, clutch plates, camshaft carriers, bearing caps, that sort of thing, oh and lorry wheels.

Ford Ka, 2010 model - brake pad/ disc replacement - bathtub tom

''apart from head gasket bolts and hub nuts is there anywhere else on a car where you might tend to employ one''

Pass it to the gorilla that does up the wheels when you get tyres fitted.