Ford Fiesta Zetec S MK 7 - Private Reg Help! :-) - Liamjay

Hi All,

Im just wondering......

Im thinking of buying a private reg, only im in a conundrum.

Im wondering how bad it is with getting pulled on an illegal spacing.......

Basically ive seen a few plates one of them is like this (not the actual plate of course just in case i buy it, but you should get the idea!)

L18 MHU

What the probability be of getting pulled if i had it as L18M HU ?

The other ones i would have legally spaced as its like this :- V888 LJJ, H777 LJJ etc etc

Which do you think 1) Looks better and 2) is a better buy as there both £250.

Thanks in advance,

Liam

Ford Fiesta Zetec S MK 7 - Private Reg Help! :-) - coopshere
There is always a chance of getting pulled. Simple answer is if you can afford to pay the fines take a chance if you can't don't.

the thing is, if you get pulled a couple of times cant the DVLA take it off you?

Ford Fiesta Zetec S MK 7 - Private Reg Help! :-) - RT

Pulling you for the number plate would be an easy reason to stop you for a thorough check and cause you delay and harassment - they probably charge you as well.

Ford Fiesta Zetec S MK 7 - Private Reg Help! :-) - Doc
Beware: What could happen if you display incorrect number plates?

The police can issue fixed penalty fines for illegally displayed number plates.

Offenders could face a maximum fine of £1,000 and in some cases the number plate may be withdrawn. (With no compensation)

Vehicles with illegally displayed number plates may fail the MOT test.

Edited by Doc on 21/08/2012 at 21:53

I know, but im on about what happens in the "real" world. I.e the maximum sentence for stealing a apple is 7 years.....But would this really happen. Anyone can copy and paste off a .gov.uk website..... Im wanting "real world" Personal experiance and opinion answers.

Also it has been publisised that the law on number plate spacing is being relaxed:-

http://www.civiclife.net/board/topic/123717-rules-on-number-plate-spacing-to-be-relaxed/

Ford Fiesta Zetec S MK 7 - Private Reg Help! :-) - Collos25

The ultimate penalty in the UK I believe is having the cars registration taken which makes the car unuseable plus a hefty fine,whats the point in making ourself more obvious and also a plonker as well.

Ford Fiesta Zetec S MK 7 - Private Reg Help! :-) - galileo

I can think of several reasons NOT to have a personalised plate and only one logical reason to have one, which is that it means it is less obvious exactly how old the vehicle is.

Ford Fiesta Zetec S MK 7 - Private Reg Help! :-) - Buster Cambelt

I have never understood the whole "personalised plate" band wagon. The very nature of a number plate is that it is unique, or should be, and that's pretty much a definition of "personalised" isn't it?

but it being "personalised" is it being "personalised" to something that means something to you, as a car is a big part of someone i think.

After a house (which you personalise with your own taste, pictures, wallpapers, books furnishings, extenstions etc etc) a car is your second biggest purchase, so you should be able to personalise it...........One way of doing this is via its Reg. Just like painting the front of the house or sticking an extention on it....Your making it personal to yourself. Thats the point.........

Ford Fiesta Zetec S MK 7 - Private Reg Help! :-) - 1litregolfeater

Anybody of any intelligence wouldn't reply to this.

But you have by stating that unhelpful point.......Thus meaning your self certifying that dont have any intelligence......Noted.

Ford Fiesta Zetec S MK 7 - Private Reg Help! :-) - No FM2R II

I think that was the point. It wasn't funny until someone fell for it.

Ford Fiesta Zetec S MK 7 - Private Reg Help! :-) - davecooper

How many people actually get pulled for this sort of thing? There is a car in my road with a seriously tampered with plate (11 turned into an H with a fixing screw etc) and there is another with very dark tinted windows all round. Both of these have been like this for probably 3 years or more. These are so obvious that I can only think the Police turn a blind eye to these "low level" offences.

Ford Fiesta Zetec S MK 7 - Private Reg Help! :-) - Bobbin Threadbare

I knew someone who had his reg plate done up Everton style, with a rude slogan about LFC supporters under the reg itself. He never got nabbed. However, any private reg plates that are fiddled with in this manner (curly lettering, fixing bolts, odd spaces, little pictures) merely mark the driver out to be a giant scally.

Ford Fiesta Zetec S MK 7 - Private Reg Help! :-) - lordwoody

"Thus meaning your self certifying that dont have any intelligence......Noted."

Duh.