Uniroyal Tyres - rg
Folks,

I am planning to replace my nearly worn fronts on the XM 2.5 TD estate with Uniroyals. or maybe rotate the health backs to the front. (discuss - arrgghh)

Anyone got any expereince of the brand? Particularly on the XM. Have Andy Bairsto or Terry B left the building?

Michelin Pilotes are on at the moment. The Uniroyals are £15 cheaper. From my local long-established Tyre centre, Derek Campbells in Yarm, North Yorkshire.

rg
Uniroyal Tyres - Dynamic Dave
Used to have them fitted to my mk2 Cavalier. No probs with them. I affectionally nicknamed them Gorilla tyres, as per the primates used to advertise them!!
Uniroyal Tyres - BMDUBYA
Always had them fitted to my BMW 525, superb grip both in the wet and dry, and seem to last ages. I have had the last lot on for about 2 years.
Uniroyal Tyres - PB
They were standard equipment on the 5-series BMW, I've bought a few for 520/540 and found them good all round compromise (grip, wear, noise). They even lasted well on the 540 depite no traction control!
PB.
Uniroyal Tyres - MB
How did you get on with your Uniroyal tyres - did you fit them in the end? I've got buy 4 tyres at the moment and the price is attractive but I don't want to skimp for the sake of it?
Any other views on the Uniroyal brand?

thanks
MB
Uniroyal Tyres - jc
They used to be called US-royals and before that Kelley.They had reasonable gip and good wear characteristics.
Uniroyal Tyres - jc
Grip not gip.
Uniroyal Tyres - solara
Bought on recommendation of garage as hard-wearing tyres for my 306.
Found that tyre walls were very thin compared to other tyres, and even a minor scrape/bite against kerb punctured tyre.
Both tyres punctured on tyre walls within a year, and I am not a bad driver! Good in the rain though.
After that bought budget tyres which were much more forgiving.
Uniroyal Tyres - terryb
I'm still here Rob - don't know how I missed the original post 11 months ago!

I always stuck with the Michelins on my XMs but I got an excellent deal with CSMA discount from ATS - which has a branch at the end of my road.

Did you go Uniroyal in the end?

Terry
Uniroyal Tyres - rg
Hello Terry,

I have had Euromaster from ATS recommended on the XM owners forum, but I went for something called "Stunner" (!!) in the end which had served me well on my departed 405.

That was around 10K ago and I am fairly pleased. Grip wet and dry has been good. And I have tested this!! Maybe noise is quite high, but they were around £50/side compared with at least £70+ for others. My concern was to not put something expensive on that would be worn out in 20K. I would rather wear something cheaper out, safety permitting!

Fortunatly, I have a wise and experienced independent tyre station around a mile away, and I trust them.

The XM is superb, and is in its element at higher speeds. Yet is very agile and responsive! Plus carries heavy loads with ease!

I suspect that I am addicted.

Best wishes

rg

Uniroyal Tyres - terryb
Rob
Welcome to the club. Everyone I know who has owned an XM says it's (I quote) "The bestest car I've ever had". I wouldn't disagree with that - my only reason for changing was needing a 4x4 for towing across fields. Plus they down-rated the suspension so it would only handle a trailer noseweight of 85kg. Now if Citroen started making a 4x4, I'd be seriously tempted....

Terry
Uniroyal Tyres - rg
Terry,

Apparently the 2.5 makes a particularly good towing machine.

My book says noseweight of 110KGS. It's a '97

It would in theory just about recover my Swift Conqueror if my Monterey ever had a misfortune...

However, the Monterey is excellent at reversing the caravan uphill at my favourite CL (farm site) in the wet...

BTW if you ever want to know a good site (CL) with awesome views in the East Midlands (10mins J25 M1) let me know...too precious, quiet and uspoilt to advertise here..

Now, a Hydractive 2 4x4...that would be a machine...

Cheers

rg
Uniroyal Tyres - Vansboy
Buy them!

Had 2 sets on the XJ, got about 40,000mls from 1st by swapping front to back, to even wear.

Went for ZR rated for 2nd set, noticed how much quieter they were in comparison.Still loads miles left after we covered 25,000mls.

Very good value/deals each time we bought, ao no need to go for 'budget' names, really.

Noticed your towing comments, have you seen

www.towsafe.co.uk

&

towsure.co.uk

Might be of interest.

VB