peugeot 106 - choosing a 'new' hatchback - sweetpea33

I have the above (1999) and time to change. Important criteria for me are :

narrow width (160-170cm region so can get in garage) and roomy boot for a small car (similar to 106).

I am a complete car illiterate and would welcome suggestions as to suitable (newer) models. Quite taken with a VW Up! but as that is brand new it is out of my price range (4.5-5k).

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

peugeot 106 - choosing a 'new' hatchback - gordonbennet

Obvious replacement is Aygo/107/C1, but boot might disappoint, C2 might do but 2 door only and the boot isn't a lot bigger but very economical whilst acceptably rapid in 1.4 Diesel guise, my old mate used to get around 70mpg on his work commutes from his 140k ish C2 Diesel.

Any one of the numerous small cars made by the Koreans, including Chevrolet (Daewoo), First gen Toyota Yaris.

106 was a real favourite of mine, a superb little all rounder.

Do not be tempted by any small car with an automated manual gearbox, satans worse ever design and will bring you nothing but anguish.

edit...idiot that i am i forgot the obvious, Fiat Panda.

Edited by gordonbennet on 14/08/2012 at 21:54

peugeot 106 - choosing a 'new' hatchback - madf

Chevrolet Spark..

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/chevrolet/spark-2010/

peugeot 106 - choosing a 'new' hatchback - Leif

Obvious replacement is Aygo/107/C1,

edit...idiot that i am i forgot the obvious, Fiat Panda.

Aygo etc is a bit small inside. Pandas are nice, they feel surprisingly roomy for a small car due to the sit up and beg style. Also look at Ford Fiesta and VW Polo. Oh and Vauxhall Corsa. Never liked them myself, but said to be good.

Take a look at the car rags in nwsagents. Do to a supermarket, and you can flip through them without buying ... and Honest John's reviews too.

peugeot 106 - choosing a 'new' hatchback - Bobbin Threadbare

The Aygo is surprisingly large inside - my husband can drive my mum's Aygo very comfortably and he is 6ft 3. It can take 5 adults without squashing anyone.

peugeot 106 - choosing a 'new' hatchback - retgwte

fiat panda every time

peugeot 106 - choosing a 'new' hatchback - Avant

Avoid anything with only 2 side doors: the doors are bigger and you'll have more trouble getting in and out of the car in the garage.

Measure carefully! if you're happy with the smallest size of car, I;d say the chopice is between

- 5-door Aygo / C1 / 107

- Hyundai i10

- Fiat Panda

- Kia Picanto

You should be able to get any of these at 1 to 2 years old for your budget.

peugeot 106 - choosing a 'new' hatchback - unthrottled

The 106 is a hard act to follow. I used to dismiss it as an econobox substitue for a real car. i was wrong. They are superb little cars, Surprisingly fun to drive, cheap and very reliable.

peugeot 106 - choosing a 'new' hatchback - puckdrop

Not sure whether they'd be "new" enough for you, or reliable enough (not read the guide on them), but surely the obvious candidate should be the Peugeot 1007 (the one with the sliding doors) ???

This reply is to all who have responded - thank-you very much for taking the time to provide advice.

I love my P106 and would really rather prefer not to part with it. It has been very reliable and I wish they still made this model or similar. I don't like the P107 with all the lumps and bumps that seem to be present on many new cars these days.

I will look more closely at all the recommendations - I had already come across most of these in my search - some I think already discounted because of their width. There seems to be surprisingly few narrow cars, with a tendency to bulgy, bloated body shape..

I like the look of the Spark except for the bars on the roof! but it's boot is definitely much smaller than P106. I think in order to get what I want I will have to compromise - narrow width with small boot and having to lower back seat whenever I need the boot space - bit of a pain...

I am aware of the potential problem of long doors on two door models (though my P106 is 2 door and I manage - tight squeeze sometimes depending on how well I've parked it!). I think the 2 door versions of new cars these days do have longer doors than the 106 so I may have to have 4 doors - not really required, but will make lowering the back seat easier.

The onlysuggestion I have never heard of is the P1007 with sliding doors - thats sounds an excellent solution and I will look for details of that now.

Once again many thanks to all who took the time to reply

peugeot 106 - choosing a 'new' hatchback - primeradriver

Mitsubishi Colt should also be on your list -- these are underrated and are cheap to buy second-hand. Usual Japanese reliability and the interiors are a step up from the Koreans/Aygo etc.

Just checked and the width of the 3-door is 1695mm.

Edited by primeradriver on 17/08/2012 at 18:30

peugeot 106 - choosing a 'new' hatchback - gordonbennet

''The onlysuggestion I have never heard of is the P1007 with sliding doors - thats sounds an excellent solution and I will look for details of that now.''

Nooo.

I've seen many in Pug workshops with the interiors fully stripped out trying to fix various electrical problems.

Also where the mechanism for the top of the front door sliders is tucked behind the roof lining just by the side of your head both sides gives a peculiar sensation of the screen narrowing, might get used to it in time i suppose.

Be aware, a lot of them, probably most i carried, came with the dreadful automated manual gearbox, and i wouldn't wish one of those on my worse enemy.

They were very pricey new, but didn't sell, hardly surprising, even with later huge price cuts they couldn't give 'em away.

Okay thanks for this, scratched the 1007 off my list. It is a shame sliding door cars are not more mainstream - would help everyone in a multitude of situations. But there are probably good reasons why this is not so.

peugeot 106 - choosing a 'new' hatchback - unthrottled

Wasn't the 1007 incredibly heavy for its floorpan size? Didn't do much for performance, handling or economy. Also, if you're parked on an incline, they can be heavy to open ior close.

peugeot 106 - choosing a 'new' hatchback - Wignut

The current Mazda2 is in your price range. Good to drive, and suprisingly spacious (parents have got one and took it to Spain and back last year).

It also fits in their garage.