VW T5, Ford Transit, Renault Trafic, Mercedes Vito - Which van for a windsurfer? - mouton

Hi all,

I need some recommendations on vans, since I have no experience of them! My boyfriend and I need something that we can fit a bed in, plus a load of windsurfing kit. It has to be able to do the miles and get up those coastal hills. It also needs to be fairly efficient if it gets driven to work when the other car is in use (mostly motorway, but 40 mins each way). Therefore, a low-profile roof and a shorter wheel base is probably going to be best.

We'd like it to last a good few years, and not immediately succumb to rust in the sea air.

I saw from another thread that most people rave about the VW Transporter but say that the Mercedes isn't very good.

What about the other models out there? How does the builders' favourite, the Transit, compare? I see that it tends to be a bit cheaper second-hand, which is always good, but does anyone here have experience of it?

Any other suggestions/recommendations welcome :-)

VW T5, Ford Transit, Renault Trafic, Mercedes Vito - Which van for a windsurfer? - No FM2R II

Random thoughts;

You need height. I always used a Transit Hi-Top. Two reasons, you will want to stand to change, and you will want the bed on top of the kit. You don't want the kit getting the bed and you wet.

You'd be better to buy a cheaper van and a cheaper run about for commuting. Packing and unpacking kit is a pain, parking a van full of kit is dodgy.

Any van you buy will not last long as it will have salt water inside and out. So unless you are somponsored buy seriously secondhand.

Don't spend a fortune on kitting it out professionally, its not likely to last long enough for it to be worth the money. You need a place to keep clothes and blankets dry, space under the sleeping arangements for sails, somewhere for masts & booms, a box somehwre for bits, and somewhere for the boards. On a high-top you can store the boards up on top on a rack where they're out of casual harms reach.

You will inevitably drive it wearing a wet suit sometimes, so you want as little cloth and other absorbant materials in the front as possible. Also as much room as possible.

You will want to be able to get from the back to the driver's seat without leaving the van. Especially if sleeping in unknown carparks/ beaches/ whatever.

Do not buy one which has previously been used as a surf van, even if the kitting out is attractive. It will already be rusting.

Don't worry about mileage, unless its ridciulously high it doesnt really matter for the time/distance you'll have it.

As to specifically which van, don't get hung up too much on the exact van, look for the best bargain.

VW T5, Ford Transit, Renault Trafic, Mercedes Vito - Which van for a windsurfer? - mouton

Good tip on buying pre-converted surf vans - hadn't considered the hidden rust issue. We're actually quite looking forward to converting our own!

For the last three years all windsurfing trips have been conducted in various incarnations of a Focus, so we're quite keen to have something that doesn't require a roof rack or constant loading/unloading. I'm also keen to put an end to getting naked in the car park. Plus, the latest car was quite nice when we bought it, and now features quite a few splodges of dried seawater on the upholstry. Boo.

I'm thinking "wipe-clean" for the interior...

VW T5, Ford Transit, Renault Trafic, Mercedes Vito - Which van for a windsurfer? - No FM2R II

You're right, the joy is in avoiding the loading/unloading.

Boards on the roof, if that's all you've got, is ok. Throwing them inside when you're not going to use the bed is easy enough. And locking them on the roof is good enough when you're around.

Also, blowing it clean on the motorway does no harm.

Some other experiences;

Don't be tempted by a minibus. The windows sound like a good idea, they're not. Curtains are a pain, people being able to see in the van is a pain, the lower security is a pain.

Careful about the extent of conversion you attempt. It all takes time, money and space and you wouldn't believe how difficult it is to do.

You'll want something raised to sleep on. Make a box frame bed, make is strong, and make it so you can store tons of stuff underneath it.

Install a second battery and charging system (which is easy to do) That way if you flatten the battery with the lights and radio, it will still start,

Have two boxes; one dry for your clothes and stuff, one wet for boots, gloves, suits, etc etc. The dry one big enough to take your bedding.

Do put good locks. One so that your stuff is safe, but more so that you feel safe when sleeping in it. Hence the reason to be able to get to the dirvers seat without getting out of the vehicle should you feel uneasy.

Arrange the inside so that you can change without walking on stuff, so that stuff is easy to stow without too much rearranging. Also so that you can sleep in reasonable comfort without leaving tons of stuff outside.

Don't get excited about putting water, cooking, shower facilties. Its not worth it unless you're *that* kind of surfer.

Putting arrangements in to hang stuff such as sails form the ceiling is a bad idea. it drips.

I'd push you very strongly not to use the vehicle for commuting. By cheaper and get a run around. Pragmatic concerns such as parking are relevant of course.

Wipe clean is good. Hose clean is better.

I'll be sure to invest in copious quantities of lino and silicone sealant!

As for the run around/commuting problem - at the moment we have two cars, and it's tough to justify an extra van on top of that. One plan might be to scrap my car (now 12 yrs old) once it gives up and replace it with a van... then work out a way of sharing the other car for commuting to our respective jobs.

Our working pattern doesn't overlap too much, so I reckon a max of two days per week would call for the van to get to work.

Or we could get a cheapo van and leave it in the garage on non-surfing days. I'm concerned about the extra tax, maintenance costs and insurance though, which could outweigh the extra fuel costs of the van being used for sporadic commutes.

As for parking, no way could a van fit in the teeny-tiny spaces at my workplace, but it would be quite happy (and secure) at my partner's place of work.

Not sure about adding cooking or fridge facilities atm - I don't understand why campervan versions are more expensive than the ones I bought for my house!

I wouldnt install and campervan type facilities really. If you think you'll need something, then I'd go for camping (as in tent) stuff and then use it as and when.

By the way, dunno which beach you go to, but do check that tehre are no height restrictions that matter. And do be careful if you go into a multi storey with a board on top (Hi John!!).

Ouch.

>> I'm also keen to put an end to getting naked in the car park

And there goes another spectator sport for low-wind days. (sigh).

Hah. Don't fret. There'll probably be at least another season of al-fresco, van-free changing yet. And there's always new blood coming through in hatchbacks.

And there's always new blood coming through in hatchbacks.

Fair enough. May I vet who you sell yours to?

Only if you can prove you're not Nosferatu. I've had loads of trouble from him hanging around my vehicles in the past.

I've been called significantly worse.

Where do you sail?

We go all around East Anglia really (since we're stuck in the deepest, darkest recesses of Suffolk). Anywhere from Hunstanton to Point Clear and Wells (and in-between). Just got back from Cornwall, which was pretty awesome - we usually do an annual trip there. And a good friend has just moved to Swansea, so no doubt we will be building in some sailing time when we visit! You?

Did Hunstanton a few years ago when working in Cambridge, used to enjoy it. I was a member of the Sailing club there which was very useful, especially in the winter.

These days when I am in the UK its usually South Coast - Hayling to Hill Head, or Haverfordwest, South Wales. If not the UK then either the Bay Area in California or La Serena in Chile.

Haven't done the Americas yet. One day.

Anyway, many thanks for all the advice, it's really appreciated!

VW T5, Ford Transit, Renault Trafic, Mercedes Vito - Which van for a windsurfer? - gordonbennet

Transits really are very good, will stand all sorts of neglect and still come back for more, they always have done. I recently serviced a mate's LWB RWD high top, mainly cos of felt sorry for it, hadn't been done for several years and many thousands of miles, still runs well though, a testament to durable design, very easy to fully service too.

VW vans are in fashion again, they do look smart in higher spec, costly though.

MB's seem to be prone to regular trouble, and rust at a terrible rate.

One van you haven't mentioned, possibly not big enough, but is likely to be the most reliable you can buy is the Toyota Hiace, the same basic design for donkeys years, uses the 2.4/2.5 engine from Hilux IIRC, if it ain't broke etc.

>>Transits really are very good, will stand all sorts of neglect and still come back for more

Cool. We're a bit of a Ford couple already with our cars - just seemed odd that Transits don't get much of a mention on windsurfing fora, given how much cheaper they are. Hence asking some proper car people on here!

>>VW vans are in fashion again, they do look smart in higher spec, costly though.

Yeah. I recently saw one with a green metallic paint job that looked "totally sick". Actually, it was very pretty. A shame Transits seem only to come in white if bought second-hand, but I suppose that's a very girly concern!

>>Toyota Hiace

Some of the newer models look like they might be a bit bigger, but I'm not sure if that's just some deceptive photography. Will check out the measurements :)

Thanks!

VW T5, Ford Transit, Renault Trafic, Mercedes Vito - Which van for a windsurfer? - dieseldogg

Perhaps not a big consideration, but a cross section of local Transit drivers have decided they are VERY thirsty, allow about 20 to 25 mpg (if lucky)

I know 2 who have changed to smaller Pegeuot/Citroen/VW stuff, one also bought a 7.5 tonner lorry cos he said it hardly used any more diesel than his overloaded Transit.

Plus regarding the VW stuff, a cousin drives one of the Crafter range (sister veh to the MB Sprinter at his work ) he reckons on about 35mpg, and its one of the larger ones

So significently better that a standard Transit

Though for occ use /low milage no odds.

PS

Take a look at mod-sales (withams spec veh) they are disposing of loads of Army and other Govt stuff, incl 1998 vintage Transit Ambulances with low miles on ( & some are 4WD too!)

But Hey!

Do it right and buy the Steyr Daimler Puch based 6WD Ambulance though

(An its got a VW engine)

Edited by dieseldogg on 15/08/2012 at 13:44