Peugeot 308 - No service history (company car) - em12

Hi there,

Hoping to get some advice from you guys. Right off the bat you should know I don't know very much about cars.

Anyway, I was looking at a 2008 Peugeot 308 1.6 HDi 110 (40k miles) today at a car supermarket (Car Giant), and it seemed in v. good nick, but was put off when I learned it had no service history.

I asked the sales rep and he showed me that the last registered keeper was a company (it was 'something' vehicle management company ... i forgot the first part of the name), and that it was sometimes the case that if a company had to service a large number of cars, they would do it in bulk and therefore not get each individual service book stamped.

I'd like to know if this sounds plausible and/or whether it's particularly unusual with company owned cars.

If you were in my position would you walk away?

Thanks.

Peugeot 308 - No service history (company car) - Chris M

Walk. It may have been serviced @ 10k, 20k, 30k & 40k or it may never have had the bonnet lifted. If you are really smitten,get the name of the company and give them a call.

Peugeot 308 - No service history (company car) - gordonbennet

''xxxxx management company'', so probably a renter or long term lease, which may or may not have seen an oil change.

There must be thousands of 308's out there with proper service histories, why bother with this lottery job?

When a car salesman is telling you what you want to hear, think of a certain Blair and WMD.

Peugeot 308 - No service history (company car) - Avant

I agree - there are plenty of other 308s out there with a full service history, so don't take more of a rsk than you have to.

If you like Peugeots and are set on a 308, then fine; but if you're just looking for something of that size and price, thare are many others (most, actually) that are better. For example, VW Golf for solidity, Toyota Auris for reliablilty, Ford Focus for driver enjoyment, Skoda Octavia for space and value for money.

Peugeot 308 - No service history (company car) - RT

Given your self-confessed lack of knowledge on cars, walk away - there are cars out there with documented history which I doubt are any more expensive. Leave this one to someone who can examine the car properly and make their own assessment.

Peugeot 308 - No service history (company car) - madf

My advie is not to walk away.

Run instead.

A service history missing will render the car far less valuable when you come to sell. And as Peugeot are incapable of producing consistently reliable cars, I suggest you do not consider buying one with a service history.. let alone one without one.

Edited by madf on 11/08/2012 at 23:27

Peugeot 308 - No service history (company car) - oldroverboy

My advice is not to walk away.

Run instead.

How fast can you run?

No No No. Do not buy it unless it is priced at less than £9.99. The horrendous risks with dual mass flywheel, clutch, electrics and all the wear and tear bits you will need to fix.

Edited by OldRoverboy on 12/08/2012 at 08:32

Peugeot 308 - No service history (company car) - Mike H

On a more practical note......

If you particularly like the car, it's possible that you can get a printout of the service history from Peugeot by contacting a local dealer. That will enable you to confirm that the services have been done, and will also be likely to include other work. It will also show which garages carried out the services, and if you are so inclined, you could contact them for more information.

The rest of the back room is right to make the points they have made, but I'm just trying to present the other side of the coin that it's not necessarily doom and gloom. I bought an ex-company car and had to do the same digging for service details, and I subsequently ran it for 8 virtually trouble-free years over 110,000 miles.

Peugeot 308 - No service history (company car) - RT
The rest of the back room is right to make the points they have made, but I'm just trying to present the other side of the coin that it's not necessarily doom and gloom. I bought an ex-company car and had to do the same digging for service details, and I subsequently ran it for 8 virtually trouble-free years over 110,000 miles.

There are no doubt plenty of well maintained cars for which the documentation is missing - for those with experience and a good eye for tell-tale signs these cars can be a bargain - but not for those without that knowledge.

Peugeot 308 - No service history (company car) - em12

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll keep looking then.

@ Avant,

Yes, I've been considering other cars, in particular the Focus. It's just that the 308 had the best balance between price/mpg/mileage/trim of those I've seen so far. Golfs are quite a bit more expensive and from what i've seen don't return as good mpg. Haven't seen any Auris' in my price range yet, but will keep an eye out, thanks.

@ OldRoverBoy

Regarding the DMF, don't lots of newer diesels have this? Even the focus and golf?

Peugeot 308 - No service history (company car) - Bobbin Threadbare

I think the point is that 308s are quite common, so don't gamble on one with a suspect background, as you'll easily find another that has been looked after by somebody.

For the best balance of space, driving fun and cheapness (they're reliable and any parts are cheap), a Focus is hard to beat, but I'm basing my experience on a Mk I I owned.

Peugeot 308 - No service history (company car) - oldroverboy

@ OldRoverBoy

Regarding the DMF, don't lots of newer diesels have this? Even the focus and golf?

Even though they have all got them, a car wilth a full service history still has no 100% promise of no future probems, but if regenerations have not taken place correctly, then that DOES have an effect on oil quality which impacts the lubrication problems, so think turbo failure, cam and crank failure, egr sooting up, Even I chickened out and sold my fully maintained diesel at 3 years old to avoid the pitfalls above, and yes, I bought a midrange 1.6 petrol, as our usage has changed. one of my wifes colleagues is having immense problems with her3 yr 8 month old astra diesel. All of a sudden swmbo agreed with the changeover, because of the potential costs involved.

But, Each to his own..

Peugeot 308 - No service history (company car) - Collos25

What difference would it make most lease cars are never looked at just the stamp put in the book it maybe by the main agent but more than likely QF or the likes.

Peugeot 308 - No service history (company car) - ijws15
There is a reason Peugeots are cheap and Golf's are expensive, partly because of the sentiments expressed in other posts .

Economy is affected more by the weight of the Drivers foot than anything else - the VW 1.9 Diesel is one of the most economical engines around.
Peugeot 308 - No service history (company car) - No FM2R II

>> if this sounds plausible

It does, but that's not the same as true.

If it was done by Peugeot, then Peugeot will have a computerised record. Go to a Dealer and grovel. If that doesn't work, then as someone else suggested, call the company.

If you cannot get proof or at least strong indication that its been done, then for safety's sake you need to assume that it has not.

The only reason to consider a car with a challenge is that either there is something particularly spectacular, or the price is great. If its a standard example at a standard price, then as others have said; why bother?

• It may have a mechanical issue
  • The first service you have done will cost a fortune since you'll have to assume everything needs doing
  • And that includes any belts.
  • If it hasn't been serviced, then what else has/ has not been looked after?
  • You'll have to answer the same quetions when/if you come to sell it

Unless its a great deal walking away is not as good as running.