Car dilemma/Not - Residesinsurrey

I saw a 1997 1.6 Primera yesterday . The seller is desperate to sell the car as he is leaving the country . The exhaust is low , the clutch cable needs changing possible a new clutch , drove fine , but my biggest concern is the rust underneath the back passenger door ( not on the door itself about 5inches in length) . He has now offered it to me for £250 , the tax and MOT is till November , am I mad to say no ??? would love opinions .

Car dilemma/Not - unthrottled

Why does the clutch cable need changing? Usually, cables simply snap with little warning. If you think it needs a new clutch, walk away. bangers are ten a penny.

the clutch is very stiff when pushed , made enquiries and told that it would fix the problem. The owner said he has been driving it like that since he had the car.

Edited by Residesinsurrey on 10/08/2012 at 12:29

Car dilemma/Not - tony g
If the engine and gearbox seem ok ,the car could be a good buy ,I would run the car until the mot is due ,take it to a local garage not a main dealer for the mot .

If the quote for repairs and the mot exceed £400 ,sell the car on e bay for spares ,it will sell for approx £150 .at worst you will have had cheap motoring for 3 months ,alternatively your next 12 months motoring will have cost you £400 ,plus rf tax , servicing etc .cheap motoring .

Good luck

Tony g

That's what I was thinking Tony thanks for your feedback

Car dilemma/Not - unthrottled

Cable operated clutches are often very stiff-right from day one. As long as the clutch bites hard i wouldn't worry.

Car dilemma/Not - SteveLee

It's a banger and the seller will be desperate to get rid due to their travel circumstances. Unless the seller is a friend - take advantage of the situation and cover the potential cost (parts) of a clutch - offer £150. they'll probably settle at £200.

Remember to check the boot for bodies! :-)

Car dilemma/Not - McP

The clutch on my Primera of the same year was stiff.

I have had a couple of Primeras. A 97 1.6 and a 2000 2.0. Both very reliable. Both sold on at around 140K running well.

The owners club is very friendly and helpful even to non paying members and is full of tips/fixes. It is very rare that major problems get reported on this model particularly with this engine. I am still a member despite not having a Primera for 2 years.

Car dilemma/Not - The Gingerous One

Haggle a bit, then use the car. Once MoT is up or clutch goes, ponder what to do but you could weigh it in for £150-ish maybe and then buy something else. So don't get carried away spending ca$h or costing all these things up.

Just be careful that that the tyres are all ok, you don't want to spend say £100 on tyres then have the clutch go/MoT failure.

If you're fairly handy with the spanner then you can sort the clutch out if you need one.

It'll be cold in November though....hope you have a garage.