Vauxhall Adam - Vauxhall Adam - worst new car name? - Oli rag

I know it's named after the designer, but come on!

The car itself looks good, but I can't help feeling it would do better with another name.

Any suggestions - how about Ds 500?

Vauxhall Adam - Vauxhall Adam - worst new car name? - RT

When Opel and Vauxhall unified their model names as Corsa, Astra, Vectra and Omega they had a stated policy that all model names must end in an "a" so the Adam is the first mainstream departure from that - although the Holden and Lotus based cars didn't comply and neither did the Renault or Fiat based vans.

Compared to some of the names dreamt up by American and Asian manufacturers and the mindless numbers used on European cars, then Adam isn't actually that bad.

Vauxhall Adam - Vauxhall Adam - worst new car name? - Chris M

Signum?

Signum?

That's why it didn't sell - it wasn't named properly !!

Vauxhall Adam - Vauxhall Adam - worst new car name? - focussed

When Opel and Vauxhall unified their model names as Corsa, Astra, Vectra and Omega they had a stated policy that all model names must end in an "a" so the Adam is the first mainstream departure from that - although the Holden and Lotus based cars didn't comply and neither did the Renault or Fiat based vans.

Compared to some of the names dreamt up by American and Asian manufacturers and the mindless numbers used on European cars, then Adam isn't actually that bad.

If the GM namng policy is that the name ends with an "a" how about reversing the "adam" name.

The Vauxhall Mada-sounds good to me!

It's probably a rude word in some obscure lingo though!

Vauxhall Adam - Vauxhall Adam - worst new car name? - madf

If the GM namng policy is that the name ends with an "a" how about reversing the "adam" name.

Do NOT make fun of my name :-)

I would rather die than have it on GM carp.

Vauxhall Adam - Vauxhall Adam - worst new car name? - focussed

If the GM naming policy is that the name ends with an "a" how about reversing the "adam" name.

Vauxhall Adam - Vauxhall Adam - worst new car name? - RichT54

It's not named after the designer, it's named after the founder of Opel.

I do agree, it's a poor name for a car.

Vauxhall Adam - Vauxhall Adam - worst new car name? - able1

Vauxhall Adam? would you beli-Eve it?
Vauxhall Adam - Vauxhall Adam - worst new car name? - unthrottled

Seat Alhambra.

Kia Sportage.

VW Rabbit. Why VW saw fit to rename the Golf as Rabbit in the North American market is beyond me.

Any of the clumsy CDTI, CRDT, CRDI etc. engine codes. Since all diesel engines (apart from PD) are direction injection, common rail and turbocharged-why not simply use the letter 'D' to denote diesel?

Edited by unthrottled on 22/07/2012 at 13:14

Vauxhall Adam - Vauxhall Adam - worst new car name? - Chris M

Because, as M&S would say, this isn't just a D sir, it's a CRDT.

Vauxhall Adam - Vauxhall Adam - worst new car name? - Bobbin Threadbare

What about the new Škoda Rapid? Sounds like a brand of Czech washing powder.

There were Skoda Rapids before and after WW2, the original ran from 1935 to 1947 and there was a coupe variant of the Skoda 130 called the Rapid from 1984 to 1990.

Similar naming convention to the Bentley Speed Six but opposite ends of the spectrum.

I always smile when when I see the brilliantly named- Mazda bongo friendee.

Vauxhall Adam - Vauxhall Adam - worst new car name? - SlidingPillar

As a silly name, I think the Nissan Cedric takes the biscuit.

In Japanese apparantly, Cedric sounds good and that was why they chose the name.

Well one could always go for the Mitsubishi Canter Guts or the Izusu Light Dump. There is also a Mitsi Pistachio......

Vauxhall Adam - Vauxhall Adam - worst new car name? - TeeCee

and there was a coupe variant of the Skoda 130 called the Rapid from 1984 to 1990.

I used to have one, oodles of fun. Anyone who's ever driven an early Porsche 911 will be entirely familiar with the handling, it just all happens so much more slowly.

When young and skint it was the ideal car. All the bits were ludicrously cheap and it was a doddle to work on with the engine sat, in-line, in the tail with the majority of the cooling system being out of the way at the other end. Mechanically reliable, as long as genuine PAL electrical components were always used. The ignition system ran at a horrendous overvoltage[1] and would kill third-party components in short order, causing a sudden cessation of movement. I reckon their reputation had a lot to do with a combination of this and that most servicing places didn't know it.

The only serious issue was the quality of the metal used for other components. Much of these appeared to be made of cream cheese. All sorts of things broke, most serious being the gear lever.

Weirdest thing was its engine having an alloy block with an iron head on it. Go figure.....

[1] Presumably some sort of attempt to get poorly-maintained ones to start and run in the depths of a Czech winter.

and there was a coupe variant of the Skoda 130 called the Rapid from 1984 to 1990.

I used to have one, oodles of fun. Anyone who's ever driven an early Porsche 911 will be entirely familiar with the handling, it just all happens so much more slowly.

When young and skint it was the ideal car. All the bits were ludicrously cheap and it was a doddle to work on with the engine sat, in-line, in the tail with the majority of the cooling system being out of the way at the other end. Mechanically reliable, as long as genuine PAL electrical components were always used. The ignition system ran at a horrendous overvoltage[1] and would kill third-party components in short order, causing a sudden cessation of movement. I reckon their reputation had a lot to do with a combination of this and that most servicing places didn't know it.

The only serious issue was the quality of the metal used for other components. Much of these appeared to be made of cream cheese. All sorts of things broke, most serious being the gear lever.

Weirdest thing was its engine having an alloy block with an iron head on it. Go figure.....

[1] Presumably some sort of attempt to get poorly-maintained ones to start and run in the depths of a Czech winter.

The Hillman Imp and it's variants had similar handling !!

In those days lots of cars had 6v ignition coils and 12v generators - the idea was to aid starting in wet British summers as well as cold Czech winters - when the starter key was released a different circuit was used for the coil with a ballast resistor to reduce the 12v down to a manageable level for longevity.

Vauxhall Adam - Vauxhall Adam - worst new car name? - Avant

Toyota Auris. Why calll a car 'Ear' - especially when the Corolla name, still used in other parts of the world for the same car - has a good reputation?

Vauxhall Adam - Vauxhall Adam - worst new car name? - Ethan Edwards
Well i think RT is right. Needs to end in an A. How about the Adama? Good enough for Lorne Greene in Battlestar Galactica...

They could have gone for the Scouse version: the Vauxhall A-a-a-a-a.....then there's no worries about the 'a' ending.

Apt, considering the location of some Vauxhall plants :-D

Vauxhall Adam - Vauxhall Adam - worst new car name? - unthrottled

Who says that The Port is full of wannabe scousers?!

Presumably the A-a-a-a-a's top level of trim is CD -Caaaalm Down.

Vauxhall Adam - Vauxhall Adam - worst new car name? - Engineer Andy

A few websites with some very daft and (especially through translation) very rude word cars:-

www.oddee.com/item_93544.aspx

www.sabotagetimes.com/hardware/top-10-silly-car-na.../

My personal favourites (dicounting those that are rude words/genetalia in foreign languages) are:-

Mitsubishi Carisma - a car that had absolutely none!!

VW Sharan (or should that be Sharon...awaiting th Ford Tracy or Wayne (Essex!)

Rover Streetwise - I bet the owners of these felt really "hip" and "cool" after buying one... NOT! No respek for this pile of s***e from ya crew!

Ford Probe - lots of jokes there about where to stick it!

Edited by Engineer Andy on 23/07/2012 at 19:34

Vauxhall Adam - Vauxhall Adam - worst new car name? - barney100
I prefered the time when Vauxhalls began with V. Viva and Victor were super names, Ventura, Vectra and I can't remember anymore.
Vauxhall Adam - Vauxhall Adam - worst new car name? - mss1tw

They watched V for Vendatta one to many times.

Ventora, Viscount and VX4/90 were all used - perversely Vectra was the Opel name for our Cavalier mk3 and adopted by Vauxhall later.

Vauxhall Adam - Vauxhall Adam - worst new car name? - Sofa Spud

QUOTE:...""It's not named after the designer, it's named after the founder of Opel""

I was wondering if that was the case. If so it opens up a whole new range of model names:

e.g. The Mercedes-Benz Karl, the Ford Henry, the Bentley Walter, the Lotus Colin, the Jaguar William, the Citroen Andre....... etc. etc.

Of course there's actually been a Ferrari Enzo and and the former Kaiser car company in USA made a car called the Kaiser Henry J, named after the founder of the company - Henry J. Kaiser !

Edited by Sofa Spud on 23/07/2012 at 21:47

"I bought a Lotus."

"Oohh which model?"

"Colin".

Hahahaha!

Will the Skoda superb be joined by 2 other models - the Skoda average and the Skoda not quite good enough? Maybe they'll continue the self praise and launch the Skoda brilliant or the Skoda best in class.

Vauxhall Adam - Vauxhall Adam - worst new car name? - glowplug

Renault Zoe. I always think of Fools and Horses when I hear the name Zoe, Del Boy dabbing his lip and saying Zoe as if he's get a mouth full of cotton wool.

I'll get me coat.

Steve.