Any - Official fuel consumption confusion - unthrottled

In the preview of the 4th gen Honda CRV, HJ declares:

It has to be emphasised that Honda is probably the most ‘honest’ manufacturer over ‘official’ emissions and CO2 outputs so these figures are probably achievable by real drivers."

So what do the others do-make them up? The problem lies with the test, not the manufacturers. Honda are no more nor less honest than any other manufacturer in this respect. Honda's figures may be more realistic because the bulk of Honda sales are in the US, rather than the EU, so their cars will be geared to perform well in the US FTP75 economy test, rather than the EU NEDC test. Integrity has nothing to do with it.

Any - Official fuel consumption confusion - skidpan

The test is most certainly flawed but if it told the truth we would all be paying £100's more in road tax every year and company car users £1000's more in company car tax.

All it needs is for buyers to be realistic about mpg and remember the savings you are making in tax. Our 2 litre diesel BMW has 143bhp and a combined of 62.8mpg, never in a million years. It does 48 mpg on average which I am delighted with, the 130 bhp Mondeo we had did about 40 mpg in the same circumstances.

88mpg in a Kia Rio, never while there is a "y" in the day of the week.

Any - Official fuel consumption confusion - voy2age

The test is most certainly flawed but if it told the truth we would all be paying £100's more in road tax every year and company car users £1000's more in company car tax.

All it needs is for buyers to be realistic about mpg and remember the savings you are making in tax. Our 2 litre diesel BMW has 143bhp and a combined of 62.8mpg, never in a million years. It does 48 mpg on average which I am delighted with, the 130 bhp Mondeo we had did about 40 mpg in the same circumstances.

88mpg in a Kia Rio, never while there is a "y" in the day of the week.

those mpg are the same for my merc C220 coupe (143 bhp), the best i had was 66mpg over a 200 mile run (had to try really hard to get that!!) the overall for 25,000 miles is 48 mpg.. much better car than a bmw btw :-)

Any - Official fuel consumption confusion - Bobbin Threadbare

Maybe it depends on what the maker thinks the driver wants to see - for example, I am achieving the quoted figure for mpg on my MX-5 and and am very happy with that, but my B-I-L can't get anywhere near the quoted figures for his Start-Stop Yaris......I guess if you're buying something sporty then they're honest as you won't be purchasing based on mpg.

Any - Official fuel consumption confusion - sandy56

THe test is a standard test for all cars. It is used to compare like with like. It is not meant to demonstrate how it will perform on normal roads for normal use. Crazy idea but as I said all cars have to do it and it is done the same way for each/every car which would be impossible on the road.

Any - Official fuel consumption confusion - RT

I liked the old UK only official figures, before EU standards were concocted - the Urban figure was fairly typical of normal city driving and the steady 75mph figure was spot on for motorway cruising - the steady 56mph figure seemed less relevant but given fuel prices in those days no-one was trying that hard to economise.

One of the stupid things about EU tests is that the ambient temperature used in the test is 25 +/- 5 degrees which is way removed from the UK average of 10 C so all our cold starts will require even more fuel than the test conditions.

Edited by RT on 20/07/2012 at 21:08

Completely agree with you RT.

The 25C 'cold' start is probably the most glaring flaw. If they insist on testing cars at this temperature then air con should be used if fitted because most drivers would use it at these temps.

The great thing about the 75mph steady speed consumption is that it is very hard to fiddle. They replaced a simple useful test with a complicated useless one-somewhat symptomatic of the EU as an institution!

NB-I don't benefit from the fudged figures because my tax bill lis based on the engine being over 1549cc-so it is £220 p.a. Bah!

No-one benefits from the fudged figures - if they were revamped accurately HMRC would simply adjust the charge for each emission band.

Any - Official fuel consumption confusion - jamie745

but my B-I-L can't get anywhere near the quoted figures for his Start-Stop Yaris......

Not surprising, isn't 40% of the urban test stationary? Stop start would score very well there but unless you live in London the chances are you're moving and your engine is running so you won't meet those figures.

Even my car is economical when it's not going anywhere.

Any - Official fuel consumption confusion - barney100
Manufacturers fuel economy figures should be taken with a large dose of salt.
Manufacturers fuel economy figures should be taken with a large dose of salt.

They're not manufacturers figures though, at least not like the over-optimistic advertising claims that used to be made.

These are figures based on a standardised test that has to be complied with by the manufacturer. If the EU bureaucrats carried out the testing themselves to avoid claims of exaggeration, the results would be the same.

The problem is that the test standard just isn't reflective of real life driving - it's the test standard that needs changing.

Edited by RT on 20/07/2012 at 22:31

Any - Official fuel consumption confusion - Avant

Absolutely. That's why HJ started the Real Life Fuel Economy register, which you can find under Reviews on this site. You can contribute to it as well,

Any - Official fuel consumption confusion - Collos25

But some of those figures are pure fantasy depends where you live how you drive and what sort of driving you do.All thatmatters is what it costs you personnally not other peoples costs.

But a single average, however accurate, isn't helpful to an individual person with a unique usage pattern - because cars don't have the same relationship between urban commuting and long-distance cruising as each other.

If an individual owner does predominantly long-distance cruising then the comparison between cars needs to be on that basis as differences in urban consumption have little significance - and vice versa.

Go back to the late '70s and use the Urban and 75mph tests from those days.

At the risk of thread drift, I saw Hj's response to a corrospondant in the DT motoring section where he advised readers to avoid diesels fitted with "EGR valves, DPF, DMF". So that would be all modern diesels then. Sure, all these components can fail-and in the case of the latter two, they are expensive to put right. But is he aware that all modern petrol engines have EGR valves-and quite a few have DMF fitted as well? Presumably we can add all cars with belt cam engines to the black list too. I don't understamnd this arbiitrary catagorisation of 'good' and 'bad' engineds. As with most technologies where the driver does not see the benefit, there is a tendency to regard them with suspicion. But all these components do a good job.

It would be naive to think that the direct injected turbo petrols will prove to be as robust as the old naturally aspirated port injected ones, in the same way that modern diesels are not as robust as the old ones.

Any - Official fuel consumption confusion - Collos25

Your right these parts have been used in petrol engines for years its just that HJ has not noticed.

Any - Official fuel consumption confusion - jc2

DMF were fitted to petrols before diesels-as was EGR.

Edited by jc2 on 21/07/2012 at 16:42

And DPFs are more likely to be a problem when diesel was the wrong choice in terms of usage pattern and annual mileage.

All modern engines, petrol or diesel, have some horrendously expensive componentry which might go wrong but don't often.

For petrol engines to compete with diesels on consumption, more are using highly stressed direct injection turbo which will mean even more potential expense.

I've often wondered if adding eloys directly to the diesel tank would help solve the problem with DPF regens in low speed driving. I thought the idea of a liquid catalyst was quite neat-spraying fuel into the exhaust seems rather silly. It's a shame that PSA ruined the reputation of eloys by making the refill procedure unduly complex and expensive. They probably thought that it would be a nice little earner for dealereships-but it killed the texchnology stone dead.