Ford Fiesta 1.3 Petrol (x-reg) - Leaking Coolant behind engine - davieschrisj

I had a previous overheating problem (www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=96579) that is now solved. It was just a dodgy thermostat, that always seemed to be OK when I checked it (Sods Law), but swapped it for a new one and all was hunky dory, until today!

Paked the car up to go into the shop after a 10minute drive, came out 45mins later to find a rather significant coolant leak (Approx 2 litres) Couldn't see where it was coming from then, so topped it up (I had spare coolant in the car after my previous problems) and drove home with no problems.

Popped the bonnet and ran the engine to see if I could see anything going on and to my surprise, when I revved the engine, there was a squirt of coolant out of the back of the engine. Had a look in the Haynes manual and can't see anything that says what it is. It's a plastic housing with 2 bolts holding it on, where a coolant pipe goes to/comes from the heater matrix and the squirt is coming out from where it connects to the back of the engine, possibly looks like some sort of seal has gone. It also squirts out when I take the coolant reservoir cap off, even when the engine isn't running. Does anyone know what this could be?

I also have issues with my heating, where the blowers only seem to pump out hot air, even when set to cold. Could this be a related issue or is it completely seperate?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Ford Fiesta 1.3 Petrol (x-reg) - Leaking Coolant behind engine - madf

have issues with my heating, where the blowers only seem to pump out hot air, even when set to cold. Could this be a related issue or is it completely seperate?

heater control valve, Well known fault. Approx £25 to replace.

Ford Fiesta 1.3 Petrol (x-reg) - Leaking Coolant behind engine - davieschrisj

Just had it in the garage and they said it was the manifold gasket leaking, been quoted £29 for the part and "a few" hours work.

Is there any chance anyone could talk me through doing it myself or pointing me in the direction of a tutorial video for it?

Thanks,

Chris

Ford Fiesta 1.3 Petrol (x-reg) - Leaking Coolant behind engine - Np86

Hey Chris, just wondering if you ever got this fxed? I think I have the same problem and wouldn't mind having a crack it it my self but im a novice when it comes to motoring DIY. Not sure if it worth my while or better off paying a mechanic.

The leak is on the drivers side at the back of the engine block, just behind the dipstick. Think theres a gasket between the engine block and intake manifold if thats right? Seems to be a steady dripping coming from there. It was a slow leak for about a week until yesterday when it got worse. I tried Rad Seal I got form halfords but no luck. After topping up the coolant and leaving it over night the resevoir was nearly empty this morning with a large pool under the car.

Did you find any videos or guides to how to do it or end up paying?

Cheers,

Niall

Ford Fiesta 1.3 Petrol (x-reg) - Leaking Coolant behind engine - mfarrow

The part should be dirt cheap, then all you need to do is replace the gasket.

Not difficult, but a time consuming task as it involves removing everything that's in the way, or basically the injection system!