Mobile Safety Camera Van - Measured distance - autumnboy

Any idea's of what distance a Mobile safety camera van on the road side starts to measure your speed and over what distance to get a reading on an open roadway from a lay-by.

I saw one approx. half to three quarter of a mile away, at the time I saw van I was doing 53mph (digital) on a 50mph limit dual carriageway. When using SatNav my speed is always approx. 2mph faster than SatNav showing.

I know some say, "they see you before you see them".

Thanks

Mobile Safety Camera Van - Measured distance - Collos25

They use a completely different system to GPS and technically to measure the speed of an object then if they want to measure the speed over 100meters then they will or it could be10 meters the equipment is accurate to + or - 01% for legal purposes in reality it is probably 100 times more accurate.

Mobile Safety Camera Van - Measured distance - meltonlad

they can now get you from 1.2 miles away !!! the lasar rebounds from your number plate 2000 times a second !!! doing 53 in a 50 zone you should be ok !!

Mobile Safety Camera Van - Measured distance - autumnboy

Ok, thanks

Is the Laser focused manually by the operator to the plate or the device does it automatically.

Mobile Safety Camera Van - Measured distance - meltonlad

it has to aimed at you by the user !! all mobile units they have to aim it at you and also they cant just leave it aimed at one point..... like if doing a motorway they have to aim it at vehicles using all lanes !!! not just the fast lane.....

Mobile Safety Camera Van - Measured distance - RT

Is the Laser focused manually by the operator to the plate or the device does it automatically.

Not by the operator - laser/radar doesn't need focussing, just accurately time the reflection - the only focussing is for the ANPR aspect which is like any modern auto-focus camera.

Mobile Safety Camera Van - Measured distance - TeeCee

they can now get you from 1.2 miles away !!! the lasar rebounds from your number plate 2000 times a second !!! doing 53 in a 50 zone you should be ok !!

Also:

When using SatNav my speed is always approx. 2mph faster than SatNav showing.

That'll be 51 in a 50 then, I doubt they'll even have bothered putting the coffee down for that.

Mobile Safety Camera Van - Measured distance - 1litregolfeater

Well meaning but misguided, we the electorate have allowed these idiots to ruin our economy, our culture, our entire way of life.

They ruined our pubs.

They are ruining our motoring the same way.

And I don't even like Jeremy Clark or whtever hes called.

Mobile Safety Camera Van - Measured distance - Collos25

In your opinion I think pubs in the UK are much better now the ones that have closed most needed closing.

Mobile Safety Camera Van - Measured distance - 1litregolfeater

So what country are you from.