Mitsubishi Lancer (2009) 1.8MIVEC - Mechanical details (Cam, clutch etc - primeradriver
Hi,

Just a few quick questions regarding the late model Mitsubishi Lancers. I am thinking specifically about the 1.8MIVEC engine.

1) Can anyone confirm that these are built in Japan, rather than Europe?

2) I believe that this engine is chain-cam. Can anyone confirm? (Mitsu recommend interim oil changes at 6k -- this is a pretty good indicator of a chain).

3) Do these cars have dual-mass flywheels?

If the answers to these questions are all as I'm hoping, I may well acquire one of these. Yes I know they aren't the most interesting cars in the world but they're as good, if not better to drive than the newer Focuses are, and if the technology is basic I'm hoping that the Japanese build should ensure 5-6 good years out of a 3-year-old without the car costing a fortune.
Mitsubishi Lancer (2009) 1.8MIVEC - Mechanical details (Cam, clutch etc - ChannelZ

The 1.8 engine is the GEMA engine, same as many other cars on the road. It's not a Japanese built engine. The cars are "built" in Poland or somewhere similar. I use "built" in the loosest way.

They're in no way like a Focus. Don't let the Japanese badge fool you. I think I'd rate the Lancer somewhere near a Hyundai Elantra or Proton.

As an ex-Lancer owner, I wouldn't wish one on my worst enemy. Horrible seats, squeaky misrable dash, nearly useless built in radio, doors with thin rattly plastic door cards that allow the door handles to flex over 1", suspension out of a 1970s Land-Rover, brakes out of a Mini Metro (264mm discs on a 1600kg saloon, who are they kidding?). I had a 2009 GS3 diesel, only kept it 8 months, worst financial mistake of my life. Rubbish car.

Mitsubishi Lancer (2009) 1.8MIVEC - Mechanical details (Cam, clutch etc - primeradriver
Don't pull your punches, whatever you do :)

Well, I have to say that is disappointing. I like the look of the car and I've had Mitsus in the past that were anything but what you describe. Plasticky yes, rubbish certainly not.

Still, I did only take a brief look at the car and I have to say that the apparent build quality did seem to be rather down on the cars I've had in the past.

That said, I seriously do not rate the Focus. I had one for two years -- it was almost a relief when the engine hydraulicked in the floods. Reliable, but just naff plastic crap, numb to drive and devoid of anything to be enthused about it.

If the Lancer is even worse than that, then I ain't paying thousands for one.

I just want something that isn't that expensive, is reliable and doesn't send me into a coma. Please tell me that doesn't just mean another Focus, I might as well give up now.

The cheap £1500 motor is looking more and more attractive at this point :(
Mitsubishi Lancer (2009) 1.8MIVEC - Mechanical details (Cam, clutch etc - bazza

What about a 2002- on Corolla? We now have two in the family, both 1.4. Nice enough to drive and a really pleasant interior, with an overall feel of being very well screwed together, no rattles or knocks and a decent compliant drive over rough roads. Easy to work on too and plenty of parts on e bay. Averaging 43 to 44 mpg. Much better to drive than you'd think.

We also have a 2 year old Focus 1.6, which although a little sharper to drive and quicker off the mark, is noisier, harsher and lacks the solid feel of the Corolla, despite being 5 years younger.

There are loads of nicely looked after Corollas around, the 1.6 is a little more powerful, but the 1.4 goes so well, it's hardly worth the extra.

Mitsubishi Lancer (2009) 1.8MIVEC - Mechanical details (Cam, clutch etc - Carole4X4
I have to agree with primeradriver about the focus, I've owned 2 mk 1 diesels and they were almost as bad as the Megane 3 and Citroen I've recently got rid of. I had an 04 plate Mitsubishi Carisna back in 2006/7 and it was easily one of the best cars I've ever owned. The seats were so comfortable I could do a 175 mile trip from Durham to Edinburgh without stopping for a break ( I suffer from spinal problems and leg problems meaning I usually have to stop every 50-60 miles or so). Economy and performance from the 1.9 Renault sourced diesel engine was more than satisfactory. It was never going to win a red light grand prix or a beauty contest but it was perfect for what I needed at the time. I sometimes get nostalgic and wish I'd never got rid of it and still had it today.

If the lancer is anything like the Carisma in build quality and comfort then I could see myself considering one when my current mobility Qashqai goes back.

I can hardly believe Mitsubishi have let build quality and reliability drop as much as has been described, maybe the poster was like myself with the Megane 3, simply got a 'Friday afternoon' car.
Mitsubishi Lancer (2009) 1.8MIVEC - Mechanical details (Cam, clutch etc - ChannelZ

When I got the Lancer, I'd just changed from a Vectra, and 4 Astras before that. Went from the Lancer (2008 GS3) to a 2005 Mondeo LX, and the Mondeo was in every way better than the Lancer. More comfortable, better built, went better, stopped WAY better (300mm discs up front, and rear discs bigger than the Lancer's front ones).

I must say, I just have to laugh when I see someone driving a Lancer, and wonder if they realise what an overpriced heap they're driving.

Well I've all but decided to buy a cheap runabout for the time being. The price of used cars at the moment is shocking -- I'm sorry but a 4 year old Mondeo with starship mileage simply isn't worth seven grand. I had hoped that something like this would allow me to at least buy something that wasn't semi-worn out for the money but it seems not.

Nope, £4000 is now the limit, as it had been in the first place, and if I find something in decent nick for a grand I won't turn my nose up.

Mitsubishi Lancer (2009) 1.8MIVEC - Mechanical details (Cam, clutch etc - Bobbin Threadbare

Mazda 6, if you're after a petrol ;-)