Saab 9-3 Diesel vibration - flyersaab
I have a Saab 2.2TiD(115 BHP) with 45K on the clock. The car runs well and returns 45 - 50 MPG. However at tickover there is significant vibration which is felt through the drivers seat. When I am stuck in traffic the vibration makes me feel sick. This car was purchased at 39K from a SAAB dealer and the vibration was not really evident for my first 3K. I have been back to the SAAB dealer who is very helpful and has reset the engine on its mounts as recommended by SAAB UK, the tickover was also increased to 1,000 rpm. This helped slighty but there is still in my opinion excess vibration inside the car.The SAAB dealer said all the 9-3 diesel are like this !!!. Any idea's what the problem could be as if all SAABs 9-3 Diesels were like this they would never sell any. I would be happy to pay for any modification that would eliminate this vibration. Other than the vibration this is an excellent car to drive. I also drive a pool car at work that is a Passat 130 Diesel and there is no vibration felt inside this car.
Saab 9-3 Diesel vibration - Mike H
I had the same car, 1999 model, for about two and a half years as a company car. Like you, I was quite happy with the car (not quite sure it was an "excellent car to drive", but it did have its good points). But I don't remember having any real vibration problems, particularly of the sort you mention, and am sure I would have remembered it if I had since I drove the car every day. Immediate thoughts are that there is something wrong with the fueld supply at idling, possible a faulty injector causing poor running on one cylinder? There is a little known problem (even by the dealers) whereby the injector seals fail allowing engine oil into the engine. This normally manifests itself as difficult starting when cold. Aprt from that though, can't help, but perhaps one of the diesel experts out there can help.

HTH.