Ford Mondeo - Is there such thing as a service history CRO? - jbason

Hi all, this is my firsth post on here and I apologise if it's been asked before, but I had a quick seearch and could find any relevant topics.

I have just recently been looking at a 2010 Mondeo 1.8 TDCI that is ex-rental (Enterprise Rent a Car). It already has 53,000 miles on the clock, but after a quick test drive it seems to run exactly as I would expect (as a current mondeo owner). Here's the thing though, it is advertised as CRO only ('computer read-out' apparently), so all they could show me was a list of dates and mileage of supposed service intervals, without actually telling me anything else such as the kind of service or who carried out the service.

My question is, is this normal? I have never heard of this before, but the sales guy assured me it's quite common with ex-rental cars, and won't affect any future re-sale (but then he would, wouldn't he!).

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Jbason.

Ford Mondeo - Is there such thing as a service history CRO? - gordonbennet

Not sure how Enterprise do it, but some of the rental companies get mobile outfits out to service their cars at whichever site they happened to be at when a service was due, mileage could creep over a bit but not usually by too much, i used to know one of the mobile fellows well, proper mechanic too...in practice many of the later cars were returned before needing a service, time or mileage as service intervals grew to silly lengths.

Presumably they mean computer read out only as being the information is on their, the rental companies, computers, not the cars own.

There should be nothing to stop them doing a print out of the cars service records, brief as it is...you would get such a thing if you bought an ex police car from good source, remarkable reading and very detailed if serviced at a police garage.

Mileages must have crept up since i used to transport renters, usually retired from rent at anything from 9 to 15k service and around 6 months old, i heard they had increased the time in service but didn't realise it was by so much...could this be an ex long term or lease hire as against a spot rental i wonder, not as it makes a scrap of difference, so long as the car has been serviced well.

Edited by gordonbennet on 16/07/2012 at 11:11

Ford Mondeo - Is there such thing as a service history CRO? - jbason

Hi, thanks for the informative answer!

Based on what you have said I will ask them to provide a print out of the service record. Provided this looks good I will probably go ahead and buy it.

I don't have the same fears that a lot of people do about buying es-rental as I've done it before and it was one of the best cars I've ever had. What I do care about though is making sure it's been well serviced.

Thanks again.

Ford Mondeo - Is there such thing as a service history CRO? - Chris M

Two years old and 50k plus miles. Are you sure it's ex rental? Do Enterprise do leasing as well?

Ford Mondeo - Is there such thing as a service history CRO? - ChannelZ

Two years old and 50k plus miles. Are you sure it's ex rental? Do Enterprise do leasing as well?

Seems very high. I've had plenty of ex-rentals, and the highest miles on one was 17k. 16k/8 months seems to be the limit.