Mito v 500 v MINI One - confusedbuyer
Hi!

I'm new to the forum and trying to debate what would be best for an investment. Obviously from the above you can tell I am looking at small cars. I'm of after anything big, or even that will be used that often but with ok pace and won't lose me massive amounts in parts etc over the next 3-5 years...

I've found a MINI ONE with the 1.6 engine (2010) with a.c. And the tlc pack for £8700 with 22,000 miles, I suspect this is the most sensible investment.

However, I've also driven a FIAT 500 mtwinair, and in the lounge trim I quite like this. I've found a few good deals at motorpoint for £9300 with a couple thosand miles. I do like the look of individual spec new ones but at £3000 more this seems excessive unless good deals are available?

As a bit of a curve ball the car I've admired from afar is the Alfa Mito. I've seen one with 15,000 miles for £8.5k from a local Alfa dealer in lusso trim. How reliable is the Mito, and will it hold it's value as well as the other two (I'm genuinely surprised by how well the 500 seems to be holding value on 08/09 cars...)

Any advice on the above would be greatly appreciated!
Mito v 500 v MINI One - SteveLee

Depreciating assets aren't generally good investments.

Mito v 500 v MINI One - Collos25

The Mito is basically a Ford so should be quite good,I always wanted a Mini till I test drove the full range earlier this year I do not think know that I wouldby one to many minus points.

It depends what you want the car for the mini is going to holdits value better than the other two the Mito is far the better drive and the 500 in my opinion looks super there is a black one with black and red leather with soft top parked in my road and I always think it looks wonderful.

Mito v 500 v MINI One - gordonbennet

The cars you mention are all coming up to end of their short warranty periods and will require parts and repairs within the next 4 to 6 years, and all of them will depreciate, no car is an investment, except for rare or classic models with associated costings.

Thanks,

Whilst I know no car is an investment, I'm trying to work out which will cost me more in the long run through parts, breakdowns, servicing and depreciation.

Personally I want the Alfa but its reputation precedes it. I thought it was based on a grande punto, but I don't think these are particularly reliable either? Whilst the Mini should be I often hear a lot of bad reliability reviews of the Peugeot petrol engines, and the twinair is obviously too new to know...?

See confusedbuyer, you arn't confused at all, far from it.

None of those cars is, indeed no car is, guaranteed to be totally reliable though they may turn out to be, and you already know that...you are far less confused than many car buyers, who, assume a certain badge means a quality durable or desirable product.

If you want another car likely to cost you less or at least only the fixed costs of servicing and wear and tear parts replacements, then for your budget you can get a very good year old Toyota or Korean car that will still have at least 4 and up to 6 years warranty remaining...do check long term servicing costs on any car you wish to buy, they vary enormously.

If you want a Mito, get one, you only live once, they won't be any less reliable than any other European makers offerings, the only thing you should do IMO if you do buy one is to have the services of a good Alfa indy within reasonable distance to keep it fettled for you once its about a year out of warranty and therefore unlikely to get any goodwill for any failures....unless you are lucky enough to have that rare thing, a good fair competent family owned smallish main dealer who values his customers in your area.

Edited by gordonbennet on 14/07/2012 at 12:07

Thanks!

I may just do that, though my partner is taking me to see a ford fiesta titanium 1.6 petrol 2009, as he reckons its bulletproof...the more options get added in te more difficult it is!
Mito v 500 v MINI One - daveyjp
For reliability in the supermini sector you go out and buy a Yaris. Old style models are good value and 5 year warranty too.

Of the three you mention it would be the Mito for me!

Just back from the Ford dealers, and whilst I wouldn't be buying new, the 1.6 Titanium looks good. I've found a few 3 year olds on Autotrader at around £8k with 40k miles on. I'm reluctant to spend £9k on a Ford as I expect it will lose value much faster than the other three, as the new price is a lot higher than the others?

The only problem I have with it, is that it feels a bit cheap inside, even in Titanium spec, though the red interior did give it a nice difference to every other black, grey and silver interior car (something I really don't like). I also think the higher mileages on the Fiesta will mean a major service (60k?) will come up a lot sooner than the Mito or Mini, and far in advance of the

Are Ford parts and servicing signifantly cheaper than those for the Mito or 500? I expect the Mini will be pricey as its a beemer.

As I don't do that many miles, mpg isn't really an issue, but the insurance on the Fiesta is a £100 higher, despite being a lower group than the Mito or Twinair Lounge? I was told this could be affected by parts prices and availability...?

Punch 130697192926 into ebay, 2011 Yaris 1.3 T spirit with less that 6000 miles, thats likely to be one the best used buys in this sector, top spec too.

Not saying this is the car for you, you might hate it, but keep your options open.

Remember 3 year old Fords are out of warranty and unless you get a proper Ford used warranty you are on your own.

I'm used to a Focus, and unfortunately (to me) the Yaris feels quite cheap inside and noisy at motorway speed (not that the FIAT isn't).

I was also hoping to 'treat' myself to a nice looking little car, which the Yaris isn't, but with as minimal an outlay as possible.

I've found the Fiesta to be closest to my current car - I'm guessing just because I'm so familiar with Fords...but I think the Mito or the 500 still have my heart...

Mito v 500 v MINI One - mkp1969

"The MiTo is baiscally a Ford ..."

No, no it isn't. The MiTo is a Fiat group car based on the common platform developed with GM. Cars that use this platform include the Punto Evo and the Corsa.

The MiTo features a lengthened platform and a significantly remodelled suspension to those cars. In addition it feature a range of endines developed by Fiat, including MultiAir, TwinAir and jTDM diesels.

It's built in Turin in the old Mirafiori plant, by Italians.

It couldn't really be any less of a Ford if it tried.

Mito v 500 v MINI One - bear807
If you are looking at fiesta, have a look out for polo too, they are quite cheap to buy, and good interior build 59 plate will be 7k plus for higher model. 8k can get you a 11 plate basic spec, still have air con and only do 10-20k miles!
Mito v 500 v MINI One - V4 Heaven
Blimey, I almost have a tear in my eye because there has been no slagging off for the MITO!

My wife has a diesel one and loves it. It's nice to drive, different to the main stream, practical and looks good too. It's been 100% reliable in the 3 years that we've had it and it doesn't seem to suffer from any dreaded DPF issues (touch wood!).

So I'd recommend it.

Mito v 500 v MINI One - Collos25

Not much about a Ford Fiesta to criticise because thats whats under a Mitos skin.

Mito v 500 v MINI One - yeoman
I think you might be

Edited by yeoman on 15/07/2012 at 11:02

The fiesta underpins a mito? I thought the HJ review said it was a Grande Punto? Id feel a lot better if it were a Fiesta tbh?
Mito v 500 v MINI One - jc2
You don't appear to be comparing "like with like"-you appear to be comparing cars you want to be seen in!!
Mito v 500 v MINI One - Buster Cambelt

Not much about a Ford Fiesta to criticise because thats whats under a Mitos skin.

Sorry no, a Punto at heart with wuite a lot of changes and FIAT / Alfa / Lancia petrol engines - not sure about the diesels, probably FIAT's.

500 shares similar underpinnings to the Ka but they were developed collaboratively, though Ford sorted the rear suspension in the Ka and this found its way onto the 500 in 2010.

Mito v 500 v MINI One - Gertie2Shoes

Keen to hear what decision confused eventually made and how the car has gone in the interim as I am faced with EXACTLY THE SAME CHOICE NOW. Want something fun, but need to be a little sensible about reliability. Love the look of the Mito but worried about reliability.

Mito v 500 v MINI One - retgwte

none of these cars are an investment

however the best car in this category far and away is the suzuki swift sport, far far better than the rest

if you dont want a sporty model, and want fiesta size, then go for a hyundai i20, much better than a fiesta and if you find one with full main dealer service history they have 5 year warranty from new so you will be buying one with peace of mind too

Edited by retgwte on 26/05/2013 at 11:26

Mito v 500 v MINI One - Avant

We encourage people asking for advice to come back to us to tell us the ouitcome - but sadly this one didn't, so we shall probably never know.

I think Retgwte's sporty and non-sporty alternatives make very good sense. Of the original choices Minis hold their value better than the others, but that makes them expensive secondhand. HJ himself had a very good experience witha Fiat 500 over several years; the Mito looks good but isn't as good to drive according to the road tests I've seen. It's done very badly in this year's JD Power survey.

The point about the Swift, even the non-Sport model, is that it's fun to drive as well as proving reliable.

I bought the Mito - but I think you should seriously consider whether you want a headache. I'll admit I wanted the badge and got burned for it - I managed to side-step a huge bill and sell it on to a family friend who runs a garage in March. I loved it though. I'm also of the opinion that the "not so good to drive" aspect only applies to those who are truly race-car drivers as I thought it was only marginally poorer than a mk1 Focus I had before. I did adore it, but I just couldn't rely on it as it had minor electrical issues (windows stopped working for a time and dash went crazy too).

I've had the 500 on hire a few weekends since. I think its great fun around town but its too noisy for long journeys (and that was the more refined 1.2). Likewise, the MINI One is absolutely awful inside - even compared to the Mito and 500. Scratchy plastics etc and full of rattles. Excellent driving position though.

I revisited these two earlier this month, and almost stuck with my Dad's BMW 116i (on HJ's advice), but again the kiss of death via an ignition coil failure meant we sold that on and I bought a different car entirely (no one could've known as it has been faultless for 2 years and 20k miles).

I've actually just bought a Renault Megane 1.6 Dynamique Coupe '59 30k miles for £6250 Insurance at £800 for me and my partner (who's just passed test) - its very comfortable, room for 4, drives well, refined, good interior and fab looks with loads of equipment. I genuinely think its an excellent buy.

Mito v 500 v MINI One - Avant

Thank you so much for coming back to us. Good luck with the Megane: Renault have had quality control problems, but they seem to have overcome them by the time yours was made.

Yes, I agree. I sat in a Megane II some time ago, and it felt quite cheap. I'm pleased to say the III feels like a different animal altogether - HJ pointed out these are now built in Spain, not sure if that has helped? It has been in the Auto Express Driver Power top 30 since launch, beating out the Focus II and III and the Golfs each year, so I think they've probably turned a corner finally - maybe Nissan sharing technology has finally helped?

The only thing I'd say is the turbo blew up on a company 1.5 DCi 106 QASHQAI despite all the usual checks, which is why I didn't buy the diesel version - I think petrols have less to go wrong!