Audi A3 Sportback - Door lock problem - Stump

The key fob for my A3 will open four of the five doors, but not the driver's door. It might be unlocking the driver's door but the door cannot be opened with the external handle, only the internal one. The door can be unlocked and opened externally using the key rather than the fob. I suspect that there is an internal link that has become disconnected. Audi, of course, want to replace the locking unit at c.£450. Is there a more economic solution?

Audi A3 Sportback - Door lock problem - balleballe

My brother had a similar issue on his A4 a few years back - it just needed some grease/lubricant

failing that - perhaps pay a visit to a trusted local mechanic?

Audi A3 Sportback - Door lock problem - gordonbennet

Yep balleballe has this right, main dealer is where you go to get new parts fitted till it finally works again, a good VW group indy will probably know exactly what the problem is before he touches the door card, and should be able to repair with a bit of luck.

Get it fixed soon though, if somethings coming loose it might get to the point that the door won't open at all, might mean destroying the door trim card to gain access.

edit, meself i'd have the door card off and have a look see, might only be a silly clip fell off one of the rods, you could nip the passenger door card off for pattern if things have fell off.

Edited by gordonbennet on 14/07/2012 at 09:24