BORA - KEN
Hello ... Honest John classes the VW Bora as boring.... anybody wish to confirm or deny... and perhaps better still advise on family car to survive 10 yrs with 8k per year in price bracket 12-16k
Re: BORA - Marc
I had one of these for a week - TDI 115 PD, it was absolutely fantastic, and In my opinion better looking than a Golf, you can find some excellent deals on imported cars like these too, as everyone seems to want Golfs

If you want it to last 10 years then you have to go for something German, French cars tend to fall to bits after 10 months according to something I've just read on here.. . . . .

We've had excellent service from VWs of all ages in our family, since buying one of the first Golfs in 1974.
Re: Buy a SEAT! - honestjohn
What Stu and David wrote is what I've been saying all along. The Toledo also handles better than the Bora and always did.

HJ
Re: BORA - Stu
Consider the Seat Toledo. You will benefit from the same VAG group engineering, excellent build quality. The Toledo competes directly with the Bora, so to attract custom it offers all round better deals. Seriously you shouldn't discount it until you've tried it. ( the V5 is the one! )
Buy a SEAT! - David Lacey
Stu beat me to this one!

The Bora is a very capable car but probably overpriced and definately sold by snooty VW dealers.
My advice is to visit a SEAT dealer and test drive the Leon & Toledo
Both are built on VW/Audi platforms, the Leon being an Audi A3 with different clothes on
All SEAT models come with a 3 year warranty, the diesels are the best bet
Go on, enjoy yourself! as the SEAT marketing bods say.........
Re: BORA - Neil
I'd first of all try carpricecheck.com. And then work out how much of the list price each car is likely to lose and retain.

Although there is no doubt that the SEATs and Skodas are excellent - indeed many of their interior fixtures and fittings are identical - you may save £1-2K on purchase costs only to find you lose it all (and maybe more) come resale.
Re: BORA - Chris
Neil wrote:

> Although there is no doubt that the SEATs and Skodas are
> excellent - indeed many of their interior fixtures and
> fittings are identical - you may save £1-2K on purchase costs
> only to find you lose it all (and maybe more) come resale.

Doesn't matter if it's going to last ten years.

Chris
Re: BORA - Martin Wall
...the SEAT warranty used to be a 3 yr manufacturer warranty but as of July 1st it's a 1yr manufacturer + 2 yr dealer...why the warranty 'downgrade'?
Re: BORA - Dave N
I reckon this 1yr + 2 year dealer is a bit of a swizz. What if you don't like the dealer, move etc?
MG Rover Dealer Warranty - David Lacey
It shouldn't make any difference which dealer you use in the 2nd & 3rd years.
It could be a little inconvenient to travel to another dealer if you really don't like your local dealer, but it shouldn't affect the operation of the warranty.
Mind you, it is an excellent tool to tie you to the dealer for 3 yrs+

Well, MG Rover now have a 3 yr/60K Manufacturer warranty - now that's putting your money where your mouth is...
Re: MG Rover Dealer Warranty - Stuart B
Reckon my next motors just got to be a 75 Tourer CDT Auto then David, either that or a C5 Estate, which as HJ said here and in his test definitely looks the one to have.

Just realised why the C5's I have seen might look jacked up on the suspension. Apparently if the roads are tad on the bumpy side the suspension automatically increases ride height, which considering the wonderful state of the roads round here might be most of the time. Hope its better in the new place.
Go for the 75 Tourer! Support the British economy - David Lacey
C5 Estate however clever the suspension, is NO match for the solidity and refinement of the 75 Tourer (glad they didn't call it a shooting-brake, that's sooo old-fashioned!)
75 Tourer is best in Diesel-Auto form, glad we agree.
The rear window opening (tailgate) is a nice touch.

Rgds
David
cmon seat - Phil Garner
I reckon used prices of the newer SEATs and Skodas will firm up as both their brands go upmarket.

Used VW's are astronomically expensive admittedly, but I think the only way is up for Seat and Skoda.