Ford C-Max - Small End Issues - LB01
My 1.8 TDCi (2009 plate) car has completely died due to an engine problem with the gudgeon pin affecting the bearings. It has just over 69000 miles on the clock and is nearly 3years old.

It has been serviced at 12435, 26873, 47132 (with a further two since then) and was due to go in for its service & MOT in June (where they identified a major engine problem).

Ford are stating that due to the 'lateness' of the 2nd & 3rd service there is nothing they can do.

Has anyone had a similar problem with their car or have any advice for what I can do next?
Ford C-Max - Small End Issues - Chris M

Probably not what you want to hear, but I have some sympathy for Ford's position. I think service intervals are 12,500m on your car (please correct me if I'm wrong) which means the second was 2k late and the third 7.5k late. You spend a lot of money buying a new car, but scrimp on servicing.

Ford C-Max - Small End Issues - unthrottled

I think they could reasonably take the stance that the bearing failure was a consequence of a late oil change. (it probably wouldn't make that much difference in practice), but I'm afraid you've let them off the hook.

Ford C-Max - Small End Issues - oldroverboy

Why on earth buy a new car costing £16000 and not service it correctly? How much for a new engine? And it will happen again and again!

Thanks for all the replies.

Have serviced it 5 times in 3yrs - just didn't get the timing right!

Expensive lesson to learn..........

Sorry misread your post, but if you have serviced 5 times in 3 years they are being sh~~TY. Do you have proof of the lubricants used? ask for some goodwill.
Ford C-Max - Small End Issues - craig-pd130

Worth a try, but Ford will probably point at the 12,500 / 1 year interval, whichever comes first. We all know that oil doesn't suddenly lose it's lubricating properties if you go 1000 miles over the specified service interval, but it does give Ford the wiggle room they need to refuse goodwill.

I have used a Ford dealership - twice (service 1 & 2) but a local garage for the other 3.

All times it was 5W30 oil that was used.

It is Goodwill I've been trying for but they won't budge - as has been previously said I think I've given them a loophole by being late.

I'm annoyed as it actually states in the service manual states that it should be serviced at:

• 1yr or 12500 miles
  • 2yr or 25000 miles

Then seperately it states

• Annual Ford Techinical service is due after one year lateste or at miles as shown

No mention of 3rd service mileage - and my report from the Ford Garage only says a date and not mileage.

Ford C-Max - Small End Issues - Chris M

How can you expect goodwill when you haven't used Ford for the last 3 services, or to put it another way, 40,000 plus miles?

Edited by Chris M on 06/07/2012 at 13:38