Volvo S40 - Sign of impending clutch failure? - Dingle232

This morning I started my 2.0D S40 from cold and let the clutch up and heard a very unfamiliar grating sound for the first time. It was like a low rumble that disappeared when it was fully engaged and didn't reappear once I had done a few miles.

Same thing happened again this evening after work. With my very limited knowledge I suspect that this may be the first sign of the clutch beginning to go? I bought the car in Feb with 49k on the clock and it now has 54k so I have no idea whether the previous owner was a clutch killer or not.

Dealer (whom I rang out of curiosity) seems to agree and quoted £1100 to replace.

Does this sound right or could there be a different explanation? I am not really willing to pay that and it's already due to go in on Weds for oil/filter change which will cost about £200 and also needs 4 new tyres in next 3 months.

I could be at the point where I can swap the car for less.

Bad luck is my middle name.

Volvo S40 - Sign of impending clutch failure? - S40 Man

I have an S40 2.0D too. I bought mine 2nd hand at 134,000 and it's now on 180,000. It also makes this grumbly noise. It does this occasionally and pumping the clutch in and out usually stops it. It hasn't got any worse over time so you may well be OK.

My clutch seems to have good bite still (i believe orginal clutch) so I'm not worried about it.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for that I will give it a try though of course I can't be sure it's the same 'noise' as yours but it could be.

The issue I have is that, IF it is the clutch, I need to decide whether to spend a considerable amount on the car given that this will cost around £750 (independent) plus it needs a service and 4 new tyres so I could be looking at a bill of around £1500+. For a little more I have established I could change the car to a 59 plate Focus with 34k on the clock or a 61 plate Hyundai i30 Premium with 10k on the clock.

Is it better therefore to spend £1500 doing all the bits on a 4 year old S40 with 54k that's beginning to make some noises or buy a slightly newer car with lower mileage?

Volvo S40 - Sign of impending clutch failure? - oldroverboy
My advice, PX it for the i30.

That really is an option, as is a 10 plate Kia Cee'd I have seen today. I am having the S40 looked at tomorrow and need to make a pretty quick decision on it to be honest though will be gutted if the problem is beig enough to mean I have to let it go.

Are there any other contenders I could look at. Up to £9k, diesel, hatch with a lively engine. Looked at Focus, Astra, i30 and Cee'd up to now.

Volvo S40 - Sign of impending clutch failure? - unthrottled

It sounds more like the throw out bearing than the clutch itself (but the procedure to replace the bearing is similar to changing the clutch, so the bill won't be much lower.

It's unlucky to have this problem occur at this age. Perhaps the previous owner used to sit at traffic lights in gear with the clutch depressed.

By most accounts the S40 is a decent car. If you have the clutch and bearing changed, there's no obvious reason to change. Tyres and servicing are consumables so can't really be counted against the car. Is this an excuse for a bit of vague virtual tyre kicking?!

Unthrottled yuor post made me smile (well the last bit did) as, trust me, after the bad luck I have had with cars in the last 2 years the LAST thing I want to do right now is start seaching for another car. In my experience you just never know what you are getting so I genuinely am very reluctant to do that.

However, if nothing else I am practical and whilst I take your point (and agree) that tyres, exhausts etc are all consumables, what I have to consider is the degree of financial outlay now on a 4.5 year old car vs what I could get for the same money. This of course assumes that 'newer is better' but there's something in me that says spending £1500 ish on the Volvo is false economy as you are not actually getting anything back for it. It's still 4.5 years old, depreciating (as they all do) and if, as you suggest, the previous owner has driven it in a careless manner then who knows what other little surprises it could throw up.

Equally, I could have it done and it be trouble free for 5 years - how do you know? You don't.

So my heart is telling me I really don't want to change as I really like the S40. My head is telling me £1500 is not a good investment and could be better spent getting something back in the form of a newer, lower mileage car with (in the case of an i30) a full dealer warranty.

See my point?

Remember that depreciation (roughly) follows an exponential decay curve-so you've got the steepest part out of the way. A newer Ford will shed money at a much faster rate than the Volvo.

I can understand that it sticks in the craw to stump up £1500 on a four year old car. But a good four year old car with a new clutch is quite an attractive prospect.

The long manufacturers' warranties often have wear and tear clauses and exclusions, so not quite as comprehensive as they first seem. Your clutch problem for instance would almost certainly have been rejected.

Volvo S40 - Sign of impending clutch failure? - Bromptonaut

If you like the Volvo and it does everything you want stick with it. If the clutch is biting OK and remains reasonably light monitor it for a few hundred miles. If it's not getting worse learn to regard it as a feature,

Something in the clutch/gearbox area of my Xantia rattles when cold, clutch engaged and box in neutral. Stops when warm. Been doing it since 90k and now on 150k - about six years!!!

Well, I guess I will find out tomorrow and will take the decision from there. Just hope it's a small and very fixable issue.

Volvo S40 - Sign of impending clutch failure? - John F

£1100 for a clutch change? £200 for an oil cange?? Change your garage!

If it doesn't slip in high gear/full throttle, leave it alone. It is unlikely to fail and even if it does you can drive it without a clutch to a garage if you have a feel for machinery. [our old Passat used to snap its cable every 40,000 miles or so - design fault where it underwent a 90degree change of direction round a pulley for RHD cars]

Suggest find good local independent mechanic and stick with him!

John I took the same advice (actually before you posted) and found a good one that came highly recommended by two guys I work with and went to have a chat with him today. The oil change is actually mainly down to the price of the oil they use and he quoted me £165. Another garage £170 so to be fair the dealer premium at £200 isn't actually that high.

The quote for the clutch from the indy was £950 so again not a lot different as they use standard parts so the differential is their slightly lower labour cost.

I wouldn't be saving that much. That said I was quite impressed with him and will probably give them a shot at the next service interval.

The interesting thing was that after speaking to him I'm now not at all convinced it's the clutch either, as you suggest. The noise definitely starts when you engage the clutch but the description I gave him led him to suggest it's more likely to be 'something' in the drivetrain. This of course could be serious or simple and I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

I hope it falls into the 'simple' category' so I don't have the tough choice to make.

As a slight aside and without wishing to tempt fate I have started to look at options. Aside from the obvious Kia Cee'd/i30 options with decent warranties would anyone consider a Corolla 2.0 D4D on a '56 plate, FSH with 35k on the clock?

I am almost laughing at myself for asking as it's 2 years older than the S40 but I have always considered Toyotas to be a safe option and, having had a Corolla before, think they are pretty bombproof. I'd be looking to keep it 18 months max and it would mean I don't have to pay out any extra should I decide to move the S40 on.

I think it's time for my tablets :-)

Volvo S40 - Sign of impending clutch failure? - Avant

I found the thread in February where you were trying to decide between the S40 and a newer Hyundai i30. I probably didn't help very much by saying:

"You'd like me to come off the (Skoda-shaped) fence, wouldn't you! Difficult as you best know your priorities.

The i30 is the better low-risk bet (unless the last owner sold it because they hated it - or did they get a good deal on a new Hyundai?), being younger and with fewer miles.

The Volvo has plenty of life in it but with your highish annual mileage there will be some repairs and replacements. And as you say you don't know how it was used - as an office hack or by an executive who cruised up and down motorways.

If it were me....I'd test-drive both and go for the Volvo if it turned out to be a lot better to drive and more comfortable than the Hyundai - and wasn't too well-worn (look carefully at the condition of the interior)."

Now, I think in your position I'd give the Volvo at least one more chance, but with your annual mileage your next car should be as new as you can afford (maybe an Octavia 1.9 TDI, Kia Ceed or i30 would be a good starting shortlist).

Age is as much a factor as mileage, so don't go for the ageing Corolla (and Japanese diesels don't have quite the same bullet-proof reputation as the petrols.

Volvo S40 - Sign of impending clutch failure? - pd

Clutch change on a S40 2.0d books at 5 hours so the prices seem a little steep to me.

Even at £50 an hour plus VAT that's £300 labour and a clutch unit can be found for about £150 for these.

Unless they're including replacing the DMF as well (which might not be necessary) £500 seems about right.

Well it's at the dealer today so we'll see what they say. The noises on it today definitely seemed more pronounced though, meddeningly, the new one only happens for 5 mins when it's cold so they are leaving it for a couple of hours.

To be honest they didn't seem interested at all this morning so I fully expect a nonchalant 'can't find anything' as I haven't commited to letting them do any work on thecar until I am made aware of what's wrong and whatt he likely cost will be.

The clutch cost for this particular car has been verified as £1100 by 3 separate Volvo dealers plus a quote of £950 from a good indy so I can't see how it can be done for £500. That's of course if it actually is the clutch at fault - I am no expert.

Volvo S40 - Sign of impending clutch failure? - pd

The clutch cost for this particular car has been verified as £1100 by 3 separate Volvo dealers plus a quote of £950 from a good indy so I can't see how it can be done for £500. That's of course if it actually is the clutch at fault - I am no expert.

Volvo dealer is quite simple:

5 hours @ £110/h = £550

Volvo original clutch: £300

VAT: £160

plus a few bits, fluid etc. comes to about £1000.

The price from the indendent is high IMO. Eurocarparts list them from £150-£250 inc. VAT depending on model year and make for the kit - it is the exact same part as for a Focus, which, as it is basically a Focus isn't surprising.

Anything much over £500 is a rip off IMO.

Well, as expected, I got the ubiquitous 'we agree there is a problem but we don't know what it is until we strip it down and that will cost a lot' response.

They could not have been less helpful If they tried. I took the car for a drive with their Master Technician who was a nice guy and agreed that the noises I am hearing definitely originate from the clutch/transmission and that his best guess was the start of the DMF failing. He witnessed the vibration between 1000 and 1500 RPM all the time and actually said he had never heard a noise like that before.

I am no further on really as don't feel that they are sure enough about the issue to warrant paying the cost of having it stripped down in case it isn't actually what they vaguely suspect.

I am going to run the car for a while and see if it develops before taking any decisions. Either way itbwontbbe a dealer fixing it after yesterday's experience.

Bad luck. Does it rattle if you start the engine with the clutch out? Good call re 'wait and see'. I don't think tere's much to lose and it could soldier on for ages.

No its very strange as rattle number 1 occurs when the car is cold and you engage the clutch the first couple of times. After that it doesn't do it as the car is starting to warm up - odd.

Noise number 2 occurs all the time whilst the car is being driven and is a very low hum/vibration that occurs all the time between the rev range I mentioned in my last post, then disappears.

I am no mechanic or expert at all but his logic appears correct that both noises appear to happen when the transmssion/drive train is engaged ergo you would assume that the problem lies therein. I am not sure any more than that as to what the specific component is; neither are Volvo but there is definitely a problem somewhere and the risk is that it could be big or it could be small. However I am not willing to invest around £750+ for them to strip it down only to not be able to find something. I had got my head into a place that said if it's £1k for a clutch I will pay it and keep the car as it will be as good as new but I am not paying that on the strength of a 'maybe'.

My hunch is to run it for a while, let anything that's going to develop develop or that the noises do my head in to the point where it bugs me enough to fix/change. The latter is a strong possibility.

As a slightly humourous aside I read a lot of the posts on here to learn a lot/ read the views of people more knowledgeable than I and one thing I never suffered from was badge snobbery.

Until today I looked at what I could get in terms of as new a car as possible for around, say, £12k and the answers I was getting were Kia and Hyundai. I have had them both before and there's absolutely nothing wrong with either......but for a nano second the notion of going from a Volvo to one of them......kinda hurt (disclaimer to Kia and Hyundai owners - it's me not you :-) ).

< >

Seems sensible. If in doubt, remember 'if it works, don't mend it'. There is an inescapable conflict of interest in any advice you get from a professional mechanic.
It might turn out be something completely different, e.g. vibrations from a baffle in the exhaust system, or a slightly loose heatshield.
I'm still gobsmacked by the price of your oil, though - I have just purchased 5l of Wilco's 5-30 semi-synthetic finest at £15.99 plus £6.07 filter which keeps my 1998 Audi 2.8 30v V6 spinning happily.....120,000 so far, just run in ;-).
Volvo S40 - Sign of impending clutch failure? - 72 dudes
Dingle232: Have a look at warrantywise.co.uk.

You could mitigate any future problems quite considerably and cover yourself if things do go wrong.

How is that helpful?

Pre-existing problems are not covered.

Clutches are not covered, along with wear and tear or consequent failure.

Total waste of money.

Volvo S40 - Sign of impending clutch failure? - 72 dudes

Unthrottled - have you even looked?

This scheme covers all wear and tear items in the engine (not things like bulbs and wipers!) and while it does not cover pre-existing conditions, Volvo have told this guy they don't know what is wrong, i.e. no diagnosis.

So when it does go wrong or fail, he would be covered.

Note this warranty does cover items that "are not working as they should" and not just breakdown due to a failed part.

And no, I am not connected to this company in any way!

Volvo S40 - Sign of impending clutch failure? - Avant

"It might turn out be something completely different, e.g. vibrations from a baffle in the exhaust system, or a slightly loose heatshield. "

Good point, John F. Many years ago SWMBO had a lovely old Triumph 1300 which made a noise nopt inlike that described above. A grasping British Leyland garage told her she needed a new clutch, but fortunately that evening she asked me to have a look. I'm no mechanic but I do know a loose exhaust component when I hear it.

Worth a thought.

Good point, John F. Many years ago SWMBO had a lovely old Triumph 1300 .....

Indeed lovely, Avant. My mother had one...I had one too. Huge comfy seats, wooden dash/doortrims, superb doors which closed lightly with an expensive 'clunk' that was better than my current Audi....shame about the rubber FWD doughnutty things that were forever failing!