Peugeot 308 - Peugeot 308 warning - daveyK_UK

Quick word of warning I was chatting to our main customer today who has a small fleet of 8 Peugeot 308 estates. 4 have now had major problems with the gear box. Its well established the 307 was a dog when it came to reliability, it seems the 308 gear box may be letting the mid Peugeot hatch down again.

Peugeot 308 - Peugeot 308 warning - ChannelZ

To be fair, anyone except the clueless knows that Peugoets are junk. Last decent car they made was the 306.

Pug wouldn't sell any cars if it wasn't for their constant 0% APR deals.

I recently test drove a 207 1.4HDI when I was looking to change the motor. What a crapheap. Awful car. Handled neatly, but the engine was terribly under powered, and after 3 years and 60k the interior was in pieces, the DMF was hanging out of it, and there was an unsignificant amount of rust under the bonnet.

Peugeot 308 - Peugeot 308 warning - tony g
h*********************/car-news/reliability-survey-2011/21st-15th/258307

Peugeots are more reliable than vw and BMW ,according to what cars 2011 survey ,,I've bought and sold a few ,no real problems ,repair and service items cost less than the German brands ,and less to buy initially .

Sorry the link has been deleted by the system ,just to confirm ,the survey is what car ,reliability survey 2011.
Tony g

Edited by tony g on 29/06/2012 at 14:15

Peugeot 308 - Peugeot 308 warning - Collos25

"To be fair, anyone except the clueless knows that Peugoets are junk"

I guess I am clueless along with thousands of happy motorists/

For work I am running a Citroen C5 1.6hdi basically the same as the Ford Mondeo and many other vehicles its done 66k km no problem the Peugeot 406 sw 1.6hdi previous did well over 200k no problems.All manufacturers seem to want PAS engines and running gear and as the previous OP says came very near the top in Germany in the ADAC/Auotbild test which unlike anything in the UK is accurate as can be and looks at many thousands of cars used in all types of conditions.To say a marque is rubbish and another is ok shows a distinct lack of engineering knowhow there are problem parts in all cars shown by the number of manufacturer recalls even Rolls Royce and Bentley are not imune to that although my personel W212 has not missed a beat so far my sons BMW 330 has been a disaster upto press although when it goes its a beautiful car when it goes is the phrase thatis most important.

My original post was not intended to be a throw away comment about Peugeots in general but a warning to anyone who is considering buying a 308 of a common expensive fault with the car. After a quick read of the Peugeot owner forums, it seem Peugeot are trying not to honour cars with the clutch/gear box fault under warranty despite the fault occuring as early as 6 months old. It appears the clutch has a very short shelf life.

Peugeot 308 - Peugeot 308 warning - gordonbennet

it seem Peugeot are trying not to honour cars with the clutch/gear box fault under warranty despite the fault occuring as early as 6 months old. It appears the clutch has a very short shelf life.

Hardly alone there in trying to wriggle out of responsibility, the list of makers who stand by their product is very short.

gordonbennet

The difference being, Peugeot's default response is to blame the way the clutch has been used.
Some cumstomers may buy into the argument and fund the new clutch where the truth is the clutch is not up to the job and fails prematurely.
Especially fleet managers where vehicles ae used by lots of different drivers may buy into the argument.

308 is a car to be avoided.