ford mondeo 2002 tdci - mondeo 2002 tdci cuts out - coachdriver

Hi all,

A month ago my mondeo started to cough and burp and 400 yards later completely stlled with a fair amount of blue/black smoke from the exhaust (only whilst it was stalling)

I called the rac and whilst I was waiting the car re-started and seemed fine only to breakdown round the corner. When the rac arrived he couldnt get any fault codes to come up and I explained what happened and there was NO warning lights what so ever.

He towed me to my local mechanic and it was left overnight. The next morning the mechanic started the car first time and took it for a test drive and found no fault until he returned when it was running a little lumpy. He replaced the fuel filter and all was fine. It was back to normal and I was over whelmed!.

A month later my car done the eact same thing. So i waited 30 minutes and it re-started and just about got me home. (5 miles and stalled by my front door) I took off the fuel filter and emptied the contents into a see through container, it looked like white bubbles inside the fuel (bit crued but it looked like semen!) this was on a sunday and had no way of replacing the filter so i re-filled the old one with clean fuel and test drove it for about 15-20miles and all was fine.

Next moring same thing. on the way to work so emptied and refilled filter and it restarted and went approx 2 miles and same thing. i got towed to my work where i ordered a new filter but that didnt ressolve. The car is now with a new mechanic who has told me it will need a new lift pump and maybe that will or wont cure it!!

so to summarize:

the car cuts out without ANY warnging lights

No fault codes are recorded.

when it is left for a period of time it runs fine for a random duration.

it often re-starts and drives NORMALY with topping up the fuel filter but cuts out quickly.

whilst stalling emmitts loads of blue/black smoke.

I have read loads about cam sensors being replaced and fixing the issue but with all of these issues everyone has said about glow plug warning lights flashing and I get nothing!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE could people give me some advice if they have had similar problems. I dont want to waste any more money if I dont need to. HELP ME I WILL LOVE YOU FOREVER!!

Edited by coachdriver on 27/06/2012 at 21:55

ford mondeo 2002 tdci - mondeo 2002 tdci cuts out - Collos25

EGR or cam sensor these are the cheapest options and a faulty EGR is not likly to trip any warning lights in fact it is probably a vacuum operated unit at that age.

Thanks mate i shall mention this to the mechanic tomorrow really appreciate your answer.
ford mondeo 2002 tdci - mondeo 2002 tdci cuts out - confused old codger
Water in diesel looks like white bubbles. If it were a sensor it would throw up a code. Later cars had water sensors in the fuel filter but I doubt yours has. BEWARE if it is this, water can damage the bearings in the high pressure pump which in turn starts to break up and put filings into the injectors. This would account for black smoke which is after all excessive fuel injected. Spend a bit of money on a professional diagnosis - at least an injector spill return measurement comparison - this is one that you need to get right, trial and error could cost a fortune.
ford mondeo 2002 tdci - mondeo 2002 tdci cuts out - Collos25

No it wouldn't if it was a vacuum operated EGR it may through up codes that are a result of it stopping but not the reason thats why it needs a competent person to understand the ,results to many people just run of at tangents with a load of irelevant codes.

Ok has fineLy been diagnosed as lift pump. I am going to change this tomorrow, will let you know how i get on. Fingers crossed or its going to the scrap heap had enough of it all now. All this effort for a car which isnt worth much. Thanks for all the comments.
Just to finish up my problem was indeed the lift pump. Fitted it earlier this afternoon and car has been running like a dream. I am a happy man although it was a nasty job to do!!!