MOT test charges: Do the garages make any money? - mikem004

Do garages make any money just from MOT test fees.

Say the MOT charge is 40 pounds. I presume it takes about an hour.

So, that's 40 pounds and hour coming in. But the garage has the overhead of emissions test equipment and overheads.

I reckon the garages consider the MOT as a "loss leader", hoping to make money on any repairs that are necessary.

I don't know if it's an urban mythm, but some garages are said to be less rigorous in testing, so it's "easier" to get through the MOT.

...overhead of emissions test equipment and doing the paperwork...

MOT test charges: Do the garages make any money? - Bobbin Threadbare

I need to have the car I'm selling MOT'd, and searching for a garage I found the charges to range from Halford's 'half-price offer' of £27 up to just over £55. Councils do them for the same price.

I wasn't aware that councils did MOTs. I'll have to look into this...

Looks like my nearest council MOT centre is 20 miles away.

Not all councils have one, and a single council test centre might serve a large catchment area.

MOT test charges: Do the garages make any money? - gordonbennet

There's a MOT centre we use for one of our cars not 5 miles away, all they do is MOT's and have been like that for many years, the chap is fair and the price around £40 if i recall.

MOT test charges: Do the garages make any money? - Bromptonaut

The official test fee is set by DtT at £54.85. Garages can discount if they want to.

Some years since I watched one being done but I think a slick operation with a tester and assistant could do at least two an hour provided no rectification was done.

MOT test charges: Do the garages make any money? - RickyBoy

I paid just £40 last week instead of the current £54(+?), then again, my total bill was over £400, but that included a toothed-belt change & annual service (both pre-arranged) and an hour's labour for cleaning-out slightly binding rear disc brakes (not previously aware of but came up on the tester's report as an advisory!). That's on a 9-year old petrol Octavia vRS with 94500 on the clock. (For those who recall my original intent... I never did get around to changing it – even after that abundance of test-drives that I undertook. It's currently running like a dream and I guess I may expire before it does (I'm 61) and like many others on here, I've really quite 'gone off' motoring as such of late. I did, however, spend £3K on another carbon road bike in March and have a 1.2 petrol 6.5-year old Polo with 30000 on the clock (daughter replaced with a Mini Cooper D) sitting in my garage for those weekend forays into the Chilterns/Cotswolds, etc.

I digress... The garage is an independent whom I've used for at least 5/6-years now. I trust them implicitly (an ex-work colleague of mine has a stake in the business) and they try to keep my costs down wherever possible. The concern comprises Sales/Repairs & MOT. Repairs and MOT are currently doing great repeat business. Sales are, as you might expect, very slow.

"Everyone seems to be 'patching-up' and holding out to see what next year brings at the moment" says my man. I imagine that scenario is going to run and run for quite some time/the forseeable future?

MOT test charges: Do the garages make any money? - galileo

My local independent will do an MOT for no extra cost as part of a routine service; he explains that 90% of the checks required for MOT are done anyway durie service.

I think the usual time for an MOT is about 40 minutes, the vehicle has to be connected to the system for this period as part of the emission checks.

MOT test charges: Do the garages make any money? - Hamsafar

Just paid £39 today at Audi for lift to work, MOT, car washed, vacuumed, and a tin of Audi travel sweets, and it passed even though they have never worked on the car as I do it all myself.

I am very pleased with that.

The local 'weonlyMOT' type place charges £45 and is pretty underwhelming.

Edited by Hamsafar on 26/06/2012 at 20:41

MOT test charges: Do the garages make any money? - JohnD

I have four family cars to get MOT'd each year. I take them to a test centre where they only carry out inspections. If it fails, then you take it away to repair yourself or get a mechanic to it. I book, and pay for all the appointments which must be booked a few weeks in adavance, online. Cost is £38 and the tests which I watch take just over the half hour with two guys. So Yes - they must make money.

MOT test charges: Do the garages make any money? - injection doc

Well an MOT centre equipment knocks a whole in around £27000 for an ATL

Installation and floor preperation about 3-5K + planning and electrical installation , and waiting for ever for Vosa to approve and pass.

maintenance charges for equipment can run at around £3000 for 4 years service contract.

Wear and tear on top .

Emmissions equipment around 4000-6000 for quality reliable kit.

Square footage for rent as MOT bay requires extra spoace & 2 staff to run, unless its an ATL and phone line rental just for Vosa PC has to be dediacted line.

You have to do a lot of MOT's and Physically they are exhausting if your carrying out 9-11 or even more in a day.

been there done that.

so 18K a year rent 2 staff 40K a year

Basically in rough terms to set up and run could cost with staff 70k a year

average 7 mots a day 5 days a week at £40 and you will see how its a close run thing !

Thats why most are open 7 days a week !

MOT test charges: Do the garages make any money? - Mot Centre Reading Ltd

spot on sir in my opinion people just do not understand what it costs to run a Garage or a business, it is not all profit that is for sure overheads put a stop to that.

I Have to open 6 days a week just to survive i refuse to work Sundays because

1, I need a day of to recoperate

2, Family need to see me As well.

Cheap Mots mean a loss leader to get extra work and probably quote for work that just does not need or require it.

I say avoid the Fast Fit Centres or Big Chain of Gargages such as Kwick Fit, Mr Clutch, Halfords Etc

They have already been on Watch Dog for Misleading customers yet people still use them because they cant resist the £25.00 pound Mot then complain when they get burnt.

The Goverment MOT set price which is £54.85 this what they have worked out a garage needs to charge to Run properly Effeciantly and by the book.

So Please people Look at the bigger picture nothing in life is free no matter what service or anything that you may need you simply get what you pay 4.

My Advice is to use a Family Run Business or a Independant Garage where Word of Mouth advertising is everything to them, we cant afford big advertising on the telly or national newspaper advertising, we rely on your next door neighhbour or family member to tell you how good honest and reliable we are.

Do your homework Then once you have found a Garage you like stick with them, then you cant go wrong, but just remember if you own 4 wheels you will need to spend money to look after it unless you are lucky enough to be a Good Mechanic most cars cost an average of 30/40 pence per mile to run but you do not get the bill at the end of the week only when it breaks down or your annual mot inspection, but you still need to maintain it, look at it like a Human being, we have to look after ourself as well doctors visits etc

The average car covers 12,000 miles per year so your maintainance costs are going to be roughly £3,600 pounds per Year if you drive the average Ford/vauxhall, if you are in the Audi/Mercedes Bracket it will be much more.

I hope this has helped you out Guys and Dolls because believe me i hate to see customers getting ripped of because it tars us all with the same brush, i do my job because I enjoy it and not because i want to be a Millionare that will never ever happen unless i win the lottery, cars are changing all the time so it is the challenge i enjoy not to be beaton and to get satisfaction out of helping people, some people do not appreciate it but alot do which is why they come back to me.

Happy Motoring and Safe driving to Everybody Including The White Van Driver

MOT test charges: Do the garages make any money? - brum

The average car covers 12,000 miles per year so your maintainance costs are going to be roughly £3,600 pounds per Year if you drive the average Ford/vauxhall, if you are in the Audi/Mercedes Bracket it will be much more.

Eek!

I think you mean total running costs including depreciation, fuel, service, maintenance, and repair and would be approx £3600 per year. tax, insurance, mot would be extra.

Edited by brum on 17/11/2016 at 23:22

yes i did mean insurrance road tax etc

I take them to a test centre where they only carry out inspections.

Is this a council MOT centre. Or a normal garage that does tests only?

Must get boring for the mechanics, though. Same job every day!

MOT test charges: Do the garages make any money? - Chris M

Can I claim the lowest price for an MoT? £20.95. The place I use is part of a fast fit chain with a number of branches in the south east and along the south coast. They advertise in the local paper £22.95 (I think), but they send out reminder letters to existing customers offering £20.95.

In my experience they are fair. Our 14 year old Punto has passed first time the last two years and so whilst they may hope to get a bit of repair business out of it, they haven't had much luck with me recently.

MOT test charges: Do the garages make any money? - John F

Can I claim the lowest price for an MoT? £20.95. The place I use is part of a fast fit chain95.

In my experience they are fair.

In my experience they are not. My son took his old 114,000m Xantia to a 'fast-fit' outfit and they tried to charge him £400 for a new cat. I paid up, took the car 3miles down the road to my honest local indy, where it passed.

I believe the trick is to warm the engine and cat up, then swithch off for 15mins. Then do emission test. Oil sensor stays warm, cat has cooled down so more likely to fail.

I complained to their head office and tradings standards and got my money back.

MOT test charges: Do the garages make any money? - Chris M

I can't disagree with you. Cheap often means dodgy, but in the case of the place I have used for several years now, if they fail, then it is justified.

Emissions are the one thing the competent DIYer can't check, everything else can be given the once over beforehand. Wear and tear is all down to the subjective opinion of the tester.

MOT test charges: Do the garages make any money? - Roly93

In my experience they are fair. Our 14 year old Punto has passed first time the last two years and so whilst they may hope to get a bit of repair business out of it, they haven't had much luck with me recently.

You are very lucky then, as I cant see any other reason for discounting the MOT this much other than the assumption of clawing in corrective work, a lot of which is going to be questionable.

MOT test charges: Do the garages make any money? - RT

I've used the same workshop for MoT's for about 20 years - they always discount the price - they're always open and honest about all advisories and repairs, whether for MoT or not - it's the only workshop that I haven't felt ripped off at in over 40 years.

As a family we've had all sorts of age/condition car looked after by this workshop - from 3-year old under warranty so no faults expected - to a 15-year old rustbucket that cost more to repair for MoT each year than it was worth but was the only way to get reasonable insurance with a drink-drive conviction (not me, honest).

I guess the value to this workshop is all the repeat business they get from existing customers - the MoT is just priced like everything else - good value.

MOT test charges: Do the garages make any money? - JohnD

Quote: Is this a council MOT centre. Or a normal garage that does tests only? Quote

No! It's not Council, although I used to go to the Coucil depot at Guildford. There they did Hackney taxis and private hire vehicles which had to be Council registered. The one I use is a specialized test centre with two inspecion bays and no repair facilities

MOT test charges: Do the garages make any money? - SLO76
For the Mot I take my cars, personal and trade to a small local garage we've used for years who don't carry out tests themselves but send it over the road to another garage who've nothing to gain from failing it unnecessarily as they understand the work will be done by the original workshop.

I've found keeping the testing garage and the workshop where any repairs will be done separate has saved me a fortune compared to past experiences with main dealers and fast fit centres. Many years back I had a well known fast fit outfit try the old squirt of oil on the shocks trick then tell me I need to replace all four or "it'll be unsafe to drive." Retested elsewhere and passed with flying colours and was still on those same four shocks years later.

Local Merc main dealer failed a 1996 C180 I put in for a test on emissions and ludicrously quoted the guts of £1200 for a new cat! Took the car away, quick blast along the bypass to the same wee garage mentioned before and it passed with flying colours and continued to do so for years after without it needing replaced.

The motor trade is still sadly filled with rogues and scumbags out to scam you out of your hard earned and the worst offenders are often the big boys. It's a shame that the good guys are tarnished by these lowlifes.
MOT test charges: Do the garages make any money? - focussed

Here in France their version of the UK MOT is carried out by testing stations who are not allowed to do repairs.

The cost is currently about €60 but is only every 2 years for a car, light commercials like our L200 have an intermediate emissions inspection every other year costing about €20.

If you sell a vehicle it has to have a valid inspection document - pass or fail- not less than 6 months old.

If your vehicle fails you have 2 months to get it repaired during which you can legally drive it as long as you carry the fail papers on the vehicle.

And no motorcycle testing as yet.

MOT test charges: Do the garages make any money? - Wackyracer

If your vehicle fails you have 2 months to get it repaired during which you can legally drive it as long as you carry the fail papers on the vehicle.

I'd like something like this here in the UK.

Our current system makes no sense at all. If you read the UK rules for taking an MOT failure from the MOT station it contradict's itself.

I'd like something like this here in the UK.

Our current system makes no sense at all. If you read the UK rules for taking an MOT failure from the MOT station it contradict's itself.

Yes it's an entirely more reasonable system over here, the emphasis is on the fact that the vehicle has been inspected, not that it has passed or failed, unless a dangerous fault is found of course.

And it's only every other year for cars, I have yet to see the justification for testing every year in the UK.

Yes it's an entirely more reasonable system over here, the emphasis is on the fact that the vehicle has been inspected, not that it has passed or failed, unless a dangerous fault is found of course.

And it's only every other year for cars, I have yet to see the justification for testing every year in the UK.

That's the dilemma - well-maintained cars don't need testing every year - but badly-maintained or un-maintained ones do.

MOT test charges: Do the garages make any money? - Energyman
A few years back the govt looked at adopting the 2 year test, but looks as if those with vested interests managed to persuade them to shelve that idea. The power of lobbying!
They decided instead to mystery shop testing stations as a significant number of vehicles that were passed had dangerous faults
A few years back the govt looked at adopting the 2 year test, but looks as if those with vested interests managed to persuade them to shelve that idea. The power of lobbying! They decided instead to mystery shop testing stations as a significant number of vehicles that were passed had dangerous faults

I recall that many petrolheads were vocal in their support for retaining the 12-month MoT test in the UK - I was among them.

Non-petrolheads just don't have the nous to look after their cars properly.

MOT test charges: Do the garages make any money? - Mchenry

Unfortunately, the French system leads to the perception (not entirely false) that as long as you pay €60-odd every 2 months, you are authorised to drive the most appalling wreck on a public road. Not very reasonable either.

Edited by Mchenry on 19/11/2016 at 08:46

could not agree more , mot every two years hmn i dont think so there would me even more accidents due to unroady vehicles on the road due to some people not maintaing their vehicles properly, what i advise on a mot one year, the next year the vehicle comes back in with guess what the same advisorys, as i have a good memory or a i can check the mot history no way would a 2 year system work in the uk, i think it would be fare easier to buy new cars as they do not need a mot for the first 3 years, problem solved when 3 years is up trade in for a new one, less maintainance and less worried of the failure that is not correct at the point of test, lets not forget our mot in the uk is set to the minimum safety standard, but what can pass today could fail its mot test tomorrow.

MOT test charges: Do the garages make any money? - Energyman
I agree 2 years is too long, just look at the stories about tyres with worn inner tread and carcass from straddling speed bumps, diy maintenance and checks are disappearing, and as others have said suspension issues go unoticed., it is a small fee to pay for a safety check. Perhaps there is a case for govt test centres, but then other issues are bound to arise, are more independent checks needed? to weed out the rogue minority, an extra £5 should fund that. A good mot regime we all benefit, think about the state of cars you used to see on the road, and I plead guilty back in my teens.
MOT test charges: Do the garages make any money? - Falkirk Bairn

Locally I have the choice of:

Council owned Taxi test centre that does MoTs at full MoT Price

Post Office Vehicle Repair Centre @ full price

My Local Indie, who I trust, @ £40

In the past I have suffered from Fast Fit outfits, Main Dealers & Independents padding out the cost of passing the MoT but for the last 20 years my local Indie has been perfect.

His son now runs the show but everything still seems to be 100% honest & above board.

Locally I have the choice of:

Council owned Taxi test centre that does MoTs at full MoT Price

Post Office Vehicle Repair Centre @ full price

My Local Indie, who I trust, @ £40

In the past I have suffered from Fast Fit outfits, Main Dealers & Independents padding out the cost of passing the MoT but for the last 20 years my local Indie has been perfect.

His son now runs the show but everything still seems to be 100% honest & above board.

I too have a local indie I trust, who charge £45 - I've used them for over 20 years and never once felt ripped off - something that most franchised dealers fail at first or second time I use them - and while waiting I've overheard their explanations to customers with little or no mechanical knowledge and they always try to give options wherever possible.

Unfortunately, the French system leads to the perception (not entirely false) that as long as you pay €60-odd every 2 months, you are authorised to drive the most appalling wreck on a public road. Not very reasonable either.

Yes- that is the perception - but the reality is that technical faults cause a very small proportion of road accidents - less than 2%- compared with the erratic and unsafe behaviour of french drivers.

MOT test charges: Do the garages make any money? - alr

Hi, we dont make any money on MOTs unless extra work is highlighted through the mot, sometimes we win, sometimes we don`t but as long as we keep the customer then we will earn our money at some point. So it is just about being patient and providing excellent customer service to ensure we keep our customers.

Edited by Avant on 25/11/2016 at 00:37

MOT test charges: Do the garages make any money? - Happy Blue!

Just had my car MOt'd at my local garage. £30 all in. Nice people, they service some of our cars (others are too new) and don't rip us off.

MOT test charges: Do the garages make any money? - brum

The trouble with the Mot is its very difficult to challenge a fail.

Ive 3 times had cars fail with the same main dealer on "wheel bearing rough when rotated", never ever happened anywhere else. This last time I asked to check the removed hub/ bearing and could find no fault Only a few days earlier I fitted new tyres, fitted brake discs/pads myself and could not feel anything rough when rotating and the car ran silently without any bearing failure noise discernable.

But, "in the opinion of the Mot tester" it was a fail. End of conversation.

I had negotiated a discount on the mot from their standard £39 to £30 as it was having other work done. And that is why I suspect they failed it and I had to stump up another £177 (they wanted £272 to start with!) . Interestingly all those advisories, small cracks to lenses, number plates etc did not reappear this year, mmm?

I know I could have taken it elsewhere to get it passed, Ive done that once before, but Ithey caught me in a bad mood and just too hassled that day to bother to argue with them.

But its highly unlikely that I'll use them again for an Mot.

Edited by brum on 28/11/2016 at 21:09

MOT test charges: Do the garages make any money? - Wackyracer

That is the problem Brum, had it recently with one of my cars. Failed for service brake below efficiency, the tester 'thought' it should have close to 100kgf on the rear wheels. The car is designed with fixed regulating valves to the rear wheels and having spoken to VOSA they agreed that it should have passed.

On the Astra, had advisories for a couple of years on movement in the strut tops at the front, the way it is designed it will always have movement at the top when jacked up. It's just how they were designed. In fact I read that someone had a (just under) 3 year old Corsa fail it's first MOT on it and so tried to get it fixed under warranty. When the dealership jacked up a couple of new cars they had, They all had the same movement.

MOT test charges: Do the garages make any money? - Andrew-T

< It's just how they were designed. In fact I read that someone had a (just under) 3 year old Corsa fail it's first MOT on it and so tried to get it fixed under warranty. When the dealership jacked up a couple of new cars they had, They all had the same movement. >

Funny, that. I remember a tale about jacking up Vauxhalls a few decades back. Then it made the screen pop out, on more than one car ...