Skoda Fabia Classic (2001) - MOT failure... indication of cost! - TheDetective

Hi,

My partners car failed its MOT today, we've had it a year, and it sailed through its last MOT according to the previous owner when we bought it.

The garage where we had the MOT done have failed to give us a price for the work, they said they would ring, and haven't. We rang them and they said the person who should have rang, had gone home.

So now we are sitting here with the worry all night, not knowing if we need to buy a new car or not!

Here is the list of failures!

Break failures: RBT Park Brake efficiency 15%

Parking brake lever has no reserve travel

Nearside and offside front suspension has excessive movement at a wishbone pin or bush.

Rear (filter) fuel system component leaking.

Offside rear parking brake recording little or no effort.

Parking brake efficiency below requirements.

A lot of the above makes no sense to me! I know about the wishbone, and have got a price for the part, but the rest, I'm not so sure what I actually need done! And how much this is going to break my pocket!

The car itself with an MOT/repaired would sell for about £700-800. We would pay up to £400 for the repairs, but obviously are hoping its less than this. Is this even realistic?

I did ring a garage, who quoted about 2-3 hours labour, £90. He would need to price up parts, but again, no news til tomorrow. I'm not sure he was completely listening to me however, as he seemed busy.

Please be nice (but honest!) with me!

Thanks!

Skoda Fabia Classic (2001) - MOT failure... indication of cost! - TheDetective

Heard back from the garage today, and the total cost (including a new tyre) is £279. Quite happy with that! Car will be repaired tomorrow....phew!