Best vehicle to carry 4 bikes - groaver

Can anyone suggest the best vehicle or means of carrying 3 adult and 1 child's bikes?

Would roof bars and attachments be enough for certain models (wide enough?) or would it need a combination of back and top carriers?

Would a double cab pick up be any use for carrying in the back?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Best vehicle to carry 4 bikes - Chris M

I can carry four adult bikes on the roof of my CMax - two facing forward and two rearwards using standard Ford roof bars and Peugeot (manufacturer?) branded cycle carriers. The CMax isn't particularly wide, so I guess any family car would do it.

Best vehicle to carry 4 bikes - Bobbin Threadbare

I've seen two cycle racks on an Alfa Romeo Brera; one on the roof, one on the back. Kinda spoiled the lines but I think you can get cycle racks for most vehicles....

Best vehicle to carry 4 bikes - a900ss
I think most cars could carry 4 bikes on the roof. I have done it on a Subaru Legacy with 108 cm bars.

My new BMW has 122cm bars so will also carry four with ease. However I'll be carrying a roofbox and 2 bikes on my car.

Good luck.
Best vehicle to carry 4 bikes - Bromptonaut

Can get four adult bikes on a Citroen Xantia estate's roof. Halfords economy racks use frame calmps to hold bikes upright and are mounted on model specific Thule roofbars. As above they need to alternate forwards/backwards and in a particular order to avoid clashes between different sized frames. Only required adjustment is to drop one saddle from riding position to lowest.

Pretty sure any medium/large estate or hatch would be same.

Provided you can manage the lifting it's far easier then tailhatch or towbar mounts and retains full access to the boot.

Best vehicle to carry 4 bikes - groaver

Thanks folks.

It is obviously easier to do than I had envisaged.

A Passat cc might struggle though!

Best vehicle to carry 4 bikes - a900ss
A Passat CC will be fine.

It's a nice wide car with a big roof. What more do you need?