Tow car for boat. - scranbag

Hi All.

I am in need of a cheap car to move my boat and trailer down my drive and 100yards along the road to the slipway.

My drive is the problem. It has narow gateposts, (built for horse and cariage), a VERY sharp turn and up a steep incline to the house.

I currently drive a Kia Sportage which is too big and cumbersome. It also showed signs of clutch distress on the hill last time I brought the boat home.

My requirement seem to be:

1/ Cheap. (Under a grand since it is going to be our second car and I'm a pensioner)

2/ Around 1500cc.

3/ Short wheelbase. See above.

4/ 4Wheel drive.

5/ Low ratio box

I was thinking of an aged Suzuki Vitara, or similar, but don't know if it has a low ratio gearbox.

I know that it will be a dog but it will only be used to launch and recover the boat, plus tow a box trailer to the dump.

Any suggestions will be appreciated, particulally concerning the low ratio box.

Thanks.

Scranbag.

Scotland.

P.S. I sugested a Fergason Tractor but my wife gave me a slap!!

Tow car for boat. - veryoldbear

Despite what 'er indoors says, a tractor is actually a very good option. On the West Coast of Normandy the oyster and moule fraternity use tractors for this very purpose, with the huge advantage that the tractor can push the trailer down into several feet (probably a metre, it being France) of water thus making float-off and recovery a doddle without messing around with winches. You just need somewhere to hide the tractor ...

Tow car for boat. - RT

If a Kia Sportage is too big, then it's not going to be easy. I too would seriously look at tractors - or a Lada Niva.

Tow car for boat. - injection doc

I used to use a Panda 4x4 for towing a 2 ton boat up a very narrow wooden slip way at Erith & Dartford. THe boat wheels used to run along the outer runners and just miss the posts and the Panda fitted a treat.

Has very low 1st gear and a phenominal gradient ability, 53% climbing ability ( not towing ) never had any trouble with clutch or slip ways and it covered over 220,000 miles eventually. 4WD was simples and under rated !

Tow car for boat. - focussed

As a personal recommendation use an old Suzuki SJ 413 jeep. I have towed all sorts of things with one of these that I shouldn't have legally, for short distances, because at the time it was necessary for the survival of my business, including a heavy 25 foot cabin cruiser from a boatyard and over the humpback bridge at Wroxham. In low range 4 x 4 they will tow just about anything. I have rescued a Range Rover from a sandy beach on the North Norfolk coast, because the RR was too heavy and sunk into the sand and the Suzie just floats on the top. A very underrated vehicle-if only Suzuki had made a version with a diesel engine....!

Tow car for boat. - injection doc

Normal weight towing rules for a 4X4 are different

There will be a weight plate on the vehicle explaing how much weight each axle can take.

I was stopped once towing my jet boat with the Panda 4X4 on the motorway & when the police asked if i knew why i was stopped I suggested it was a weight issue ! where he gave me a long lecture on towing weights and capacitys for 4x4's. I think it worked out about 3.5 tons for the panda when he calculated the axle weights ! he was only interested in the boat to see if it was stolen.

Suzuki SJ is also another good chioce and a Ford 2.0 twin can engine fits in one very well& pulls like a train.

The later Suzukis did have a Pugueot Diesel engine fitted.

Tow car for boat. - focussed

"The later Suzukis did have a Pugueot Diesel engine fitted."

That will be the Vitara-the SJ 410/413 never did have a smoker.

Tow car for boat. - RT

Normal weight towing rules for a 4X4 are different

4x4/SUVs generally come under identical legislation to cars - certainly smaller ones like Panda and Suzuki. Large 4x4/SUVs like Range-Rovers can indeed tow 3500kg.

It's all to do with Gross Train Weight (GTW) which should be on the VIN plate/sticker - the sum of the actual weights on the towcar axles and trailer axles must not exceed the GTW.

Tow car for boat. - scranbag

Thanks Guys for all your suggestions. I will put them all in a pot and see what comes out. Trouble is, most of the cars suggested have been got at by the hill climb, off road brigade so they have jacked suspension and huge tyres.

The boat in now in the water so I have all the summer to work out a solution. Now to go sailing! ;-))

Tow car for boat. - pugswhdi
SWB Nissan terrano. Very narrow jeep but probably no shorter than the sportage, low ratio box, cheap to buy, decent fuel consumption, simple mechanics and reliable.

Also if you are sold on the small jap jeep option ignore old rusty SJ's and move into the late 90's and get a Jimny.