Volkswagen Polo 1.4 S 75 2006 (55 plate) - Cambelt, tensioner change + water pump replacement - hungrytiger

I just recently had my car serviced at a VW centre, after all their absolute must recommended changes, I was advised to replace the left front tyre, horn replacement and also cambelt replacement based on history but wasn't necessary at that point.

VW suggest that the belt needs to be replaced at every 40,000 miles or 4 years whichever comes first and at the centre, all they kept telling me was to check through my history. If it hadn't been done then get it done asap and if it had been then to wait until the 4th year to which it's due again (or 40,000 miles). They quoted me £579 for the work which I declined at the time as I don't have that sort of money on top of the £632.30 I already paid for the service and the recommended work.

The website states that it's £399 which includes the labour cost too (through fixed price servicing) but the centres who supposedly participate in it are saying it's £550. Does anyone know why the sudden jump?

When I asked if there's anything wrong with the cambelt, they weren't able to answer. They only kept repeating what the recommendation is in the service book. Is there anyway of knowing when a cambelt needs to be replaced asides their recommendation?

I took it to an independent garage and they told me that my car has two cambelts so would be £120 and when I spoke to VW, they said it's the one belt only and the other belt is the V-belt (which I already had replaced at the time of servicing). I'm really confused and would appreciate any suggestions on what I should do.

I really want to get the cambelt and tensioner changed (as looking at reviews on here, it has a known fault) but not sure what to do. I don't want to take it to an independent garage and then end up with a dead car but similarly £579 at VW centre seems quite steep for me on top of the amount I already paid for servicing. Could anyone recommend a garage I could get it done or whether I should just bite my tongue and do it at VW centre?

Would be grateful for any advice. Thanks in advance.

Edited by hungrytiger on 19/06/2012 at 17:40

Volkswagen Polo 1.4 S 75 2006 (55 plate) - Cambelt, tensioner change + water pump replacement - Duncan112

First off if the belt hasn't been done then it's on borrowed time and should be done as soon as possible.

I suspect that the independant garage are not quoting for replacing the water pump etc - ask for a second quote to include this - FWIW last time I had one done at an independant it cost £325 all in but that was about 3 years ago.

I wouldn't worry about getting an independant garage to work on the car, if you are in Lancashire I can recommend a couple.

In answer to your question there is no sure way to ascertain the remaining life in a belt or tensioners, VW did start recommending a longer change interval about 6 years ago but quickly revised it down after a few failures.

Volkswagen Polo 1.4 S 75 2006 (55 plate) - Cambelt, tensioner change + water pump replacement - hungrytiger

Thank you so much for your help Duncan112. I am most grateful for your advice.

I did ask for the price with the waterpump but he hadn't got back to me but he said no more than £200 which is still quite cheap in considerable to £579. I didn't understand why he said I had two belts and when I spoke to VW they kept saying it's the one belt. It's what made me feel weary about going to the independant as if he doesn't know how many cambelts my car has, I'd worry what he thinks he's changing. Of course, I am assuming VW is right here, it is their car make after all.

Thank you for offering to recommend some garages (most grateful) but unfortunately I am in London. :( Most of them are not part of the Motor code or other regulartory bodies so I am always weary (having had bad experience with independant garages previously!).

Volkswagen Polo 1.4 S 75 2006 (55 plate) - Cambelt, tensioner change + water pump replacement - Big John

The independent garage is correct there are TWO belts, One from crank shaft to a cam shaft no 1 and another behind it between the two cam shafts. They both need changing using a full kit including all pulleys (plastic - and they break!). Change the water pump, antifreeze and aux belt(s) at the same time as hardly any extra labour required. The pulleys regularly fail on these - mine went at about 56k (interval was 110k then!) fortunately it just made a bad noise, didn't damage the engine and it was fixed under warranty (I did 20k a year at the time).

On my 2001 Skoda Octavia 1.416V 75bhp (same engine) my local independent (Beverley, East Yorks) recently did the whole job for £280 inc BOTH belts kits, water pump & antifreeze. They even found that last time the dealer had done it they had mis-fitted the water pump and it had been leaking slightly past the gasket for years. Water level never dropped though!

Edited by Big John on 19/06/2012 at 23:43