fiat punto - fiat punto steering problem - tam77

hi have fiat punto electric steering not working although the steering light not on. the battery light on but the altenator charging fine 14.4v any ideas what can be wrong with it ?

fiat punto - fiat punto steering problem - Big John

The power steering is probably not working "because" the battery light is not on. The electric steering uses a lot of electricity so if the cars ECU "thinks" the charging system is up the shoot I think the car would start but without electric assistance.

With your car could still be a duff alternator with a faulty charge indicator. When my Punto had a duffish battery it was regularly starting without its power steering.

hi there ive tried another altenator from another punto that i have and no to be perfect also the car has a new battery , i think the same as you with regard to the ecu thinking the charging system has failed . i just dont what to try next . thanks

fiat punto - fiat punto steering problem - Big John

Has anything else been "fixed" recentley that could have disturbed any earth connections?

Have you had a new alternator recentley? If you google "fiat alternator light" you will find other people with same issue(red alternator light + no power steering). It looks like your cars ECU is fussy about alternator specs. Maybee your alternator is "over charging". I'm guessing these are mechanisms to protect the electric steering.

fiat punto - fiat punto steering problem - Avant

Moved to Technical.

hi i bought the car with this problem have checked earths , clean them up but still the same i have another punto so can swap parts to try it is also charging at 14.4v and everything working fine tried altenator from this car onto problem car but no difference