Reliable used family car - shahid1973
Hi

I am looking to buy a used family car that is reliable as cannot afford constant trips to garage. Looking up to 1.6 diesel or petrol. If diesel don't want models with dpf problems.

Thanks
Reliable used family car - balleballe

Jap petrol all the way. How many miles do you do a year?

I'd go for; Mazda 3, Mazda 6, Toyota Corolla, Honda civic (pre 2005 shape)

Reliable used family car - Bigdaveg

I totally agree with Balleballe, you can't go wrong with japanese, and having had the diesel version; apparently the lesser reliable model of the best civic (the one that's like a golf, but better ;-) I would have to suggest the 1.6 petrol version (pre 2005) . And here's an interesting question, which is more common on the roads; a Civic or beemer, now have a look on ebay & auto-trader and see which is far more common to get sold, people love their civics and they keep em..

Mazda 3's i really do like, but boot space ain't great neither is rear entry (check out those rear doors), the mazda 6 is very nice but then so is the toyota avensis and not forgetting the Accord, sorry nissan.

The best non japanese model has to be the octavia; huge boot, nice and comfy, not sure if it's as reliable though or what about a fabia estate ?.

Reliable used family car - unthrottled

What have you got at the moment? Is it reliable?

Reliable used family car - Avant

And what's your budget?

My budget is 3000 possibly 4000. I have a VW Bora 2001 115 Tdi. I had the head gasket go 2 years ago and now I have been told Turbo could be on way out so weighing up do I replace turbo or replace car. I have had this car for 5 years and it has done 113,000 miles.
Reliable used family car - corax

How much space do you need? If you need a large family car then Toyota Avensis 1.8 petrol hatchback (make sure you buy with full history). Massive boot, 40mpg, solid and well built. Extremely reliable. Chain cam n/a engine so no belt to change, and no turbo's to worry about. The only thing that has failed on my dad's Avensis in six years is the electric fuel filler flap. Suspension bushes don't seem to need replacing every few years. Cheap to service.

2003-08 Honda Accord 2.0 petrol is good but the boot has a restricted opening. Also very reliable.

Mazda 6 petrol also worth a look - same attributes as above, but my experience is mainly with the Avensis.

Edited by corax on 17/06/2012 at 12:46

The Avensis is as likely as anything to be reliable. But, with a secondhand car, there is always a finite risk of components failing-and there's always consumable items like pads/discs tyres etc.

The maintainance free car is a myth. You need to have easy access to cash for unexpected repairs rather than worrying about whether X car, of Y vintage and Z engine will be the 'best'.

Reliable used family car - corax

The maintainance free car is a myth. You need to have easy access to cash for unexpected repairs rather than worrying about whether X car, of Y vintage and Z engine will be the 'best'.

Based on that theory I could go out and buy a Renault Scenic diesel with known problems and end up blowing a couple of grand on repairs I could have avoided had I thought carefully about what car and what engine I was going to choose. Sure, there are lemons out there from any manufacturer but I think you improve your chances if you buy something with a good reputation.

All cars need maintaining but you'll save yourself money if you go for something that has been logically designed hence easier to repair rather than a car that has had all the components shoehorned into any space they'll fit.

I think you improve your chances if you buy something with a good reputation.

I don't. Reputations are rarely formed entirely from disinterested logic. The problem is that cars with 'a good reputation' tend to be much more expensive than ones with a poor reputation. You have to consider the additional cost of a car with a good reputation.

Everyone 'knows' that French cars have terrible electrics that always fail. But when I poke around under the bonnet I find that all the electrics are German-and they all work.

The same goes for DMFs and DPFs. Sure there are problems, but plenty of people manage to clock up big mileages on both without problems.

Then there's the perennial agonising about timing belts vs chains. If the car has a belt, factor in the cost of a change and add it to the asking price of the car. You'll only have to do it once. Much easier than turning down perfectly good cars solely because they have a belt, only to find that the chain is goosed because the previous owner didn't bother to change the oil because everyone 'knows' that Hondas are bulletproof...

So reliability = more expensive car ?. If anyone wants to know about car reliability the 2 sites I find very useful are Honest John ;-) and this one: www.reliabilityindex.com/ I compared 2 similar cars to highlight that you do not pay more for a more reliable car, and please remember I could have compared a far worse reliable car that costs a lot more. Civic - 1.6 5DR VTEC SE Reliablity rating 26, private price £3235 on an 04/54 with 60k Golf - 1.6FSI SE Reliability rating 89, private price £4785 on an 04/54 with 60k Price web site used; wisebuyer (I find more realistic and customizable than parkers), and with regards to the rating, lower is better.

Edited by Bigdaveg on 18/06/2012 at 08:33

Reliable used family car - Bobbin Threadbare

There's quite a difference between £3k and £4k. If you've got that sort of ballpark, I cannot recommend a petrol Mazda 6 enough. I spent just under £4k on mine 2 years ago (it's now 7 years old) and it's faultless - spacious, comfortable and fun to drive.

Reliable used family car - dieselnut

" so weighing up do I replace turbo or replace car. I have had this car for 5 years and it has done 113,000 miles. "

You're doing more than 20k per year so really need a diesel. A recon turbo for your car if needed would be about £750 max if you shop around.

If you would rather get a replacement car what about a Passat, cheaper than a Bora or Golf but with the same diesel engine & a bit more space. Only go for the 1.9PD 130 not the 2l 140 engine which can be unreliable.

The Passat is more desirable than a Bora-especially ones with the 130 hp engine. Every one wants this engine-and prices tend to reflect this.

It had 77000 when I bought it 5 years ago.
Reliable used family car - balleballe

I'd say a mazda 3 would be a better bet than the mazda 6 as the 3 comes in a 1.6 petrol.

From my experience thus far - the 3 has proven to be more reliable. This is because the mazda 3 is actually made in Japan by mazda as opposed to the mazda 6 which is built in the US in a factory which happens to be part owned by ford

Reliable used family car - bear807
Why not even smaller a Honda jazz, is utterly reliable, just check the reliability index is one of the best! The boot when fold down is 1200-1300 litters

Or what about a Nissan Note, it ain't quite as reliable as the Jazz, but by all accounts it does handle better, our 1.5dci (is there such a thing as a diesel jazz ?), does 55+ around town, 60+ on a long run and only costs £30 a year to tax.

Honest John just happens to have a great video review of the Note ;-). If you do buy one make sure it's from an independent or a very good main dealer.

The Meriva's similar if you're looking at that type of car.

Edited by Bigdaveg on 18/06/2012 at 17:48