Ford C-MAX 1.6 TDCi - Front tyre wear - Edington Peter

I've just had an 18000 mile service of my 2010 registered C-Max. I was alarmed that the garage reported that both front tyres had completely worn smooth on the inner edge.

When I queried whether this was normal (I don't think it should be!) I was told that this was common in the C-Max. I asked if the tracking could be at fault, the reply was that it might be worthwhile having it checked and adjusting for less toe in could result in a more normal wear pattern.

Frankly I'm alarmed that a Ford Technician has suggested that deviation from Ford factory settigs would improve tyre wear!

Any thoughts?

Ford C-MAX 1.6 TDCi - Front tyre wear - RT

Suspension alignment can go out over that mileage so it may be out of specification - some cars are worse than others - and if it's been "kerbed" however lightly that can affect the alignment.

The technician may not be recommending to run out of spec - just get it correct within spec.

Ford C-MAX 1.6 TDCi - Front tyre wear - daveyjp
How often do you check your tyres? If you put steering on full lock and check across the whole width any problem will be noticed before new tyres are required.

My X type had a similar problem and it was due to the Pirelli tyres which were OEM fitment. No problems with Goodyears.
Ford C-MAX 1.6 TDCi - Front tyre wear - bathtub tom

>>adjusting for less toe in could result in a more normal wear pattern.

Doing that would wear the inner edges even more. I suggest you take it to someone who knows what they're talking about.

Ford C-MAX 1.6 TDCi - Front tyre wear - Chris M

Assume this is the original shape CMax? I'd consider 18k fairly good for my 2004 model - they are known for being fairly heavy on front tyre wear.

Ford C-MAX 1.6 TDCi - Front tyre wear - Jase

+1 to ChrisM. Our 2005 2.0TDCi Ghia (manual box) does about that on the fronts. On the upside, the tyres are only 16" 205's, so not too expensive. Michelin Primacy's were just under £90 each last month for us.