Ford Focus - Rattle on engine stop TDCi - Jamesey

(reposting from Motoring Discussion section)

I have posted before about clutch/DMF issues on the Focus 1.8 TDCi. I have recently bought one, 2009 with 134k. I decided that given the high mileage and a rattling sound that it would be prudent to change the clutch, DMF, slave cylinder and gearbox oil (as the car is young and in overall very good condition).

Having shelled out for the job, I was disappointed to find there's still a noticeable rattle when you stop the engine, right as it comes to a halt. Might be a bit on startup but harder to hear. I just want to check if this is normal for this model. I listened to a friend's 2.0 TDCi and couldn't hear it, but that may be a different setup?

From what I've read, it could be the auxillary drive belt tensioner, i.e. unrelated to the clutch/DMF.

There also seems to be some 'play' in the drive, so if you put your foot on and off the accelerator esp in first gear it jerks (I realise this is to be expected to an extent but I can feel quite a bit of play). It seems to be slightly worse than before I had the DMF/clutch changed. Maybe this is just normal too!

Obviously I want to go back to the garage asap if the above behaviour is not normal...

Ford Focus - Rattle on engine stop TDCi - will owisp

I have just had the third replacement DMF fitted (all under warranty apart from the first new DMF) on a 54 plate 1.8tdci, as each new DMF has started the rattlle you describe within a few thousand miles. The distinctive rattle on engine stopping was the first early warning sign of imminent DMF failure on the origional clutch at 92k which led to total failure within 3k of the first noticable noise. The garage indicated that premature failure of replacement DMFs is common on Ford cars with the 1.8tdci power train. During the first warranty replacement I had the starter motor and glow plugs replaced to eliminate them as a stress on the DMF. A straw poll of other people I have annoyed in supermarket car parks, and also a friend that is an AA roadside assistant tech indicate that this is probably something that Ford are well aware of but seem to have no intention of addressing.

At £500 a go for the spare parts they possibly do not have a motive to do so!

The death rattle is quite distinctive and probably caused by the inner section of the DMF bouncing back and forth a few times on the rubber shock adsorber and hitting the limiter.

Make sure you go back to the garage and register your concerns before the warranty runs out, even if they dismiss the DMF as being the problem. Put your visit in writing and confirm their opinion. If the DMF then completely fails shortly after the end of the warranty you will be in a better position to claim in the small claims court.

Ford Focus - Rattle on engine stop TDCi - sideswipe
Hi I have a 2010 s-max 1.8 tdci with the same running gear and have the same problem, only ford say that it is normal. Well my background as Peugeot Citroen main dealer technician for over 10 years, IMI diagnostic technician, Peugeot master technician, Citroen consultant technical Nomanie, CAT marine analasist in my present job technical staff for the RNLI, etc.
When I questioned the diagnosis that the rattle when switching the engine off was normal, I questioned the ford master tech why it had only developed in the last 3 weeks and not there before? His answer that they all do it, to which I replyed that it was not there before my boss has a galaxy with the same engine and has had it 3 yrs from new no noise? Ah some do some don't from the master tech. So what is the answer? All or some ????? In questioning his diagnosis over my concerns of possible failure of the dual mass flywheel or expensive backlash in the gearbox, he admitted that Theresa's a fault with the backlash being excessive causing the rattle on switching off the engine caused by me not pressing the clutch on switching off the engine as the noise is not there as the pressure is increased on the dual mass flywheel or disengaging the drive tithe gearbox, but I could pay for this repair as he feels that it is normal and not a warranty repair. If there is a fix or fault why is it not warranty? I have 2 Fords under 3 year and the I laws have 2 fords under 3 year old, with having this customer service from ford dealer network feel a little let down and disappointed.
I have spoke to Ford customer service uk and raised my concern as my young family are in the car, with the possibility of failure whilst I am working away.
That was Monday and that would contact the dealer for there findings and phone me back for a update within 24-48 hrs, still no reply today Saturday,ahold this make you think different about buying a ford?