Ford C-MAX - I know its not winter but...... - blackfocusghia

Hi Everyone (My first post into Honest John).

I've just got myself a nearly new Ford C-max 2.0 tdci (and very good it is too). I traded in my 2005 Ford Focus for which I had a set of 16" winter tyres (expensive Michelin's).

The Cmax has 17" wheel, so I cannot merly swap them over come the right time.

Do I either:

(a) buy new 16" wheels (alloys or otherwise - say £350 and fit the Winter Tyres) The idea then would be to change them over as and when required.

(b) sell them and but 17" all weather tyres and keep tthese on all year.

Looking at prices I could get all weather tyres (215 50 r17 or 235 50 R17) for about the same price as summer tyres, so my logic is why buy another set of tyres at bigger expense and also have the cost of £40 to have them fitted and another £40 to have them removed. And if you did this every winter this does really start to add up.

Or do I buy another set of alloys. 4 winters of changing over at £80 a shot would just about pay for a set of alloys.

Only downside I guess is that you don't get everything in terms of great summer performance, long life and winter trip all into one, or do you?

Appreciate peoples thoughts on the way to go.

Ford C-MAX - I know its not winter but...... - Chris M

Will the Focus wheels fit the CMax? Earlier CMaxs were fitted with 15, 16, 17 or 18 inch wheels. I'm thinking buying secondhand steel rims and use existing tyres.

Edited by Chris M on 08/06/2012 at 21:52

Ford C-MAX - I know its not winter but...... - gordonbennet

I was thinking same as Chris M, if they won't fit why not advertise to sell or swap your present set of winters for the correct sizes...might to be someone else in the opposite boat glad to do a deal.

Ford C-MAX - I know its not winter but...... - blackfocusghia

Only thing about second hand steel wheels it that you have to look at them for possibly 6 months. I'd rather have something better to look at.Since thoughts of new alloys. How much would a garage charge just to swap over tyres?

What about the point of buying all weather tyres?

Ford C-MAX - I know its not winter but...... - Avant

I got 16" steel wheels for my Octavia instead of the original 18" alloys) for the winter tyres. They started paying for themselves this spring when National Tyres swapped the wheels over free of charge. They'd have charged £20 a wheel if they'd had to change the tyres on the wheels - and the winter tyres themselves would have been more expensive to fit the original wheels.

Ford C-MAX - I know its not winter but...... - thunderbird

Be a little careful with steel wheels. When I bought "winter" tyres for the BMW the cheapest and most common rims on e-bay were steels. Rang Aviva to check that they were OK about it, no problem with the tyres but if I used steel wheels there was a £50 or so additional premium, when pressed they said it was because cars fitted with steel wheels at the factory did not have locking wheel nuts. Told them no problem, they would be fitted but there was no relaxing the surcharge. Bought a set of used alloys for little more than the steels and no additional premium.

Ford C-MAX - I know its not winter but...... - RT

Steel wheels are rare these days so often MORE expensive than alloys - so don't just consider steels.