Honda Jazz - Loud engine (I think) noise - sallywin

Bought my honda jazz (03) second hand in 2010 and for the first year had no complaints, found the engine kinda loud, but I heard that is the case with this model. Over the past year and a half the noise got louder, but again it didn't seem to be any sort of problem as it was a healthy sounding and consistent noise, like the previous type of noise.

Went for a drive today and there is a new kind of noise that definitely sounds like a problem. It's kind of like a knocking/rocking sound which gets worse as I move up gears and speed. It's not obvious when the car is just started or when idle, only when car is moving, and the faster i drive, the worse it gets. I obviously didn't drive it too much because of this, just went through a few junctions and then back again, and I was praying all the way back that the engine wouldn't actually kick out on me.

I am terrified that I have a big problem on my hands! I check the oil levels regularly and only looked 2 weeks ago and the oil levels were fine so I don't think it was that. I don't drive my car very hard, and I drive it about 4 hours a week.

Does anyone have any experience of this? I am probably going to have to take it to a garage to have it looked at. Do you recommend I go to a honda garage or would it matter? any ideas what could be causing it?

Appreciate any help! going mad with worry.

Honda Jazz - Loud engine (I think) noise - mickyh7

These suffer from a very well known gearbox fault,which gets noisy over time. A Honda Main Dealer will want your kids and house in payment ! An independent Garage will be a cheaper option,and probably more knowledgeable.

It does sound like a Drive shaft problem though ?

Honda Jazz - Loud engine (I think) noise - craig-pd130

Is it a manual or automatic gearbox? If it's a manual gearbox, does it still make the noise when you push & hold the clutch pedal all the way down? If the noise stops when you do this, it's probably a clutch or gearbox problem.

One other thing to try, if you have a car park or similar open space nearby. Open your windows and drive slowly in first gear (without your foot on the clutch) in a tight circle. Do a full circle to the left, then to the right. If you hear a repetitive metallic clunking or tapping noise while doing the circles, it's likely to be the driveshaft universal joints.

The latter are a relatively simple job for any garage.

Honda Jazz - Loud engine (I think) noise - sallywin

Ok, brilliant, i'll do those two tests on the car and then take it to the independent garage I guess! I'll let ye know how it goes, fingers crossed!