VW Polo, 1.4 16v, 2002 - Car not starting after short journeys - gedi mk2

My wifes car, POLO 2002, 1.4 16V, is not starting after short journeys. We noticed this more in cold weather, but it is almost a continuous problem now.

We have ecently had car serviced with spark plugs changed, and also took into dealership who did a diagnostics test, which didn't show up anything.

I am started to get worried about this being a major issue, as it is drinking quiet a bit of oil (top up every 6-8 weeks)

When we try to start car, we have to pump accelerator to get it going, and then it is very very rough, and takes a lot of revving to get to normal.

I know we ae not doing the engine any good at the moment, but car is under warranty and do not seem interested when we explain above to dealership. And typically, whenever we have driven it to them, the car is running and starts fine, so there is "nothing" they can do.

Not really looking for how to fix this problem, as I am sure it is well beyond me, but would like an idea as to what it is o i can tell mechanics

Oh, car done 45k miles

Any Help/advice much appreciated

G&J H

VW Polo, 1.4 16v, 2002 - Car not starting after short journeys - elekie&a/c doctor

The first thing I would do is change the engine coolant temp sensor.This is such a common problem that causes poor or hard start conditions.The diagnostic system does not often show it as being faulty as it is performing out of range rather than totally u/s.Worth a try as the sensor and o ring seal is around £30.The oil situation is a different problem.hth

cheers

VW Polo, 1.4 16v, 2002 - Car not starting after short journeys - sandy56

if the car is still under warranty then take it back and tell them to fix it or your money back.

Check your rights on this website.

I will look in to it, although your website not appeared on message.

I did want to give the chance to fix it first, as it is pretty much a phantom problem, but will be aware should things not go so well

VW Polo, 1.4 16v, 2002 - Car not starting after short journeys - Big John

At this age & low mileage I would bet part of the oil breather system could be blocked up with oil crud/mayonaise. This causes high crank-case pressure which blow oil past the valve seals , symptoms high oil consumption (could this be also oiling up the plugs if bad enough?).

Check this first as it's a very common fault in these engines and easily fixed:-

1) To test if the oil breather "module" on the rear of the engine is blocked remove the oil filler cap and pull the oil breather pipe from the left hand side (standing at front of the car) of the air filter assembly. Try blowing down this pipe - if it blows freely then it's probably OK - if not then it needs replacing.

2) (More Likely!!) Remove the air filter assemly and examine the oil breather pipe that runs internally within the air filter - this frequently blocks with oil mayo on low mileage versions that do not get up to temperature (oil / moisture hitting the cold pipe creating oil mayo). This is a VERY common fault with this engine.

If the oil is blowing past the valve seals then you might be able to detect a puff of blue smoke on first startup.

HOWEVER - be aware there is also another potential issue with these engines, they do rather like consuming higher octane petrol and without it they are liable to "pink / knock" - a light tinkling sound under full throttle at low revs. In time this damages the pistons causing high oil consumption and possibly poor starting - but usually when cold! This would show up with an engine compression test.

Obviouly you need to check this quickly whilst your car is under warranty.

As previously mentioned - if you have poor staring when hot the coolant sensor could be bust, would not cause high oil consumption though.

Edited by Big John on 07/06/2012 at 16:44