2.o vcdi/cdti diesel - Snapped cam belts - oldroverboy

There seems to be problems occuring on the chevrolet and vauxhall engines at about 40.000 miles, I have read several complaints on the chevrolet?vauxhall forums. The epica has now got 333500 miles on it. Time for a cam belt/tensioner change?

Any truth in this. Any comments?

Edited by OldRoverboy on 21/05/2012 at 22:48

2.o vcdi/cdti diesel - Snapped cam belts - a900ss

There seems to be problems occuring on the chevrolet and vauxhall engines at about 40.000 miles, I have read several complaints on the chevrolet?vauxhall forums. The epica has now got 333500 miles on it. Time for a cam belt/tensioner change?

Any truth in this. Any comments?

Well at over 8 times recommended mileage, I wouldn't be too concerned....
2.o vcdi/cdti diesel - Snapped cam belts - gordonbennet

No knowledge of this meself ORB.

Is it being put down to belt fatigue or tensioner failure by the affected posters?

If its belt fatigue, then is it possible to remove the belt cover and have a good poke nose at the belt with a powerful torch and magnifier, especially on tensioners/idlers where the belt flips back exposing and stretching the teeth.

If tensioners are sus then i'd be feeling a bit like you obviously are and be very inclined to get done soon, if belt fatigue i'd inspect it very carefully along its lengthas suggested by tuning the engine over by hand.

What are the recommended intervals and what are GM doing about goodwill if failures occur regularly before time...Toyota or a n other make standards of goodwill applying?

2.o vcdi/cdti diesel - Snapped cam belts - Avant

Epic a-roving there, ORB! I suspect a fairly epic typo.

For your own peace of mind it may be worth changing them now (unless you're going to flog the car imminently), assuming the car is a few years old.

2.o vcdi/cdti diesel - Snapped cam belts - oldroverboy

Epic a-roving there, ORB! I suspect a fairly epic typo.

Yep! typo, only 33,500 miles. posts seem to indicate tensioner failure. Think I'll get it done next service.(if i keep the car) GM say 100.000 miles replacement or 40.000 "in adverse conditions) ie taxi or lots of stop start.. there have been some cases of goodwill but latest case customer asked to pay £456 towards rebuilt engine, 3 year old car.

Edited by OldRoverboy on 22/05/2012 at 08:19

2.o vcdi/cdti diesel - Snapped cam belts - daveyjp
100,000 or 40,000! Nice get out GM as defining 'adverse' could cost a punter thousands in Court fees.
2.o vcdi/cdti diesel - Snapped cam belts - blogs

good luck to all of you .

Edited by Avant on 22/05/2012 at 23:17