2005 Nissan Micra 1.4 - Micra Cam Belt Change - paul97

Hi

Hope someone can help me, my Micra has done 70000 miles and after seeing 2 garages about changing the timing belt both of them has said to leave it alone as "the new ones aren't as good as the chain belt already on the car"

I'm really worried that if I don't change the belt it could snap at any time and b***** the engine up.

Should I ignore the advice and get it changed and is so any idea on how much it would cost.

Cheers

Paul

2005 Nissan Micra 1.4 - Micra Cam Belt Change - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

A Google search tells us that the Nissan Micra has a timing chain. Chains are good and don't break as belts do.

So am I ok to leave it alone and not to worry in your opinion, thanks for your reply.

Cheers

Paul

2005 Nissan Micra 1.4 - Micra Cam Belt Change - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

This is disturbing-- There's a post from 'mikem004' lower down this page (18th May 2012 @ 19:20). His post indicates that the earlier K12 Micra has gone through a period of being fitted with a chain which had a reputation for breaking! Perhaps someone has mentioned this to you and it's got you worried? Now, in my opinion, the only way that a timing chain on a normal petrol engine would break is if it's deliberately designed to do so! 'Appen they were being made out of aluminium! Chains normally stretch a bit and get a bit noisy, but a 'normal' timing chain on an ordinary engine should last the life of the car. Belts were introduced because they're cheaper and quiet, but they should be changed at 100K miles on any car if you want to ensure you don't suffer a breakage. Perhaps you should make some enquiries as to exactly when Nissan were persuaded to desist from fitting the toy chains.

Really appreciate your reply, will check my owners manual (should have done this from the beginning) and see if I can find out any more information.

Thank You

Paul

2005 Nissan Micra 1.4 - Micra Cam Belt Change - mickyh7

The chains never snapped ! (Renault cost cutting at Nissan) They just were not up to the job.

They stretched and in turn put the timing out.

Quite a big and expensive job to do £1000 +

If yours does stretch it wont damage your car,it will put a light on the dash and run badly

2003 cars were affected I think.

Do a Google search you'll find lots of information on this.

Oh,and Nissan blamed everything except themselves on this one and wouldn't pay for the replacement.

2005 Nissan Micra 1.4 - Micra Cam Belt Change - mikem004

Paul,

As others have said, the Micra uses a timing chain. If you are having no problems, there is no need to think about changing it. It's not like a timing belt, where changing it is strongly recommended.

Just remember to change the oil at the recommended intervals.

Want to thank you all for your help, it's really appreciated, I can now relax.

While I'm here, can anyone tell me how you get email notifications sent to my inbox.

Cheers All

Paul

Hope I can ask another question regarding my headlights. They are degrading and when I checked them the lens looks like it would clip off, does anyone know if you can just replace the lens without the whole headlight unit.

Cheers

Paul