Mazda 6 - Alas poor Mazda I knew it well - The Gingerous One
Ahhh it was all going so well, many years of pleasurable driving in the super reliable Mazda (petrol) and then SMACK! It was killed by someone failing to notice that were all stationary on the M65 earlier this week.

But, so far, all is going well, by the end of the day the car had been picked up by my ins co's approved bodyshop, inspected and the quote for repairs passed to my ins co where they determined it to be a total loss.

So now just awaiting the fun of the discussion regarding the value of the car.
The other guys ins co have admitted full liability so with luck this should all be sorted within the next week.

I refused all offers of a loan car, the stories on HJ regarding credit hire scams had done their job! And I am already feeling fitter from the enforced cycle to/from work.

So far so good. Am impressed all round with the speed of response so far. Just that valuation next and then what car to buy next.....

Edited by The Gingerous One on 18/05/2012 at 23:40

Mazda 6 - Alas poor Mazda I knew it well - balleballe

If it served you well - why not another, but perhaps higher spec?

Mazda 6 - Alas poor Mazda I knew it well - Bobbin Threadbare

Poor Mazda! Poor you!

Amazingly, the ins co rung me this morning and we had our settlement discussion, it went well and was resolved amicably. So by the middle of the week I should have a cheque.

Excellent service. Just got the road tax refund form from the Post Office as well.

It has all gone well, and pretty much to plan.

And you are right, I may well look at another Mazda6, but go for a facelifted once from 08 onwards. Problem here is that due to the BIK of company cars being reduced due to emissions, they are nearly all diesel and I want a petrol. So there just isn't as much choice of 3 yr old petrol Mazda 6's about with 60k+ on the clock.

Same with Mondeos etc.

I shall carry on looking and pondering....

Mazda 6 - Alas poor Mazda I knew it well - gordonbennet

Glad you were unhurt.

The third party insurer were probably relieved to have someone that didn't demand a brand new 5 series for a few weeks to run round in, followed by claims for untold ailments and weeks off work.

I think thats why you have had such swift results, and credit to you for not milking it, many would have.

Best of luck in the car hunt.

thanks. After some pondering on what to do, I decided to buy a cheap car (<£500) and so found a ovlov 440, MoT until March 13, taxed until Sept at a local main dealer for £400. Even comes with a Haynes manual and a bit of card detailing what work the previous owner did over his 9 year ownership.

I'll use this for a few months until am ready to buy another car. Strangely, the ovlov doesn't quite handle as well as the Mazda did.....

cheers,

Stu

ovlov 440 still doing well after 3 months & 3000 miles. Manual windows, mirrors and no central locking (the latter is Quite Annoying). Will do about 40mpg on a run if you stay around 75mph. Has Lumbar support for drivers seat as well, but the seats are a bit soft (because they're 17 yrs old I guess!).

Done some long journeys in it and it's been OK. Wallows a lot though, but partly by design and partly because all the suspension will be 17 yrs old...

Needed some tyres so had them done (cheapest new radials, 165/14's), also the cambelt changed and will keep it until MoT-time in March. Hopefully all being well it will just need an oil change or 2 in that timeframe. The replacement car fund should be able to grow substantially in the next 6 months.

BMW drivers on the M6 don't like being overtaken by it, however. And around town I've had no end of people pull out in front of me. As the car is white & a volvo (so sidelights on), I can only assume that they think An Elderly Gentlemen is driving and that he must be doing 15mph so clearly there's lots of time to pull out....

cheers

Stu

Mazda 6 - Alas poor Mazda I knew it well - gordonbennet

And you've obviously recovered well too, glad the old 440's still going well.

There's something very reassuring about cars of that era and build, not too many goodies and those not fitted don't go wrong, simple wiring and mechanics too, having a bulb blow isn't going to send some sam unit into a (expensive) frazzle.

I reckon you'll run the Ovlov till you decide to get what you want and probably get your money back on it.

SWMBO and i have kicked ourselves umpteen times for selling our old 940 TD estate to my sister, they must have had it 6 or 7 years now, it simply soldiers on refusing to break down or rust, she jump starts her Volvo artic with it when the dreaded computers run the batteries flat over Christmas or holidays, the 940 is still on the same Varta battery it had when we bought it, they have a fleet of cars, smart Audi's, all sorts, guess which one gets used when the car simply must not break down?...they really don't make 'em like that any more, a computer free zone, if they did we'd have another in a shot.

Will you go Japanese again?

Edited by gordonbennet on 13/08/2012 at 16:41

I am sure I will go Japanese again, after all, hopefully I have another 39 years of driving ahead of me (assuming I'll stop driving when I am 80).

Volvo completed another 420 mile round trip this week. Purchase price has now been recovered in business mileage allowance....

It also ticked past 100k at Catthorpe interchange, so done 3k miles in 3 months.

cheers

Stu

Sadly, here I am 6 months later still with the Volvo and it's still going well....

Time to start looking though, MoT up next month and even if it passes it's time to move on.

Might go up market, I am sure an upmarket car dealer will love me if I agree a sale then come up collect the new mota in the ovlov and then generously donate it to them "look mate it's got 30seconds/12 months MoT and 6 months tax......"

"Please do not leave it here sir. I can call a scrapyard for you "

etc.

Mazda 6 - Alas poor Mazda I knew it well - tony g
Hi,
Can I suggest you don't give away the old Volvo .

Put the car on e bay with an accurate description ,sell it as a no reserve auction .ive done it many times and the old bangers always reach at least £200 and as much as £400 .selling costs on e bay average about £30 .

The extra cash could buy a couple of nice extras or pay for a couple of services on the new car .
Mazda 6 - Alas poor Mazda I knew it well - davecooper

The new 6 is gorgeous and the last one was no ugly duckling, if only I could justify one!

Mazda 6 - Alas poor Mazda I knew it well - Bobbin Threadbare

The new 6 is gorgeous and the last one was no ugly duckling, if only I could justify one!

I'd have another 6 in the future, when I'm done with the impractical cars.

Hi Tony,

Apologies for my late reply.

Things have moooooved on, the ovlov passed it's MoT just requiring a back box.

Prior to MoT time, an on-line check of it's worth for scrap was £140 collected, so that's the minimum value, plus £100 for the remaining road tax = £240 min.

I reckon its' worth about £350 privately.

but there's the hassle, if I buy another car and then transfer the insurance then I have to SORN the volvo. I'm not going to mess around with temp insurance, it's not worth it.

I could sell it after agreeing to buy another car, that is a possibility.

Anyway, the dealer I saw today didn't laugh in my face when I asked about the volvo as a swapper; he ran it through his on-line valuation and it came back at £180.......so he said he could double that!! :-)

Thus meeting my expectations.

So, if I decide to buy a vehicle from them it should be ok, I won't need to give the volvo away and they won't need to warn me about not leaving it on the forecourt.....

cheers

Stu

Mazda 6 - Alas poor Mazda I knew it well - Avant

I see from another thread that you've just got a new Qashqai - so unless you need two big cars you could think about honouring the valiant old Volvo by looking at a V40. I have to add, though, that an equivalent Audi A3 isn't any more expensive, and there are plenty of the olf model around if you aren't intending to buy new.

My wife suggested a Volvo estate as well, however, I fancy some luxobarge motoring so am looking at 3 yr old execs. Finding petrol ones is difficult, but possible if one is prepared to travel.

Unfortunately, 1 yrs road tax for such vehicles is coming it at more than the volvo is worth, which I find mildly amusing. 2 tyres, ditto, 1 service, ditto, etc etc.

Bought a 3yr old 3L petrol XF in the end. Bit of a change from a Volvo 440.....

P/ex'd the Volvo as whilst it only needed a back box for it's MoT, the rear shocks had rusted through at the top so clearly needed new rear shocks pretty sharpish.

Not worth the hassle from my point of view to sell a car like that so swapped it against the Jag. It just about covered the road tax.....

Mazda 6 - Alas poor Mazda I knew it well - Avant

Best of luck with the XF: with luck you should have a car that will last a long time and be great to drive, with someone else having suffered horrendous depreciation. Nice for you to know that the Ovlov never let you down.