MPG of Ford Fiesta 2009 1.4 TDCi - thorney86

I'm considering purchasing a 1.4 TDCi Fiesta to replace my 1.6 petrol focus, I'm going through loads of miles and the fuel economy of my Focus just isn't cutting it any more. Ford states the mpg of the Fiesta is 67. I was wondering what people are actually getting? As I assume real life driving comes no where near this figure.....

MPG of Ford Fiesta 2009 1.4 TDCi - daveyjp
My father used to get mid 40s mpg and he was a driving instructor, so nearly all town work. At a steady 55 mid 60s would be achievable.
MPG of Ford Fiesta 2009 1.4 TDCi - Bobbin Threadbare

I once drove a petrol 59 plate Fiesta 250 miles for work. I used about two thirds of a tank for that mileage which I reckoned to be somewhere around the 45 mpg mark. Not bad for a petrol. Almost entirely motorway miles on the journey home, and mostly motorway on the way there.

MPG of Ford Fiesta 2009 1.4 TDCi - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

My 2006 Fiesta 1.4Tdci is giving me just a bit more than 60mpg now that I've switched to the 14" wheels with 175/65 R14 tyres. Kleber Quadraxers is what I've got on and I like them; they're a quiet tyre and grip like flypaper. I was only getting low-fifties mpg with the standard, but heavier and wider, 15" wheels and 195/50 R15 tyres. The 14" wheels are 5 1/2 J (five-and-a-half J) and the 15" wheels are 6J. We may note that Ford's latest attempt at a more fuel-efficient Fiesta - the 'Eco' version - goes back to using the 14" wheels and 175/65 tyres. The 65 profile gives a vastly more comfortable ride than the 50 profile of the 15" tyres! As for fuel, I use United Diesel's policy - I buy the cheapest supermarket diesel (usually from Morrisons in the Bolton area) and add a shot of United Diesel's additive.

MPG of Ford Fiesta 2009 1.4 TDCi - craig-pd130

Girl at my office had a 2008 model, used to average around 45mpg if I recall correctly. (15-mile commute each way to work through heavy traffic, plus weekend trips).

MPG of Ford Fiesta 2009 1.4 TDCi - pork_pie

I acquired the Titanium 2011 model with the 1.4 TDCI engine 5 weeks ago with 1000 miles on the clock. I have filled it only once and got about 62mpg but I honestly think that was a fluke but I will update you next time I fill up. The official figure on this Euro V version is 68.9 mpg. The Euro IV versions, minus the DPF, have an average of 67.3 mpg as you stated.

The engine is an old unit being more than 10 years old, is quite underpowered (67/68 bhp, 118lb/ft torque) , lacks an intercooler which is reflected in the slow 0-60/50-70 times and top speed just over three figures. But I am not a fast driver and I believe this had the poke I needed for my style of driving. I really do drive like a saint. I did not require the additional power/torque benefits of the 1.6 diesel model which offers 20% more power and about 30% more torque but is as economical as the 1.4. In addition, insurance was 15-20% cheaper for the smaller engine compared to the 1.6.

My friend works for Ford and has had the 2009 1.4 TDCI as a company car and said that he gets around 52-54mpg with a mixed range of conditions and lively acceleration. He also had a 1.6TDCI which gave slightly better mpg readings (2-3mpg).

I think these values are mirrored in HJ's MPG register and you will not get anywhere near the official values.

Pork Pie

MPG of Ford Fiesta 2009 1.4 TDCi - injection doc

we have owned several 1.4TDCi's in the past & now have a 1.6TDCi

The 1.6TDCi returns much bvetter MPG, performance is fantastic, the engine is so smooth and quiet & road tax is £30 a year. Overtaking is a singe with a 1.6.

If we drive our 1.6 steady it returns around 70 MPG, in fact over 370 mile trip few weeks ago it averaged 69.7MPG

Our 1.4's always did around 52-53MPG and were very nosiy on a motorway.

MPG of Ford Fiesta 2009 1.4 TDCi - ChannelZ

I test drove a 1.4HDI 207 (same engine as the Fez), and I couldn't believe how people can drive these things. Dismally slow. Flat out in 5th at 50mph and couldn't hold the speed. Board computer was reporting 44mpg average.

End up I bought a 1.7CDTI Astra. It goes far better, I can fit stuff in, and so far I'm seeing 50mpg on the BC.

Don't always assume the smallest engine in the smallest car is the most economical.

MPG of Ford Fiesta 2009 1.4 TDCi - Bobbin Threadbare

Don't always assume the smallest engine in the smallest car is the most economical.

True indeed.

MPG of Ford Fiesta 2009 1.4 TDCi - unthrottled

'Specially with diesel.

MPG of Ford Fiesta 2009 1.4 TDCi - Big John

My lift share has a 1.4hdi207 and yes it is not a ball of fire. Seems to have poor turbo lag - Was much worse when new!

However:-

Winds up very well to motorway speeds

It's one of the most refined small car diesels i've been in

Always achieves 60+ mpg

On a 2009 doesn't have a DPF!

Edited by Big John on 16/05/2012 at 23:30

MPG of Ford Fiesta 2009 1.4 TDCi - pork_pie

Filled up the tank yesterday on my 1.4TDCI. 57 mpg which is a bit down from 62 last time but did more urban driving and the car has done only 2000 miles. Not a terrible engine, just need to get used to it as it was different to my previous car which was a Mondeo 1.8tdci and that, despite the engines age, went like stink. Hopefully after a few more miles the car will do better but its doing alright so far.

I test drove a 1.4HDI 207 (same engine as the Fez), and I couldn't believe how people can drive these things. Dismally slow. Flat out in 5th at 50mph and couldn't hold the speed. Board computer was reporting 44mpg average.

I know what you mean, sir! I've been driving my little Fiesta 1.4Tdci for a hundred and fifty six thousand miles now and just keeping it going 'cos my pension won't stretch to a new car! But I am getting good fuel consumption (though I know the 1.6 is better), and it does keep going. Not having a computer readout, I work out my fuel consumption in miles (off the trip-meter) per litre at each fill-up, noting how much I put in to fill to the top, and many years ago I sat down at the computer and made out a chart with three columns; Miles/Litre, Lt/100Km and MPG. Now here's the thing-- I note that a lot of small new cars which are sold as having low fuel consumption are fitted with quite skinny wheels and tyres, unlike the wide wheels on blingier motors. My Fiesta was fitted with 15" wheels from new, and I was seeing fuel consumption of around 12 to 12.5 miles per litre, which my chart translates to about 55MPG. Changing to snowtyres on 14" wheels (the van version of the Fiesta is fitted with 14" wheels, as is the new 'Eco' models) I noticed an improvement in fuel consumption! The car also feels livelier and has a more comfortable ride. I now get 500 miles out of a tankful, whereas I used to get about 440 miles. I now see a regular 13.5miles per litre or more - just over 60MPG. I filled up before a 260mile round-trip to Durham and on the next fill-up the car had done 530miles. My chart tells me that's averaged about 63MPG.

MPG of Ford Fiesta 2009 1.4 TDCi - Farmer Drum

We have had our 58 reg 1.4 TDCi about 5 months now and it is consistantly doing 52mpg,although the computer says it is doing 54. That is on a mix of motorway and town driving. It is a great little car and does well for the little 1.4 but I feel we should have waited for a suitable 1.6 to come up. We have also started having problems with diesel smells coming through the vents which appently is a common fault caused by injector seals leaking. This then seems to lead to other problems that some garages stuggle with.

If you are smelling diesel, then yes, get the injector seals done before diesel in the oil leads to other problems. Ask around if you don't know a reliable garage to take it to. Or bring it up to Station Garage in Ramsbottom... They did a most excellent job of changing my injector seals two years ago, after blowing the seats off 'em whilst doing the MOT emission test! I've had no problems with them since.

MPG of Ford Fiesta 2009 1.4 TDCi - roy f

just a qiuck qestion with all you people with 1.4 and 1.6 tdci desiels

i am looking at buying a ford fiesta 1.4-1.6 tdci at the years of 06-07 or 09

witch would you think is the better year to go for and witch engine should i go for

due TO I AM A DELEVRY DRIVER AND HAVE TO TREVAL ON A DAILY BASES 40MILES THERE AND BACK FOR UNI AND FOR OTHER THINGS TO

HELPPPP!!!!!! PLEASEEEEE

MPG of Ford Fiesta 2009 1.4 TDCi - Dabooka
Your post is particularly poorly written for a uni student; take a little more care in future please!

The 1.6 diesel for me, but at that age group it could still be a lemon, so you still need to take care when looking. Also have you got insurance quotes?

but i need a car that i will get great MPG out of it due to that not only going to uni and running around in my car i use it for but its also my job is a delivery driver and it just witch would be the better option for me

im 21 with 4 years ncb+ 4 years been on the road too and my insurence is 700 p/y

and due to my bad spelling is due to dyleaxia

and to add to this i have done over 34k of miles work so it just to find out witch engine will suit my job and my traveling too

thanks for your qiuck reply tho DABOOKA

MPG of Ford Fiesta 2009 1.4 TDCi - Avant

Not everyone agrees with me on this, but in general it's better to go for the bigger engine, as it doesn't have to be worked so hard to make reasonable progress.

avant

thanks for your comment im going for a 59 1.6 tdci ford fiesta titumim cnt spell that

but thanks again for your fast reposnes