SEAT Altea XL 1.9 TDi manual - Seat manual gearbox oil change - 5cylinderdiesel

Hi

My Seat 1.9 TDi manual will go for it's 100k service soon and I want to know if it is necessary / good practice to replace the gearbox oil now? Or will a check and top up if required do just fine. There is no problem and it does not have a hard life, like pulling trailers etc. I'm more thinking preventative maintenance, but having said that I don't want to spend money if it's not really worth it.

Thanks

SEAT Altea XL 1.9 TDi manual - Seat manual gearbox oil change - Peter.N.

I don't think there is a scheduled oil change period but I think its good practise to change it. I had a citroen CX many years ago that I did many miles in, for the first 60 or 70k I checked it and it was always OK so I didn't bother until about 150k and then found it was completely black shortly followed by failure of the synchromesh on fifth gear.

SEAT Altea XL 1.9 TDi manual - Seat manual gearbox oil change - cws

VAG don't actually give (as far as I know) any guidance as to when to change gearbox oil. When I asked a VW dealer to check the level on my Golf, when it was in for a service, he laughed and said 'we don't want to be doing that'......

To my mind this is nonsense > change the oil as it will break down, like any other oil. I always have done (at around 150K).

SEAT Altea XL 1.9 TDi manual - Seat manual gearbox oil change - gordonbennet

I agree a good practice to change the gear oil, not great cost involved...probably 2 litres of good gear oil @£20 max, and half an hour max whilst its up on the lift.

I presume final drive runs in the same oil?