Lexus IS - Skoda Yeti - FUEL MPG DEBATE - William Nation

After Honest John's campaign to show up the nonsense that is the EU's MPG figures, one assumes that any manufacturer that uses these figures without putting in a disclaimer in their advertising is at the very least guilty under the Trades Descriptions Act and at worst is lying? They are clearly well aware that the claimed figures in many cases are unachieveable.

Having said that both my last Lexus IS250 and my current Skoda Yeti do pretty much what it says on the tin, 31.8 for the Lexus and 47 for my 140bhp TDI Yeti.

Edited by Avant on 12/05/2012 at 00:24

Lexus IS - Skoda Yei - FUEL MPG DEBATE - Pat L

I've found the combined figure a pretty good guide on my last couple of cars.

Out of interest, how are you finding the Yeti 140? Is it 4x4? I'm tempted but I'm struglling to win over my wife and son who are badge snobs! (currently own Passat 140).

Lexus IS - Skoda Yei - FUEL MPG DEBATE - Buster Cambelt

When I had a Yeti (110 bhp 2wd) it NEVER achieved more than 38mpg and was regularly down in the 20s despite living its life mainly on A roads and Motorways. It seemed to be constantly cleaning its DPF and would drop below 10mpg whilst doing that.

My view is that this car is a triumph of marketing over reality and but for the constant promotion by the VAG fan club at Auto Express it would have quietly disappeared as the also-ran it is.

Lexus IS - Skoda Yei - FUEL MPG DEBATE - unthrottled

ne assumes that any manufacturer that uses these figures without putting in a disclaimer in their advertising is at the very least guilty under the Trades Descriptions Act and at worst is lying?

No, William. They are following a test cycle mandated by EU law. It is the flawed test whose failings are not the responsibility for car manufacturer since they did not devise the test.

I assume that you've sent an enraged letter to the DVLA demanding to pay more road tax because your car isn't matching the official fuel economy...

Lexus IS - Skoda Yei - FUEL MPG DEBATE - jamie745

I assume that you've sent an enraged letter to the DVLA demanding to pay more road tax because your car isn't matching the official fuel economy...

I'm at the maximum of what they b***** charge!

Lexus IS - Skoda Yei - FUEL MPG DEBATE - balleballe

I'm sure a woman recently won a law suit against Honda for 'unrealistic' mpg claims in the US

The way things tend to go; I wouldnt be suprised if the same sort of thing starts happening here

Honda appealed and the decision was, quite correctly, reversed.

If anyone needs sueing, it is the meddling politicians who mandate these fantasy figures.

Lexus IS - Skoda Yei - FUEL MPG DEBATE - balleballe

I'm glad to hear that!

Or rather; just get rid of them. With their 'benefits' their average wage is far too inflated. I Can't see a need for them, other than to kiss the PM's backside

Lexus IS - Skoda Yei - FUEL MPG DEBATE - jamie745

The British Government didnt make these tests, you can thank your unelected Brussells mob for that.

Lexus IS - Skoda Yei - FUEL MPG DEBATE - daveyjp
I'm pretty sure I put a Tick in a box for my MEP, so how are they unelected?

The MEPs rubber stamped the legislation, but the details would have been negoitiated by various unelected sub committees.

MPG numbers have suffered the same fate as GCSE grades. The desire for year on year 'improvements' can only be achieved by rampant inflation, in which genuine progress is lost in the inflationary noise, and public confidence in the system is lost.

Lexus IS - Skoda Yei - FUEL MPG DEBATE - thunderbird

MPG numbers have suffered the same fate as GCSE grades.

Correct, every new model or update has better "official" figures than its predecessor whereas in the real world they achieve about the same mpg.

I take absolutely no notice of the figures when buying simply because every car in the same market area has exactly the same figure. A few years ago the "magic figure for a diesel was 62.9 mpg which translated to 119 CO's which is £30 a year tax. Now it 75 ish mpg which translates as 99 CO's and £0 tax. The cars use the same basic engines, have about the same power but probably weigh more thus how can the mpg improve.

The figures are only useful for calculating annual road tax £££'s and the company car tax bracket, forget the mpg.