Any - 7 seater 47+ mpg for £4k? Is it possible? - mrhclarke
With a growing family, long work commute and growing household bills, I would like to sell my 9 year old Octavia estate diesel for a more spacious 7 seater. My dilemma is that I need a very economic diesel to match my Octavia but my budget will not stretch to the current model of mpv for any manufacturer. It seems to me that only the latest Galaxy's, Grand Picassos', Sharan's etc can achieve really good mpg. Does anyone know of an older model in my budget that can get close to the 50mpg? I'm not a brand snob or someone bothered by styling. I just want practicality and economy. Am I asking the impossible? I know in 5 years time this should be possible... But today?
Any advise most welcome...
Any - 7 seater 47+ mpg for £4k? Is it possible? - unthrottled

I don't believe the latest diesels are any more efficient than the slightly older ones. Wasn't the galaxy available with the VW 1.9 Pd engine? It's a bit clattery at idle and gruff under hard load but it's as efficient as anything else.

47mpg will be hard to achieve with anything that size, but it is achievable depending on how it is driven.

Any - 7 seater 47+ mpg for £4k? Is it possible? - Tonto1

Heavens knows what the reliability will be like, but plenty of Renault Grand Scenics seem to go for not more than £4k (1.5Dci or 1.9) once they hit 5/6 years of age. Likewise, plenty of last generation (or more recent high mileage) Zafira's, which according to real life figues on here , will just about hit your cost/MPG target.

Any - 7 seater 47+ mpg for £4k? Is it possible? - Sulphur Man

There must be a few tidy Citroen Berlingo's out there for that sort of money, with the optional 7-seat Family Pack. The 1.6HDI engine, with the 150,000 mile cambelt change intervals, is the one to seek out.

Also check out Renault Kangoo, Fiat Doblo.

Any - 7 seater 47+ mpg for £4k? Is it possible? - Avant

If you need the room, I agree wuth Unthrottled: go for a Galaxy / Sharan / Alhambra with the 1.9 TDI engine.

If you don't need something as big as that, look at a diesel Toyota Verso.