Ford Maverick - Which to buy? CRV mk1 or Maverick mk2 - cherryred80

Hi all

First post so please bear with me. I've been looking at reviews online and am more confused than ever - I can google with the best of them so this question isn't out of research laziness....

I'm looking for a small SUV that can get through maybe a bit of light snow. TBH it's the interior space I'm looking for as much as anything else, I drive a saloon at the moment and find it inflexible. I want something that isn't painfully slow, and is reasonable to maintain, so I'm not interested in Freelanders, which seem to have a high number of 'Friday cars'. I have a limited purchase budget but can afford to service and maintain, within reason. I like the mk1 Honda CRV, but I've seen a few Ford Mavericks that look good value too. I'm looking at the 2.0 Zetec Maverick, the same car as the Mazda Tribute, not the Nissan Terrano version.

There are more Hondas to choose from, as the Maverick was only on sale for a couple of years and wasn't popular, but the Maverick is shorter (which is important to me as I have to park on the street and my current 190E is long enough!) I also think the 2.0 Zetec is a pretty good engine for a Ford. Hondas have an excellent reputation for reliability, but most in my price bracket don't have full service history, and none have Honda history, which I was led to believe is key - as they need to be maintained using OEM fluids, etc.

I prefer the styling of the Maverick and it has more space inside, plus it doesn't have a tailgate-mounted spare.

Is this a no-brainer? Should I stick with the tried and tested Honda and just look for a good one or is the Maverick a contender? US sites show opinions on the CRV Mk1 vs the equivalent Ford Escape as being pretty equally divided, with the Ford being slightly better in the rough stuff due to having a dash button to lock the 4x4. I don't know how much use that'd get - I'm not an offroad person, I just want something with space that'll get me to work when the weather is bad (and figure that spring is a good time to look!)

The issue with the US websites is that they invariably compare the 2.0 CRV (auto or manual) with the 3.0 V6 Escape/Maverick, and I'm looking for a 2.0 manual Maverick .(Although it's a shame the 2.0 doesn't get leather like the 3.0).

Part of me wants someone to tell me the Ford is a decent prospect, because it appeals more, but if the CRV is a vastly better car, or even just a noticeably better car, then I'd be mad to go for the chunky styling over quality.

Any opinions gratefully received and thank you for reading my post!

Ford Maverick - Which to buy? CRV mk1 or Maverick mk2 - Dabooka

All I can say is I've been an owner driver of the Tribute for about 18 months.

I bought a '52 plate with 50k on from a colleague who had owned it for about 4-5 years (I'm the third owner). Rationale sounds very similar to yours TBH, I live down a farm track and when it snows we and my neighbours will usually get snowed in. When my pal mentioned he was getting a new car, I borrowed his Tribute for the weekend and went for it soon afterwards. I know they're very similar to the Maverick (I believe the Mazda had better suspension, but how noticable it is I couldn't say).

Mileage = I get about 26mpg on my daily commute which is mainly stop / start journey. Occasionally I drive down to Leeds which returns nearer to 30 (about 50% A1 50% fighting through Leeds itself!). I don't do high miles so I'm not too worried about this. When needed the 4 wheel / all wheel drive system has been fine and automatically engages too (the base models are 2wd only, so be warned).

It's not the quickest of beasts, I rarely push mine past 60-65, but it gets me to work on time! Can't say feel lost at the lights or anything and don't worry about pulling away on roundabouts either. Space wise, it's great. Frequent trips to the tip, B&Q etc, and room in the back aplenty for the pram. The CR-V which I often look it and wonder about, does seem noticably smaller. Has all the basics covered too; lots of airbags (front and side), Isofix for the kiddy seat, cruise control, good a/c and electric sunroof

Only bad things I'd say is the age means a timing belt might be due, but that only set me back a couple of hundred including a full service with my chap. The thermostat housing is a known fault of the 2.0 Zetec which is about £100 plus fitting (I think). Finally, the steel used by Ford seems paper thin so a good check for rust is essential, especially around the rear arches; they put "lovely" plastic ttims on which can hide a mulitude of sins! Also the rear undersid needs checking, otherise I've had no problems. Polishes up a treat in fact.

I know my views are the Mazda and not the Ford, but the motor really has done everything I asked for. There does seem to be plenty available for not much money BUT I did know the history of mine; I knew the owners and how it was used and abused.

HTH!

Ford Maverick - Which to buy? CRV mk1 or Maverick mk2 - cherryred80

That's really helpful, thanks!

Ford Maverick - Which to buy? CRV mk1 or Maverick mk2 - tomodogman

hi all i can honestly say the ford maverick xlt knocks spots of any freelander the honda is a good vehicle but you get so much more for your money with the ford and to be fair there not bad off road either,i had the an old nissan terrano (same as mk1 maverick)which was also a brilliant motor i now own an xlt and i cant fault it value for money,spacious,reliable,id have no hesitation recomending the maverick

Ford Maverick - Which to buy? CRV mk1 or Maverick mk2 - daveycooper

I had a honda Cr-v with an auto. Fantastic engine, pulled quickly and practicality/comfort was great BUT had to get rid of it a few months in as i had the dreaded diff problems that I spent £000's on but never resolved. To be fair it had high mileage and I bought it at auction so no test drive before hand. I wouldn't say no outright to the honda - just make sure you test drive it and when going around a corner listen for any knocks. Also look for fluid change of teh diff in the service history. The above makes it sound unreliable, but my guess would be that an old 4x4 ford ain't gonna be any better!