Lexus RX350 - Brake Disc Wear - BowoodCookie

My local dealer is telling me my RX350 requires a second set of replacement brake discs in less than 50k miles. Is ~25k miles reasonable mileage for a set of brake discs on an RX?

Lexus RX350 - Brake Disc Wear - unthrottled

Depends on the sort of miles. Do you not use the brakes much?

17m each way daily commute plus 1-2 motorway runs a month. Average mileage ~10k per annum. Commute is along open single carriageway country roads, averaging say 40-50mph, so not so much breaking?

Lexus RX350 - Brake Disc Wear - gordonbennet

Depends too on type of pads you are using.

Some drivers do get through a set of pads and discs in the sort of mileage you mention, as said much depends on your driving and routes encountered...plus your auto has little or no engine braking.

Even our little C2VTS required new discs at 30k, and that has excellent engine braking from its Diesel lump...my missus's lead boots i blame..:-)

Lexus RX350 - Brake Disc Wear - unthrottled

If the rear discs go first, it isn't excessive use...

It's the front that are most wore: 75-80% but rears are 75% also. My concern is that this wear is double that of my other car, and Audi A8 Quattro, which is of similar age/mileage?

Pads are originals as the car has always been maintained by Lexus. Like you, it could be my wife's lead foot as she's the main driver.

Lexus RX350 - Brake Disc Wear - craig-pd130

I would be tempted to be a little sceptical about what the dealer is telling you.

According to the VW dealer who used to service my company Passat, the car had brake pads that would magically regenerate themselves between services.

I kept all the service invoices, and after the 2nd annual service, the invoice reported '4mm remaining on rear brake pads'.

The 3rd invoice reported 6mm remaining, the 4th, 6mm, etc. When sold after 60K+ miles and 5+ years, it was still on the original discs and pads.

The RX is a big, heavy car and is likely to be hard on its brakes, it's true. Perhaps get the station that does the car's MOT to give you a second opinion?

Thanks Craig. I've raised the issue with Lexus and will track down a local independent for a second opinion.