citroen berlingo - All these different engines - spring

Daughter set on one of these. Why, you ask. Economy, price and occasionally, with 2 back seats out, for camping. The next bit is tricky - I've got to find one. About 5-9 years old. There are so many variations. Assuming 10-12 K miles annually, and a vehicle with 40 to 80K already on the clock, how do I compare 1.4, 1.6p, 1.6D, 1.9D and 2.0 D. And is a TD desirable .

Thank you for any help - am desperate to blame HJ if I get it wrong.

Colin S

citroen berlingo - All these different engines - jamie745

The 1.4 would be like driving through treacle. The 1.9 turbo-diesels are rough as hell. As with all French diesels the ideal engine is the 2.0HDi for the best all round balance.

citroen berlingo - All these different engines - daveyjp
A friend has just swapped his 1.9 non turbo Berlingo work van after 6 years and 130,000 miles. It would never set speed records, but it did 50mg as a minimum and never missed a beat.
citroen berlingo - All these different engines - unthrottled

1.9 non turbo Berlingo work van after 6 years and 130,000 miles. It would never set speed records, but it did 50mg as a minimum

Wow! I'd be surprised if 2.0Hdi would do much more than 50mpg in a Berlingo. As Jamie says, this is the one you want.

citroen berlingo - All these different engines - Bromptonaut

The 1.4 would be like driving through treacle. The 1.9 turbo-diesels are rough as hell. As with all French diesels the ideal engine is the 2.0HDi for the best all round balance.

Don't think there was a turbo 1.9. The later DW3 is certainly N/A and I don't think the TD version of the XUD went in Berlingos. Our 1.9 while unmistakeably diesel is far from 'rough as hell', Perfectly acceptable in the cruise at 65/70; conversation easy at normal vocal levels.

First of all they're excellent cars that do exactly what the tin says. No luxuries but comfortable and capable of lugging same loads as a medium large estate car. Our 2005 model has done 105k pretty well trouble free miles, certainly never let us down. First car I''ve owned that's got anywhere near that mileage and never been flatbacked home.

No knowledge of petrols (though I'd certainly not want a 1.4) the diesel history is broadly as follows.

Early models, up to around 2001, used 1.7 or 1.9 versions the venerable XUD indirect injection unit that premiered on the Pug 305 and powered a generation of PSA cars including the 405, BX, Xantia, 306, ZX etc.

2001/2 saw the arrival of the HDi 2.0 unit in 90PS flavour. Good engines but fearsomely complex and expensive when (rarely) they go badly wrong.

At the 'base' end of the market a 1.9D indirect injection engine based on the HDI block but with a simple injection system based on an electronically controlled mechanical pump. Only about 70PS but our is one of these and it's as fast as athing else once it geys to 70. Sryggles to hit 40mpg though. Ours has been as far north as the Butt of Lewis and as far south as Cannes wityhout a murmer of complaint from the fast growing kids in the back.

2006 saw the 2.0 HDi superceded by a 90PS 1.6 version and a lower powered 70PS version to replace the 1.9D while being Euro emission compliant.

90 ps versions are better performers than the 1.9 and much more economical but were a £1k premium new which I suspect feed through inot S/H prices.

Apologies for the carp typing above. Rushed post before jumping in the 'lingo to collect The Lad and his g/f from cinema.

citroen berlingo - All these different engines - Carole4X4
Maybe I was unlucky but my 2009 belingo xtr was almost as bad as the 11 plate Megane I've just got rid of.
Yes the berlingo was great for the job of lugging my RC gear or my dad's electric wheelchair etc but in 6000 or so miles it had numerous problems with DMF ( replaced 3 times in total ) gearbox and clutches ( yes plural clutches ) the clutch would fail after the DMF failed and the whole lot managed to mangle the gearbox housing. It also had 2 new power steering boxes and pumps however I'm sure the dealer never actually changed the 2nd lot as they also claimed to have done numerous lengthy test drives at the same time but mileage checks proved otherwise.
In the year I had it it also had a new fuel pump and injectors.

I will say it was a great car in the snow, when others were stuck fast the berlingo would keep going. Comfort was good too and the sliding rear doors very useful.

The xtr version I had was fitted with the 1.6hdi 90ps engine and was very nippy when it ran properly but fuel efficiency was nothing to write home about, best I could get on a long run was around 46mpg ( I'm getting 40+ mpg out of my 1.6 petrol Qashqai round town at the minute).

In all I'd say the berlingo was a better car than the Renault Megane I had, but if I was buying used I'd want a very very comprehensive warranty and full SH.

One other thing I was told with the newer berlingos is that the steering geometry is set up to pull slightly to the left thus if you ever take your hands off the wheel ( a trick used on test drives to check steering etc) it will veer to the left.

Hope this helps.

Carole.
citroen berlingo - All these different engines - BigJohnD

Go for the DV6 1.6HDi, a 110 if you can find one. Both the 90 and 110 are rock solid engines, powerful and economical, but the oil MUST be changed on or before 12,500 miles (20,000km) to ensure turbo longevity.

Review

As for French cars supposedly designed to drift left, it's a myth and dangerous. If your Citroën, Renault or Peugeot does it, then get the tracking checked and sorted.

Edited by BigJohnD on 28/04/2012 at 00:58

citroen berlingo - All these different engines - mlj

The 1.6 HDI 90PS is a better engine than the 2.0HDI. More responsive and certainly more economical. Mine has now done 75K from new and has been 100% reliable. I've driven to the south of France and Italy four or five times. Very comfortable and has taken all I've thrown at it (and in it!).

Recommended.

citroen berlingo - All these different engines - Mike H

I've driven very few diesels, and never owned one, but I must say I was impressed by the 1.6HDI 90PS in my father's motability Peugeot Partner. I drove it for just a couple of hours along twisty B-roads, so some varied driving, I was surprised by how smooth it seemed, and quite torquey (although nothing like the 420Nm in my Saab!). Wrong car for my dad though, he lives in the middle of Portsmouth and has covered 9,000 miles in two years - including a 1500 mile trip to visit us in Austria! He assured me he found himself overtaking lorries at 85mph, a tremendous velocity for him, so I guess that it's a compliment really that it was pulling well enough at that speed for him to not notice how fast he was going! And it's been reliable despite the little use.

Not impressed by the rest of the vehicle - practical certainly, but too high & wobbly for me. I like the idea of the same engine in a proper car.

Edited by Mike H on 28/04/2012 at 10:30

Our 2005 model has done 105k pretty well trouble free miles, certainly never let us down. First car I''ve owned that's got anywhere near that mileage and never been flatbacked home.

s.

Should have kept my trap shut. Clutch cable wernt this morning just by Meol Brace rbt on the A5. Trailered back home and sitting folorn on my drive.

Rest of family were picked up and taken home by our weekend hosts. When I've had tea and a bun I'll try again in the Xantia!!